The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Excellent argument on freedom of speech (Hadfield)

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #170185  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 pm
Evan Hadield, son of Chris Hadfield (astronaut who sang Bowie's Space Oddity from the International Space Station) drops an excellent argument for freedom of speech in the case of business. It essentially breaks down to giving people the knowledge of what corporations stand for. In Japan, there seems to be a lot more tolerance for this than in the Western World... at least in regards to their equivalent of holocaust deniers. Interesting video, and I highly recommend this channel.
 #170186  by Shrinweck
 Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:51 pm
Nice video. More thought out about the issue than I'd ever really put the time into, but I've thought this way about the issue. As a consumer there are so many choices for what to do that if these businesses want to take a stand on these issues, then they should go ahead. Make my life easier. The issue gets dicier when it's, say, an individual at the top of a company pronouncing what they're for. I can't really say I mind that all that much as long as we aren't talking about some truly dastardly shit - differing politics are okay, say, Holocaust denial maybe not so much. But when the business is swung that way, they just made my life simpler.