The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• So... sometimes habaneros can be excruciatingly hot

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #170210  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 am
Most people can't touch habaneros, and even have trouble with Thai chillis, but I grew up eating hot food.

I regularly cook with habaneros and scotch bonnets (probably why I am normally not allowed in the kitchen) - and I essentially got a taste for very hot food. So hot that even my Indian friends would break a sweat eating my food. Then at the grocery store they had these somewhat larger slightly shriveled looking habaneros on for $3.99 a pound. So naturally, I bought a lot of them. Upon getting home and excitedly putting them into a dish, I noticed that they weren't shriveled, but actually blistered.

To make a long story short: if you see habaneros with actual blisters on it, it means it is gut wrenchingly hot. But... it was awesome....

Sorry for the anecdote, this forum looked lonely.
 #170214  by Shrinweck
 Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 pm
I eat a fair amount of spicy food. I use a habanero hot sauce on a meal I eat weekly and the habaneros they use are not very uniform in spiciness. Some weeks it's negligible and some weeks I have to stop eating for 5-10 minutes part of the way in to recover. I also routinely cook with thai red chilis and if I keep the chilis intact they definitely kick my ass. Usually I break most of them in half while I'm cooking and dump the peppers inside out while only keeping a few intact as a fun surprise haha.

These days I like going to Indian/Bangladeshi/Thai restaurants and ordering things as spicy as they'll bring them out to me on their spiciness scale. Unfortunately they still usually bring it out fairly mild. I only really find myself challenged like one time in five. Having lived with a somewhat mischievous kitchen manager I'm too nervous to send back a plate for them to make it more spicy lol
 #170215  by ManaMan
 Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:35 pm
You guys are nuts. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Sriracha or other low level hot sauces but I've found recently that my actual limits are pretty low. I took a trip to California and found out how much of a wuss I was. The Mexican food there is actually very spicy when it claims to be on the menu (unlike the Midwest where that just means "flavorful"). I was embarrassed having to pick out peppers from my dish & these were just serranos.
 #170219  by kali o.
 Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:43 pm
My dad, irresponsible and young, used to have me drink bottles of tabasco or chow down on hot peppers to win bets with his friends. I don't know if I just had a high tolerance or I've deadened my tastebuds...I can still tolerate a lot. Tabasco is obviously nothing and I add it to my clamato/ceasars to the point most others can't handle a single sip. I could pop jalapenos like they are pickles...

But some habanero products are fucking ridiculous. Just painfully mean in their hotness. The only one I found that I liked is from a company called "Aubrey D. Rebel". Specifically their chipotle smoking hot sauce. I think its a mix of jalapeno and red habanero.
 #170221  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 am
I use the brown El Yucateco brand habanero hot sauce the most. It's my favorite. It has a smokey quality to it. I eat this chicken and rice thing once a week and I douse it in the El Yucateco - it's probably my favorite thing I eat on a regular basis. I'm at the point where I only eat tabasco for the taste, too. I could swill the stuff at this point. I used it for like 1-2 years before it got to this point. I miss the simpler days when drowning stuff in tabasco was all I really needed to make something spicy.
 #170245  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:21 am
Well, if there's something else a lot of us seem to have in common aside from gaming, it's chillis.

By the way Anarky, The Last Dab is an interesting sauce. I looked it up. It hit the market this year a very limited release of 1000 bottles, and quickly gained a nice reputation. It's the hottest natural, non-extract, sauce ever created. It uses hybridized peppers rumoured to be grown deep in the primeval jungle by the inmates of a South Carolinian insane asylum. Aside from that sauce you have there, these new chili peppers are currently not available on the market. At over 3.18 million scoville units, these peppers are twice as hot as the hottest peppers currently on the market, and hotter than military grade pepper spray. They are currently codenamed: Pepper X.
 #170254  by Anarky
 Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Well, if there's something else a lot of us seem to have in common aside from gaming, it's chillis.

By the way Anarky, The Last Dab is an interesting sauce. I looked it up. It hit the market this year a very limited release of 1000 bottles, and quickly gained a nice reputation. It's the hottest natural, non-extract, sauce ever created. It uses hybridized peppers rumoured to be grown deep in the primeval jungle by the inmates of a South Carolinian insane asylum. Aside from that sauce you have there, these new chili peppers are currently not available on the market. At over 3.18 million scoville units, these peppers are twice as hot as the hottest peppers currently on the market, and hotter than military grade pepper spray. They are currently codenamed: Pepper X.
The turmeric and mustard actually cut it pretty well. I have a ghost pepper sauce that seems hotter even though it's less scoville. I've used the last dab on burgers and it works pretty well.

#170260  by Anarky
 Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:I have been watching that channel now all evening.

18:45 of this video after Brand does the hottest sauce, and bursts into an improvised song.
The interviews are really great. The show is why I have gotten so into hot sauces.