The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• New Year's Resolutions?

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #167475  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:07 pm
I'm giving a part time vegan diet a go. I've been a pescetarian for years, so a vegan diet isn't that far of a stretch; it's just cutting out a few more products.

Last edited by Julius Seeker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #167477  by ManaMan
 Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:32 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:I'm giving a part time vegan diet a go. I've been a pescetarian for years, so a vegan diet isn't that far of a stretch; it's just cutting out a few more products.
Good for you. I'm aiming to lose a few more pounds. Get down to 180 again.
 #169876  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:26 pm
An update on this one:

So going "vegan" turned out to be much more difficult and extensive a lifestyle change than I was ready for or what I thought it would be. So I can't call myself a vegan, simply because I engage with companies that do not meet vegan requirements. It's more than just a diet, it's a lifestyle of avoiding products that have any kind of animal testing or harm in any way.

Although, I did switch over to a plant based diet... or simply, strict vegetarianism, but even that is a fairly substantial change.

My recommendations from my learnings:

1. Don't convert all at once, but instead tackle the biggest changes one at a time. Are you used to eating sea-food? Switch it out for something like veggie burgers/meatballs, even out in the boonies they're widely available.
2. Then worry about the smaller things like milk/egg products within something.

Personally, my biggest challenge was replacing cheese, I love wine and cheese, grilled cheese, pizza and such. For big challenges like that, find some sort of ingredient like "added sugar" and then cut that from your diet, and people will give you lots of advice on that one.

3. People are generally fine if you mention you're on a diet, but some get really pissy if you say "a vegetarian" diet. There's a bit of a stigma behind it among certain people, thinking that the moment you mention it you are shoving it down their throat; and ironically they'll try to shove anti-vegetarianism down your throat. So try to avoid the conversation, especially among those types of people.
4. Don't cut carbs, ADD carbs, lots and lots of them as long as they're unprocessed. The worst advice you'll ever get from someone who isn't a vegetarian is to cut carbs from your diet, you will get headaches and feel like crap. Whole grain bread and potatoes are basically "eat as much as you want" food.

If I were to give a staple day:
Breakfast: Two grilled avocado sandwiches and veggie burger. I'll usually drink a low sugar/sugar free energy drink as well (Monster, Rockstar, Redbull don't use animal products).
Lunch: a beer, maybe some fruit, mashed potatoes (no milk/gravy/butter), raw baby spinach, carrots. I am usually not hungry at lunch, so often I don't eat anything.
Supper: boiled/mashed potatoes, then something like veggie stir fry (chinese broccoli, tofu, etc...), a veggie burger; or I might have pasta with some veggie meatballs instead.
You don't need veggie meat, I just love it. As far as nutrients go, I get way more protein than I need; but I also work out, so it goes to use.

With that, you get all the vitamins and nutrients you need in abundance without any of that extra fat or processed sugar. Oatmeal is also healthy, but I don't eat it myself. I have always found it out of everything does not agree with my digestive system, and I'll get gassy after 5 or 6 hours.

It took me most of last year to actually make it to strict vegetarianism, but I have been there for almost 6 months now. It's not as difficult a dietary transition as you'd think if you take it slowly and adjust/adapt. It's also a very easy diet to maintain once in place.
 #169916  by ManaMan
 Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 pm
ManaMan wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:I'm giving a part time vegan diet a go. I've been a pescetarian for years, so a vegan diet isn't that far of a stretch; it's just cutting out a few more products.
Good for you. I'm aiming to lose a few more pounds. Get down to 180 again.
How naive I was. :) Ended up gaining weight instead.
 #169919  by SineSwiper
 Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:3. People are generally fine if you mention you're on a diet, but some get really pissy if you say "a vegetarian" diet. There's a bit of a stigma behind it among certain people, thinking that the moment you mention it you are shoving it down their throat; and ironically they'll try to shove anti-vegetarianism down your throat. So try to avoid the conversation, especially among those types of people.
Hence the old joke of "How do you know if somebody is vegan? Don't worry; they'll tell you."

Anyway, don't let them bother you. Eat what you want with whatever reasons you want.