The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Crazy Chinese Mega Bus

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #168462  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 24, 2016 5:08 pm
An interesting idea, but... the way it took the curves seemed like magic. As in what? How? The sections just can't be together like that and have it turn that way. Either it turns like a real bus and requires a gigantic radius (probably requiring entire intersections to shut down lol) or each section gets spaced out like a subway/train which means you'd have to have multiple elevators and shit. I dunno. Doesn't seem feasible like they want it in the video.
 #168463  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 24, 2016 8:10 pm
It's basically a really weird tram that expects no minivans or SUVs to ever be on the road.
 #168464  by ManaMan
 Wed May 25, 2016 11:14 am
Here's the article I found it on: http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/05/can ... ty/483953/
Julius Seeker wrote:It's basically a really weird tram that expects no minivans or SUVs to ever be on the road.
The clearance looks pretty high. High enough for any SUV or minivan. The roads these ran on would have to be special designed to prevent any too-tall vehicles from accessing them. You couldn't, for instance, have this:

Shrinweck wrote:An interesting idea, but... the way it took the curves seemed like magic. As in what? How? The sections just can't be together like that and have it turn that way. Either it turns like a real bus and requires a gigantic radius (probably requiring entire intersections to shut down lol) or each section gets spaced out like a subway/train which means you'd have to have multiple elevators and shit. I dunno. Doesn't seem feasible like they want it in the video.
As for the turning radius the CG video seemed unrealistic. The model in the gif below looks more realistic. HUGE turning radius. About the same as interstate highway turning radiuses. I think you'd be able to move between sections like in a light-rail train.
 #168465  by Shrinweck
 Wed May 25, 2016 7:19 pm
I'd be very interested in knowing how it would operate at a four-way traffic light with people waiting to turn under it when it needs to go straight. Would there just straight up be a moment with the light where for 5-10 seconds all the directions have a red light so it can get through?
 #168900  by ManaMan
 Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:38 pm
It looks like they finally have a prototype of this ready & took it for a test run. Although it's... a little smaller than previously planned.