The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• US Presidential Election

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #169522  by Replay
 Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:02 am
That all being said, I do appreciate popping in briefly to see the debate here handled so moderately and without rancor. Kudos to you guys, it's not the national trend right now.
 #169523  by Shrinweck
 Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:09 pm
Oh okay he settled the Trump University thing. Funny how settling out of court is something guilty people do as a penalty when other people do it and when he does it's because he's too busy leading.
 #169529  by Shrinweck
 Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:34 pm
And now he has disavowed and condemned the alt-right. Shit gets crazier and crazier. He even backed down a bit on climate change being a hoax.

He really does seem to say what he can to get by. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when he's in the position and it isn't just talk.
 #169530  by kali o.
 Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:34 pm
People still don't understand what the alt right is -- "white nationalists" as the media defines them are not the alt right, they are a tool, that is legitimized as a counter to BLM / Black Power / Brown Pride / blah blah. But as the media defines them, I would have preferred if Trump said "I disavow white supremacists, whatever name you give them, so stop asking me stupid questions".

It is important to break the leftists media identity politics / click baiting, and to do that, you need to redefine and correct the narrative.
 #169531  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:21 am
So they're pretty much just a rebranding of the Tea Baggers. And based on the pollution they spit into forums across the internet, they also suck balls.

They can be defined as right wingers who often complain about how feminists and non-whites whine too much; but hypocritically start up "men's rights activist" groups, and spend all the rest of their lives bitching, moaning, and groaning on the Internet about their own so-called oppressions.

Seriously, come to Canada, there's not really much of any of that nonsense here. There's no need of it. We're very balanced; and we seem to be one of the only first world countries who has successfully instituted multi-culturalism so far. The concept of "Ooh, the economy slipped a little, gotta blame them immigants!" is fairly alien to most of Canada.

Other benefits:
Even when our economy is bad, it's still one of the healthiest in the world. We are consistently top 15.
Our healthcare is the best the world has to offer... outside of Europe. Although our cardiovascular and cancer care is consistently top 10.
We are the most educated country in the world for people aged 45 and younger.
We are seen as the most welcoming of immigrants in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... l_rankings

Bad points? We're pretty low tech. And our Internet is more expensive than most. Also, tipping culture, it's different by town. If you tip in some places, people will wonder what the hell you're doing, if you don't tip in others, you're seen as a bit of an asshole. Also many of you will find it "goddam fucking cold" here; the temperature probably averages about 15 degrees (60 in American degrees), with summers being in the 25-35 range (75 to 95 degrees American), and winters being in the +5 to -20 degree range (About 0 to 40 American degrees). In some places, like BC it's more like 2 or 3 degrees at the coldest, and 23 or 24 at the hottest, at least when I lived there. If somehow you like cold and isolation, we have Winnipeg!
 #169534  by Shrinweck
 Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:52 am
Alt-right is just another circle jerk catch-all word like liberal, BLM protestor, SJW, and feminist that represents a valid point of view that's perverted by a loud, vocal minority that actually may deserve the spite they receive. Do you not want women to get death threats for expressing their point of view on the Internet? Well you're an SJW! Do you think women or men should get paid leave for pregnancy/having a child? Hope you enjoy being lumped in with the worst of them.

It's all stupid shit.
 #169535  by ManaMan
 Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:28 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Seriously, come to Canada, there's not really much of any of that nonsense here. There's no need of it. We're very balanced; and we seem to be one of the only first world countries who has successfully instituted multi-culturalism so far. The concept of "Ooh, the economy slipped a little, gotta blame them immigants!" is fairly alien to most of Canada.
I looked into this seriously when Dubya got elected and I still joke about it from time to time but I'm not going anywhere. I've put down too many roots.

I think that most Americans would be surprised that they couldn't move to Canada if they wanted to. The country is pretty strict on immigration. Unless you're a white-collar college grad with like $10K in the bank and a job lined up in Canada already, they don't want you. Also, the immigration policy is not geared toward family unification so bringing over parents or other non-immediate family is difficult. Also, it should be mentioned that housing costs in the handful of Canadian cities where you could get a job are ridiculous (comparable to NYC or SF in the US).

It's no wonder Canadians love their immigrants so much! They're all doctors, accountants, & engineers none of who require welfare payments!
 #169536  by Shrinweck
 Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:42 pm
I know a couple that met online and they had a boat load of trouble trying to get a 6 month visit going to Canada let alone actual immigration.

Nah, if I was actually going to move out of the USA because I was a big weak whining baby I'd probably go to New Zealand.. I think they expedite people if they have family there and I have a small army's worth of family living there.
 #169537  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:52 pm
You will have to swear loyalty to the Crown, if you immigrate, but I don't think the difficulty is that great considering the very large percentage of immigrants in the country, over 20%; quite a bit higher than the US, and one of the highest in the western world.

And I don't think he majority of immigrants are doctors and lawyers either. I think the majority begin working in restaurants. But our restaurants offer fairly good pay. Even 15 years ago as a server, you made 9-10 bucks an hour on salary, and then sometimes more than 50 an hour in tips. It's fairly easy to get on your feet here, and there's all sorts of government subsidies for business owners, so a lot of immigrants open up restaurants, cafes, tea houses, and pubs.

