The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Converting and playing on the PSP

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #97439  by Zeus
 Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:28 pm
OK, so I just got a PSP and wanna put shit on it. So, I put some jpgs, mp3s, and mp4s (a converted video) on it so I can actually use it as a multimedia device (like it's supposed to be used). Of course, it won't recognize any of the pictures, mp3s, or mp4s. Anyone know why? It's a new system, so I'm assuming it has the 2.0 firmware.

I just want the damned thing to do what it supposed to. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to play ripped games, just everything else.

#97448  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:39 am
OK, after an hour of searching, we finally find out that movie files MUST be named MNV00001 and after (sequentially) in order for the system to recognize them:

http://home.satx.rr.com/mybsod2/pspfolderfilechart.htm

Fuck it's a pain in the ass to get the shit to work on this thing.....

#97449  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:36 am
If you're just going to use it as a multi-media device then why didn't you get an iPod instead?

#97455  by Lox
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:19 am
The Seeker wrote:If you're just going to use it as a multi-media device then why didn't you get an iPod instead?
I personally like the PSP screen a little bit better than the Ipod screen for video and stuff like that. It feels more comfortable to me to hold the PSP and view videos than the Ipod.

It is a pain to get the videos and stuff to work on the PSP. I haven't bothered to put anything on my PSP in a while so I forgot about all that stuff you found, Zeus.

#97456  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:30 am
Lox wrote:
The Seeker wrote:If you're just going to use it as a multi-media device then why didn't you get an iPod instead?
I personally like the PSP screen a little bit better than the Ipod screen for video and stuff like that.
You'll know a lot better than me (since I don't own either system), but wouldn't the iPod's 60GB's, vast amount of supported formats, and ease of usage more than make up for the 2.5 inch screen (as opposed to the PSP's 4.3)? As far as media device goes.

#97457  by Lox
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:24 am
You have a point about the storage space. The 60GB in the Ipod is really nice. I guess it's a trade-off. Nice screen but you have to micromanage your media or smaller screen and you have more freedom.

What formats does the Ipod support? I thought it was just mp4 like the PSP.

#97458  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:42 am
I guess it is just MP4's as well for video, I did a search for "iPod format video support" and found links to a bunch of popular formats to MP4 converters. I haven't done any extensive research on PSP or iPods, I really just hear from word of mouth (people are always trying to sell me an iPod or Pocket PC =P).

#97460  by Flip
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:40 pm
The PSP Movie Creator program is totally worth the 30 bucks. I can fit 2 good quality 2 hour movies (and some pics and music) on my 1 gig mem stick pretty easily. You can probably fit 3 movies if you record them with the quality slightly down.

As far as the pics and music, once you have your mem stick formatted it should be as easy as dropping them in the pre-created folders... The movies are the only hard thing, the rest is easy to get to work. You can set a pic as your background, if you havent figured that out yet.

#97461  by Flip
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:41 pm
There are also some free software out there to get a movie onto the PSP, but i like PSP MC's one step easy approach. The free ways require 2 or 3 programs.

#97470  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:34 pm
I'm a games collector and already have 4 games for it (only one over $20 Cdn so far :-). There are games for it I want, but it's got much more capabilities than that so I wanna use them. That's why I got a 2GB stick before I even got the system (should be here this week). Also, I got the system for free. And I don't even have 60GB on my home comp so I REALLY don't need that on the go. Not to mention the screen's twice as large (I'm looking at my bud's iPoD video vs my PSP right now) and WAAAAAAAY better for movies, which is my main multimedia use (well, TV shows too).

Besides, I don't really listen to music and the iPoD video screen is way too small. I got one of those for free as well (30GB version) but got rid of it (for $300; fucking thing was engraved with my company's name, so that was the best I was gonna get) like BL with Ish the morning after a night of drinking. The iPoD doesn't do what I want on any level. I actually hate them and the zombification they - and cellphones - are causing in society.
Last edited by Zeus on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#97471  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:37 pm
Flip wrote:There are also some free software out there to get a movie onto the PSP, but i like PSP MC's one step easy approach. The free ways require 2 or 3 programs.
I actually got the Xilisoft program that works beautifully. I would prefer higher quality rather than saving on space. I have a 2GB stick (well soon) and I can easily fit 2 full length movies plus pictures (already got a Casta nude wallpaper on there :-) and music and still have tons of room for an ep or two of something. Considering the putrid battery life on the thing (5 hours even on a stick..) and how easy it is to convert, that's more than enough for me.