The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Yanny vs Laurel

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #170544  by ManaMan
 Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 am
Yeah, I know it's a "viral meme" or whatever but I think this is genuinely interesting. How can different people so clearly hear different words from the same sound clip? It's clear as day to me that he's saying "Laurel" (which is what he's actually saying) but my wife & several friends here "Yanny" or some other similar word. I hear no "Y" sounds at either the beginning or end.

...However, if you raise or lower the pitch, most people can here a different work (lower="Yanny", higher="Laurel")

https://mobile.twitter.com/xxv/status/9 ... 2998711297

What do you hear?
 #170545  by kali o.
 Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 pm
It's interesting because the last time I listened (a day or two ago), it was Yanni. In this clip today, I hear Laurel. Just to make sure, I listened to it on different devices -- still Laurel. Then I wanted to make sure it wasn't your clip -- so I opened my history on my phone and pulled up the other link to re-listen. Still Laurel.

Maybe tomorrow I will hear Yanni again.
 #170547  by Shrinweck
 Mon May 21, 2018 5:55 pm
I only hear laurel. When the video was first starting I heard yanni when the quality was low which is pretty funny. New York Times did an article on the brain and sound frequency part of it. They had a slider where you could mess with it and then submit where on the slider you heard both Yanny and Laurel it was pretty interesting.
 #170548  by kali o.
 Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm
I hear Yanni now. Apparently my frequency range changes hourly.
 #170549  by Shrinweck
 Mon May 21, 2018 9:53 pm
That's pretty funny. I wonder how that works.
 #170553  by Eric
 Tue May 22, 2018 8:20 am
I can actually hear both.
 #170767  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:40 am
It's Laurel. I don't understand these Yanni cultists. Just like that damned dress...IT'S FREAKIN' BLUE, PEOPLE! XD