Our governments across the province and federally do a great job in subsidizing tech companies. As a result, there's a projected shortage of 182,000 technology and communication positions that need filling. Including 1500 tech industry jobs in my own tiny province over the next 5 years.

As far as being apart from family, the beauty of being an immigrant from the US is that it's not very far back to the US. It's about a 10 to 12 hour drive from here to Boston or New York. Which is probably a shorter time than it actually takes to drive THROUGH either city. Most habitable places in Canada are a few hours from the border.

You'll have health coverage, access to jobs, money, and it's probably the easiest place in the world to start up your own business. But it is true, education is a factor, and you pretty much need it here for most jobs that pay over 60K a year. We are a heavily education focused country:
http://worldknowing.com/top-10-most-edu ... the-world/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... attainment

But I still think it's manageable to afford an education here. Plus there are regulated bank and government loans you can get too, if required. Although I am sure that some companies will pay for vocational studies.
 #169538  by kali o.
 Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:29 pm
ManaMan wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:Seriously, come to Canada, there's not really much of any of that nonsense here. There's no need of it. We're very balanced; and we seem to be one of the only first world countries who has successfully instituted multi-culturalism so far. The concept of "Ooh, the economy slipped a little, gotta blame them immigants!" is fairly alien to most of Canada.
I looked into this seriously when Dubya got elected and I still joke about it from time to time but I'm not going anywhere. I've put down too many roots.
Puh-lease. Don't listen to Seeker, he is drunk on the SJW koolaid. We are always a few years behind the US -- but we have our own anti-SJW /Alt Right movement starting (just read CBC comments). Its just less based on race and more on globalization / leftish backlash. The little race aspects you see are directed more towards the Chinese and real estate / investment.

You are starting to see more people mocking lefty public events / demonstrations. At least in Vancouver. I saw people mock the demonstrators at Trump Tower...and when they had the slut walk. I have to admit....brought a tear of joy to my eyes.
 #169540  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:30 am
What is this "SJW" koolaid?

Also, if the Alt-right of Canada are as you say, they're not new. We've had angry loners spending their lives crusading with right-winged sentiments in news site comment sections for years. They're mostly harmless, and typically too timid to interact much in the real world in any meaningful way.
 #169545  by kali o.
 Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:46 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:What is this "SJW" koolaid?

Also, if the Alt-right of Canada are as you say, they're not new. We've had angry loners spending their lives crusading with right-winged sentiments in news site comment sections for years. They're mostly harmless, and typically too timid to interact much in the real world in any meaningful way.
You wouldn't know what the koolaid is if you already drank it. But others recognize it when you talk in broad dumbed down generalizations but fail to catch the hypocrisy :)

As for the "Alt Right" level -- dunno, I measure public perception by looking at news comments, because what other source can I use? I definitely see an uptick.
 #169548  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:00 am
kali o. wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:What is this "SJW" koolaid?

You wouldn't know what the koolaid is if you already drank it.
Why do you think I'm asking you? Right now your response doesn't answer my question, it just makes me think you're a bit of an ass.
 #169551  by kali o.
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:57 am
Julius Seeker wrote: Why do you think I'm asking you? Right now your response doesn't answer my question, it just makes me think you're a bit of an ass.
Your assessment of me is about as accurate as my assessment of you (pretty fucking accurate). I think you can puzzle out the term.
 #169553  by Shrinweck
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:31 pm
Well Seeker if you want another opinion on it - it's his go-to term for painting people who don't agree with him as fools who all follow whatever list of grievances pointed at "leftists" that has been concocted as of late. Meanwhile, the alt-right certainly deserves a second look because the media has got it all wrong. I suppose the alt-right should never be dismissed by its vocal minority but fuck cutting slack for other view points.
 #169554  by kali o.
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:50 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Well Seeker if you want another opinion on it - it's his go-to term for painting people who don't agree with him as fools who all follow whatever list of grievances pointed at "leftists" that has been concocted as of late. Meanwhile, the alt-right certainly deserves a second look because the media has got it all wrong. I suppose the alt-right should never be dismissed by its vocal minority but fuck cutting slack for other view points.
Are you so bias that you missed the total hypocrisy of your response or were you fully aware going in? :) Just curious. I wanted to drag Seeker there, but you just kinda came outta left field, misquoted me and stomped all over the trap.

That aside, I like Lauren Southern. She's a fun alt righter for Canada.
 #169555  by Shrinweck
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:58 pm
Half my post was fairly in jest but I really don't pay all that much attention to your posts when you're in this particular mood any more. I was just responding to Seeker.

But, hey, if I was being a hypocrite while pointing out your hypocrisy then isn't that just grand.
 #169556  by kali o.
 Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:19 am
Shrinweck wrote:Half my post was fairly in jest but I really don't pay all that much attention to your posts when you're in this particular mood any more. I was just responding to Seeker.
God you are so dishonest. And girly. A little girly man. Not even a beta. You got a dry vagina in those pants, don'tcha hun?

Now where were we? Oh ya, Canadian anti-sjw (warning Shrin, she's hot and female...may be triggering).