The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The El Paso Bridge ICE Migrant Camp

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #171269  by Replay
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:23 am
I had not fundamentally shared the sense that America has been broken, for the last three years, that others in America have - until today.
The Guardian wrote:For three days and nights, Maria and her 14-year-old son were penned behind barbed wire, under a bridge in El Paso. Cold, hungry, surrounded by sick and crying babies and with only the stony ground for a bed, her first experience of America was not as she had imagined.

“I came here to work and get a better future for my family,” she said. “I never thought I would go through this.”

We are a nation with a $19.3 trillion dollar GDP and a Federal budget approaching $5 trillion per year. And we ran a "Federal immigration holding facility" for several days under a bridge, behind a giant, temporary barbed wire fence.

You have to be kidding me.

It is, ironically enough, always the stark, ugly bareness of the various facilities we build to hold our cultural scapegoats that always horrify my soul the most. We build ugly, soulless prisons out of stone and cheap plastic - or in this case, out of nothing at all, and yet still generally charged on a cost-plus basis to the U.S. taxpayer.

In some ways these are becoming the defining images of this Presidency to me - migrants and refugees penned behind barbed wire, caged and sick, fed on dregs in a refugee camp like animals.

It's a brutal, sick sight to see.
 #171270  by kali o.
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:19 am
Because the detention centers were full. This is occurring while Dems and the Left media are claiming there is no crisis on the border. Meanwhile, every border official, even Jeh Johnson (DHS head under Obama) is saying there is an unprecedented crisis at the border.

So which is more "sick" -- a partisan denial of the problem that leads to inability for officials to handle the problem, a media that parrots the Dem lie to the American people OR illegal migrants held in a makeshift area because the border is being flooded by an actual crisis.

You can't have it both ways
 #171271  by Replay
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 am
Build better concentration camps, please.

I don't care what the situation is - putting any prisoner under a fucking bridge because we don't have our shit together is disgraceful to a nation of our stature, as well as a substantial security risk in its own right.

Maybe you can put a little eagle on the front gate! :D (Wait, no.)