The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• My Province successfully passed Proportional Representation

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #169465  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:22 pm
We had a plebiscite which just ended an hour ago, and the results are in: Mixed Member Proportional Representation has been voted as our new electoral system.

This comes on the heels of a rise in the popularity of NDP (kind of like the Canadian Bernie Sanders/Elizabeth Warren Party) and the Green Party in the province.

What it means is that Conservatism is dead in the province. We didn't really have a right winged party to begin with, but we do have the Progressive Conservatives, which are kind of like the left of center party, while the Liberals are left, and the NDP and Green are far left. But part of what has held back the politics is split among the three left winged parties, and the Liberals tend to have the highest portion, so they win a huge number of seats, while the PCs squeak ahead in riding as where the division among the further left parties is higher.

With the new voting laws, representation of NDP/Green seats will rise from 3% to about 25-30% between the two parties. Left seats will be swapped out for far left seats, and they'll make up a very important part of the government going forward.
 #169468  by ManaMan
 Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:42 am
Which province do you live in again?

Anyway, I think Proportional Representation makes sense if you're going to have party-based politics (which seems to be inevitable). Gives voices to minor parties who otherwise would be shut out.
 #169479  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:43 am
PEI,

We're a backwater island province most famous for the Anne of Green Gables author and book series. We're also politically very progressive. We were the first province to elect a female premier, the first In that I believe we're still the only province/state to elect an Arab Premier/Governor, and we've done so 4 times over the past 4 decades. We're the second province to elect an openly homosexual premier as well, Ontario did just slightly earlier.

The interesting thing with the mixed member proportional representation was that the majority of people participating in the Plebiscite were age 65 and older. Millennials barely touched it, and polling showed that Millennials overwhelmingly supported some form of proportional representation.
 #169482  by ManaMan
 Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:34 am
Oh yeah, that's right. Do you live in Charlottesville? Looks like a cute maritime town, any IT jobs there? :)

Seriously though, my wife's family is French Canadian who've lived in the US a few generations. Quebec looks nice too. None of us speak French though (other than some entry-level high school stuff). But I'm just talking out of my ass and probably won't be going anywhere.
 #169499  by ManaMan
 Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:21 am
Blotus wrote:
ManaMan wrote:Oh yeah, that's right. Do you live in Charlottesville?.
Charlottetown!
Oh man, too funny. I'd just looked it up on Google Maps & Wikipedia and everything. I guess my brain autocorrected for me: "City is in Canada, they speak French in Canada, therefore it must be a 'ville'!"