The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• John Oliver destroys the third party campaigns

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #169377  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:34 am
In Canada, the green party is simply a barometer to the other 4 parties to show them how much win they can get for implementing environmentally friendly policies and budgets. If the green party gets 12% of the popular vote in one election, then that means the other parties can hypothetically win 12% of the voting population in the next election by pushing heavily for environmental funding/policies.

When it comes to questions about other policies, the green party just needs to sound like they'd do a competent job. But in the US they're going for wild economic reform, and not having any plans for funding it than Trump has with his own crazy projects.

#169378  by kali o.
 Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 pm
Hard to disagree with Oliver on anything. Is he like the new Daily Show? I tried watching Trevor Noah but could never make it through it an episode. I'd say he sucks, but I am afraid that would make me racist.

PS - It's not really fair to claim Trump has no funding plan for his own "crazy projects". I doubt you can substantively back that up.
 #169383  by ManaMan
 Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:14 pm
John Oliver is great and his bits are spot-on, intelligent & funny. Third parties have no chance in the US's 2-party system except to act as spoilers or as throwaways for ideological purists who don't really care who gets elected. People know this and the candidates who run for these parties are generally unserious. At least Gary Johnson was Governor of New Mexico but he doesn't seem ready for the national/international stage.
 #169389  by Eric
 Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:35 am
kali o. wrote:Hard to disagree with Oliver on anything. Is he like the new Daily Show? I tried watching Trevor Noah but could never make it through it an episode. I'd say he sucks, but I am afraid that would make me racist.

PS - It's not really fair to claim Trump has no funding plan for his own "crazy projects". I doubt you can substantively back that up.
I'll say it for you, Trevor Noah sucks, token black friend ftw! He's just not funny, his delivery kinda sucks, his outrage doesn't seem real and is in most cases nonexistent, it's just meh all aound.

But yeah John Oliver is pretty much the new Daily Show, he's the real successor in my eyes to John Stewart's Daily Show.

Colbert kinda seems trapped in the late night shell, like there are times he just wants to go full Stephen Colbert but it all seems so restrained.
 #169391  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:33 pm
In my opinion, Last Week Tonight is a lot better than the Daily Show ever was. The investigative work that the show does often digs deep into fairly major topics that no one else is covering; even when it comes to doing election bits. Daily Show was almost always about what was on Fox New or CNN this week.

Every now and then the Daily Show would have a really great segment; definitely more common in the post September 11th period... like when Robert Courdroy was demonstrating how New Yorkers didn't like foreigners anymore, so he dressed up like a typical European, moustache, military outfit, and couldn't even heil a cab!
 #169392  by Eric
 Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:13 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:In my opinion, Last Week Tonight is a lot better than the Daily Show ever was. The investigative work that the show does often digs deep into fairly major topics that no one else is covering; even when it comes to doing election bits. Daily Show was almost always about what was on Fox New or CNN this week.

Every now and then the Daily Show would have a really great segment; definitely more common in the post September 11th period... like when Robert Courdroy was demonstrating how New Yorkers didn't like foreigners anymore, so he dressed up like a typical European, moustache, military outfit, and couldn't even heil a cab!
Well keep in mind the Daily Show was daily....ish? :p

One of the benefits of John Oliver's show on HBO and he's said this is that he has far far more prep time then they ever did on the Daily Show to do those in-depth investigative reports.
 #169398  by Shellie
 Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:43 pm
I noticed in the last couple of episodes, it seems like John Oliver has toned down the.. "ANGELA! I told you...!" bits. Those got really annoying.