The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Rat Empathy Experiments - How Racism Works with Rats

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #170396  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm
Interesting findings in the videos below.
* Rats will not be helpful toward rats with unfamiliar fur colours.
* Rats will help others before getting food.
* Anti-anxiety medication will make rats less empathetic - weird behavioural patterns on anti-anxiety medication has been observed among humans as well (such as removing suicidal inhibition among depressed/bipolar people).

#170398  by kali o.
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:46 pm
I only watched the first video, as it was such a load of bollocks I lost interest. The only thing that particular experiment evidenced was that the simple minds of rats will only display cooperative social behavior for other animals they are familiar with and, therefore, do not need to perceive as a threat.

That doesn't speak to racism, or any other stupid broad generalization. It speaks to the simplistic perception of rats and its evolutionary benefit (survival) of avoiding the unfamiliar. Anything beyond that is pontification.

I'll try to go check on the anxiety one later, as that potentially sounds interesting.
 #170404  by kali o.
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm
You might've been joking, but she definitely wasn't. When she was going on about "such an important message" or whatever, I wanted to slap her.

The anxiety one had the same problem....message was "don't take a drug, go out and help somebody, it will make you feel good"...the fuck? You proved (presumably) medication interfered with the cognitive workings and behavioral pattern in rats...pompous pseudo scientist.