The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Macbook Air

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.

#116270  by bovine
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:55 pm
the pictures look to be putting the computer on an angle that makes it look thinner than it actually is.

#116273  by Shellie
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:17 pm
Gizmodo wrote:It's an stunning .16 inches thick at the bottom and .76 inches on the top.
Seems pretty thin to me!

However..no user replaceable battery....

#116276  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:13 pm
It's beautiful, but I'm surprised that it's not smaller. I was expecting a sub-notebook, rather than a really thin, standard-sized one.

No exchangeable battery could be a pretty big deal. It's obviously meant to be an ultraportable, but a lot of people that have a real desire for an ultraportable are going to want to be able to swap out the battery.
 #116281  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 pm
Dutch wrote:http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

I have one major question: will it go through a paper shredder? =)
Will it blend????
 #116283  by Flip
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:24 pm
Barret wrote:
Dutch wrote:http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

I have one major question: will it go through a paper shredder? =)
Will it blend????
Haha, awesome.

#116286  by Tessian
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:52 pm
It was designed to be gimmickily thin. The sacrifices they make to get it that thin don't make it worth it (no ethernet port, no cd-rom, no battery replacement, etc)... plus it's not that much thinner than a regular macbook.

#116289  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:32 pm
You're not in the target market, Tess.

#116290  by Kupek
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:38 pm
It's not a gimmick. I know people with ultraportables, and they're really a different market than normal laptops.

#116291  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 pm
My problem with the Air is that it's not really an ultraportable. It's too big! A 10 or 12 inch model would be golden.

Commentary from my favourite Apple pundit:
John Gruber wrote:I’d have rather seen a smaller footprint, a la the old 12-inch PowerBook G4 — something just exactly as wide as a full keyboard. I’d prefer to sacrifice screen size on the notebook in exchange for an even smaller machine — with the assumption that when I’m at my desk, I’d be using a 20-something-inch external display.

The MacBook Air is undeniably beautiful and clever, but clearly designed as a secondary machine, not a main machine. I like using a notebook as my sole machine, which means I’m almost certain to stick with the Pros. (For one thing, 80 GB wouldn’t hold my current boot volume.) I’m not sure that the MacBook Air is going to be a huge hit, but it’s got enough going for it that, at worst, it’ll be a hit of some sort.
http://daringfireball.net/2008/01/macbook_air

#116292  by bovine
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 pm
STEREOTYPE ALERT

mac owners want a big gawdy mac so they can look cool to their mac friends.

#116306  by Kupek
 Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 am
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote:My problem with the Air is that it's not really an ultraportable. It's too big! A 10 or 12 inch model would be golden.
But it weighs the same (about 3 pounds). Doesn't that make more of a difference?

#116308  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:36 am
Kupek wrote:But it weighs the same (about 3 pounds). Doesn't that make more of a difference?
Nah — I'd rather carry something slightly heavier, but smaller, than vice versa.

#116319  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:52 am
ultra thin = easier to break

#116334  by Zeus
 Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
yeah, I kinda like the weight of the HP with the 15.4" that I bought.

If only it didn't have Vista pre-installed......(I can erase it but it's my wife's comp and she won't allow it)

#116352  by bovine
 Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 pm
Zeus wrote:Vista
what? that's not what you say. You say something different. Something that is not the thing you said. Please correct yourself.

#116357  by Zeus
 Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm
bovine wrote:
what? that's not what you say. You say something different. Something that is not the thing you said. Please correct yourself.
I WAS attempting to be nice. But, alas, my fans demand the true Zeus.

Shitsa....happy?

#116569  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:25 am

#116572  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:03 am
I wouldn't really be concerned about the lack of an Ethernet Port or SD card slot; as who uses them anymore anyway?

I use Ethernet for my desktop computer only, the rest of my network is wireless.

Any devices I have utilizing an SD card don't really need that card removed except if I am replacing the device or upgrading the card. Data transfers can be much more conveniently done through Bluetooth or USB cable (though nowadays I just BT everything, there's not really anything more convenient than that). Also, thumb drives can still be used, and I much prefer them.

Ever use the firewire port for anything? No? Didn't think so.

The DVD drive is a problem, as it is a slight inconvenience to utilize the remote DVD player feature. Though do ultraportables generally have DVD drives? I am not sure. I have never used a remote DVD feature before.

I have never replaced the battery in any of my devices ever. Though if the battery would require replacement I would just bring it into Apple, though I doubt I would ever need to.

#116573  by Chris
 Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:25 am
Zeus wrote:
bovine wrote:
I WAS attempting to be nice. But, alas, my fans demand the true Zeus.

Shitsa....happy?
doesn't work.....sorry. but that's some bad wordplay....
 #173238  by janetgee
 Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:50 am
A strong professional reputation and relationships had already been built by seasoned professionals. Enrolling in online classes at the College of Contract Management will give you the opportunity to network with individuals who can help you better your career. Creating alliances that will support your future endeavors in this environment will be beneficial.
 #173239  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:53 pm
Thanks for topping this post strange advertisement bot… 15 years later I use a MacBook Air as my primary computer. The funny thing is Microsoft’s products actually run better (substantially so) on modern Mac hardware than they do on modern hardware (that’s more expensive and more powerful) running Microsoft Windows.
 #173243  by driana
 Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:52 am
RICS registration is free for students. Both surveying professionals and students who are affiliated with RICS have access to the organization's network, career guidance, a sizable library of reading materials, employment opportunities, and job opportunities. If you want to start studying for an authorized certification or are already doing so, you are already on the right track. You must successfully complete a structured coaching term with an employer in order to pass your Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) and become a member of RICS. Structured training also includes on-the-job instruction and evaluation and often lasts two to three years. When paired with other educational qualifications, the APC (Assessment of Professional Competence) is the practical knowledge and proficiency that lead to becoming MRICS Chartered and obtaining chartered surveyor certification. Visit this link to know more about rics student membership!
 #173250  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:42 pm
Yeah... a lot of students frequent boards like this one :D
Maybe Barret is still around?
 #173253  by driana
 Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:47 am
NVQ Level 6 in Site Management is equal to a degree-level certificate, is designed to help you advance your professional opportunities while also helping you learn new skills and concepts. This course is excellent for students who want to go forward as quickly as possible because it may be completed in one to three months. In addition to its short course length, the NVQ Level 6 provides a number of other benefits that distinguish it from other certificates. Learn more about level 6 qualification on this page!
 #173267  by driana
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:44 am
Students can register for RICS for free. Benefits of student membership include access to the RICS network, careers advice, an extensive library of teaching and research resources, and employment opportunities for both students and professional surveyors. Additionally, as a an apprentice chartered surveyor, you will learn on-site from experienced Chartered Surveyors and colleagues. We provide truly valuable resources that are never available in the classroom. You will have the opportunity to network with a variety of professionals from a wide range of industries. Start building your network as soon as possible. It will be beneficial for you in the long run. For more information about mrics qualification, have a look at this article!
 #173320  by janetgee
 Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:11 am
The student portal is among the most crucial and modern instruments for keeping an eye on each and every one of the university's students. It's essentially an online portal that teachers and students can access by logging in, allowing them to view the relevant content on the website. The greatest learning portal is offered by UNICCM.