The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• On Boredom

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #168478  by Replay
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:26 am
How are you fuckers doing? I'm bored. Hope all is well.
 #168479  by ManaMan
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:09 am
Boredom? I thought that disappeared with smartphones & the internet. :D
 #168480  by Replay
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:12 pm
Nope. Boredom happens when one's faculties are underused/understimulated. Still happens to me in our society a lot.
 #168482  by kali o.
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:09 pm
Set daily goals that are challenging. Always solves boredom.

Alternatively, we can argue about something. I just closed on an apartment in Kolonaki (after a number of failed attempts on houses/buildings near Plaka - stubborn shifty Greeks). 40k -- just personal use / airbnb. It'll look awesome when I renovate this summer.
 #168486  by ManaMan
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:49 pm
I just closed on an apartment in Kolonaki
Is that in Athens?
 #168487  by kali o.
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:10 pm
Ya, not far from the Square.
 #168488  by ManaMan
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:28 pm
kali o. wrote:Ya, not far from the Square.
Sweet. I'd love to go to Greece some day. I'll stay at your AirBnB. I promise not to trash it too much.
 #168490  by kali o.
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:17 pm
Typically, you don't want to stay in Athens more than a few days (see the akropli and some museums). It's more fun (and scenic) to island hop. But you bet, when its done.
 #168491  by Replay
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:50 pm
kali o. wrote:Image
*yawn*
 #168492  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:23 pm
Lol, yeah, my first thought at reading kali's posts were "Wow, he's really trying to help replay with that whole boredom thing with this blatant trolling"
 #168494  by kali o.
 Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:27 am
Am I the only one that finds it funny that anything I said previously could be considered "trolling". Im mean...I was...but look at what I said. Lol. Wacky.
 #168498  by Replay
 Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:57 am
Right, right. You totally posted about acquiring more Greek property because you want a constructive discussion about the subject, not because you want an argument/ to troll by posting more about your adventures in creative real estate / to resurrect the "Defending Olympus" thread.

*shrug*
kali o. wrote:Alternatively, we can argue about something
What is the response you want? For everyone to fall all over you and fawn over the real estate you buy?

You couldn't pay me enough to do what you do in real estate, Kali. I wonder when you will realize that I do not particularly want to be you, and that I don't want to make a living putting other people out of their own living spaces.

Real estate is a great investment no doubt - my grandfather's advice to people who asked the right time to buy real estate was literally "now", no matter when they asked it. But it's also a giant commitment and a pain in the ass, at least if you have any interest in stewarding properties and preserving your own time; I'm sure I don't have to remind you how much time you spend going over paperwork, compliance, et cetera. I've done a very small amount of work in the field; all I can say is that I'd cry every damn day if I had to spend that much of my life playing diddle-the-middle with banks and regulators.

And I'd hate dealing with hell tenants. And I'd hate even more having to do evictions on good people fallen on bad times - you, of course, possess the advantage of rather enjoying the latter, at least as far as I can tell, which no doubt gives you an advantage in the field.

If you want to argue about something, go back to explaining how I'd shit myself if I knew who you really were, et cetera.

That, at least, was entertaining.
 #168503  by kali o.
 Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:29 pm
You do want to "be me" and if I offered to bring you into the fold, under the protection of my wings, you would be there in a heartbeat. Of course, you can deny that, because it is not a real offer...yet. But we both know the truth.

Now, that said, I think the interesting info is that 40k can buy you a decent place in an upscale athens area. Will it go lower? Likely. But still not a bad time to buy. You are looking at a $50-75 /night rate on airbnb / etc (per bedroom), so a decent payback period.
 #168509  by Replay
 Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:46 am
Hahaha!!! Keep telling yourself that. :D.

I have had people way more connected than you are offer to "bring me into the fold". More money than you have, more connections, more power - at least, I'd assume so, since you still haven't revealed anything of note about yourself publicly here.

I turned them down in the end too...because at the end of the day, I fundamentally don't like hanging out with assholes. And there is no amount of money in the world I can be paid to willfully ally myself with evil people, or those who harm others for fun or profit. The hedge fund I quit working for because it made me sad to wake up to a company feed full of racial slurs comes to mind.

That is something I'm sure you don't understand. The hole in you that you try to fill up with all that money won't let you; it won't let you believe that there are people out there who fundamentally don't envy you or want to be you.

I just wonder what happened to you over the years that turned you into this nonsensical, quietly unhappy egomaniac who truly believes everyone else wishes they were him? When you first started here, I remember you as mildly uncaring, but nothing like what you've become.