The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Broke my knee

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #170495  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:01 am
Long story short. After a party I and I had the bright idea “I’m full of energy! Let’s walk home 5 kilometers!” - “No! we should call a cab.” but I ended up getting my way. At one point, I slipped on ice covered with snow, attempted to catch my balance with my other foot which slipped back; I landed hard on concrete with my knee breaking my upper tibia... only I didn’t know it at the time, and I ended up walking the remaining 3.5 klicks back home.
When I woke up in the morning I couldn’t move my leg at all and it was in tremendous pain.

I managed to slip on a gym shirt and shorts, and we called the EMT to drag me out on a stretcher.

I have a brace/splint sort of thing wrapped around my leg to keep it straight (kind of, it’s about a 15 degree bend). Luckily, no surgery necessary.

I can’t put any weight on it. One skill that is of immeasurable value is the one legged squat. I don’t know how anyone with this sort of injury would get by without it, or crutches. I still have yet to master stairs; very frustrating.
 #170496  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 pm
I used a knee roller for the year or so I was recovering from foot surgeries. It's monstrously easier to get around on one compared to crutches, but of course it won't help you at all on stairs.

Glad you didn't need any surgery or that calling EMTs in Canada probably doesn't put you out $1000+
 #170497  by Eric
 Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:03 pm
That sucks :( I hope you recover well.
 #170498  by Don
 Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:35 am
Get well soon.
 #170499  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:09 am
Haha, thanks for the advice and well wishes!

I am fine with crutches until it comes to going down stairs. I have been sitting and walking down on my hands; better to look a bit goofy than risk worse injury. The worst thing about crutches is the lack of freedom with hands; tooth brushing and that sort of thing is a much greater hassle than you’d think.

I began physio therapy yesterday. I bought a new knee brace that allows me to move to 90 degrees (adjustable). It’s black and looks kind of like the ones Steve Austin wore back in the 1990s. This time, entering the hospital, I was able to go in with more dignity; pants, shoes, a proper shirt.

Things are going well so far, and as a weird kind of thing, I look forward to having the smaller leg muscle that requires recovery. I love seeing progress when working out, but it won’t be until May before I can actually put any weight on it.
 #170508  by ManaMan
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am
Ah, the wisdom of the drunkard.

The only time I ever broke anything was when I decided to bike home after having a few too many down a street with a lot of potholes & railroad crossings. I'd forgotten to put lights on my bike so I couldn't see very well. Not sure if I hit a pothole or my front time got stuck in the space next to one of the rails but I flipped up over my handlebars & landed on my chest with my left hand underneath. Caused a hairline fracture on the left side of the hand that hurt for a few weeks afterward.
 #170514  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:32 am
So, at this point, getting up and down stairs on my feet is no longer an issue. It's a matter of learning how to balance on one crutch (I'm 6'4, 220, so it's no joke). But for the most part, the secret is learning to balance without dropping any weight on the other leg; also, learning how to balance your weight on a crutch, which involves leaning over and centering your weight on your armpit (hard to explain) and being able to hold it up for a second, or so, using momentum; once you get that, then getting up and down stairs is no longer an issue; neither is morning coffee, making a sandwich, or any of that stuff - no depending on someone else for that. Another thing, is the first time I stood up on the one leg in the shower and showered like a relatively normal person, was GLORIOUS! That was one of the more difficult things, it took a few weeks to get there because I lacked the confidence I could stand on one leg in the shower and not fall.

So, if any of you end up in my position, with a broken knee: the later part is significantly better than the earlier part.
The human body is a wonderful adaptive thing.
 #170516  by Shrinweck
 Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:01 pm
Yeah after both of my foot surgeries it was about 2.5 months each time without being able to shower. I used these cleansing pads every 1-3 days. They did the job, but it wasn't like I was going out around people at the time. I kept my head shaved so I wouldn't have to bother with washing my hair.

Feeling well enough to shower was pretty great. Showering was super great - I had a walker that I'd managed to fit into the shower and was able to rest my leg/foot the entire time so that worked out nicely. I had a LOT of trouble getting out of the shower though - using the walker in the bathroom outside of stuffing it into the shower wasn't feasible. I think it took me like five minutes to work up the will to put weight on my foot to get out... My first shower after the second surgery I took my cane into the bathroom with me lol