The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• It's one of those days when everything for this little city may change forever

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #171308  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 pm
Sad unconfirmed news of a longtime friend of mine drowning with his son today. Nothing in the news, nothing on social media. Nothing in our slack channel.

I heard it from my father in law about an hour ago. But nothing is confirmed, and I am hoping that it is a mistake of some sort. Our organization cancelled several events he was co-hosting among others, but no word as to the reason... I'm hoping it's just the weather, but it's across days.

It's that gap of time of not having things confirmed.

I usually don't like talking about my personal life. But if the worst fears are a reality, not only have I lost a good friend who I have known since University but someone I have been working very closely within the past few months. And his passing is potentially on the dawn of history in this province: something he has played a leading role within. I hope I can come back here and say this is all not real, once more is known.

Sorry for being cryptic. There are reasons.
 #171309  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:18 am
I had hoped it was some terrible case of mistaken identity until I had it confirmed via phone call shortly after my above post.

It's getting into the news now.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... -1.5105466

Josh Underhay, a candidate for the Green Party of Prince Edward Island, who I have worked with for some time, more so in the past month during the campaign period. And a friend since our days in University 15 years ago. Also a fellow vegetarian. Fellow outdoorsman, he more so than me (while others had cars and trucks, Josh ran his campaign from his bike). A great father. I know how this has effected the party, and I can only imagine what his family is going through. It really has been a huge shock to the community losing such a vibrant and energized person.

He and his son were boating out on the river, something happened, both drowned.

This is the Green Party's press release
A statement from Peter Bevan-Baker on the loss of a friend
CHARLOTTETOWN - It is with the deepest sadness that Green Party leader, Peter Bevan-Baker issued the following statement:

“As Leader of the Green Party of Prince Edward Island, I was bereft to learn about the death of Josh Underhay and his son in a tragic accident today.

“Josh has been a dear friend and colleague of mine for many years, as a volunteer, musician, passionate cycling advocate and Green Party supporter. He has touched the lives of everyone who knew him, including the students he taught, fellow musicians, and members of the party. Whether advocating for proportional representation, dazzling us with his mastery of languages, or being there to support fellow candidates, Josh brought humour, enthusiasm and boundless energy to every situation.

“I simply cannot imagine how much he will be missed.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, and I know we will all join together to provide each other with support and comfort during this terrible time.”

All Green election activities will be suspended for the remainder of the campaign.
He helped lead the Green Party to a large lead in the opinion polls, and we're now a few days before the election (April 23rd). Knowing Josh, he would have loved to not only see this day, but also to work hard at the things he believed so passionately in. He was a strong advocate for green space through Charlottetown, further development of walking and biking trails, and overall health. Before his path took him to provincial politics, he was mainly interested in municipal level items... It was actually Federal Green Party Leader Elizabeth May who got Josh involved: she saw his potential, and was already introducing him to people as the nominee for his district before he even decided to run for the nomination position (which he did, successfully).

The sad thing about it is that his strongest motivation was his children and their future. He was a champion of community, sustainability (both financial and environmental), and making great the things we already have. This is all so sudden that I haven't had time to process it - what it means.

The last time I spoke to Josh was last night at a meet and greet event we were taking part in.
The last private conversation I had with him was a few days ago... while everyone traveled by car from one event to another, he walked with my wife and I, cutting through boggy wetlands, making our way to a pub in the center of town.

Here's the man during the last day of the campaigning.

I know this isn't really the right place to be posting such things. An online forum, I suppose it's a place outside of one world I live in... in a way. Where I can get my thoughts out a little more freely, because honestly... in that other world I live in, I have no idea how to respond just yet. I'm in that weird place where I'm a close friend and colleague, but not quite so close as others in his life (his best friends and family), and also not far enough away that I shouldn't have some sort of response. There are a lot of people that fall into the category I'm in, and I mean a lot, Josh was close with many. A great many people are hurting right now. At least here at the Shrine, as out of place this is, at least I can say what I want for now before I figure out what I'm going to say in that other world.

He hadn't had a beer in over a year (never had a drinking problem, he just wanted to cut out anything that made him feel sluggish in any way), when the election results were in, he was going to have a Sidney Street Stout.
 #171312  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:54 pm
Thanks for the condolences. It really says something about humanity that we can empathize with one another over such distances, even with people we have never faced in person.

It's funny how this community has lasted so long. Most of our lives (for the most part, I believe G-Man is like 140 or something =P).

As a bit of an update. Seeing as how today is Earth Day, it seemed appropriate.

Hundreds of donations have come through for his family (wife, and surviving son). They set a goal of $500, but have got nearly $82,000 before his step brother closed donations. The shock was tremendous, phone calls through the night, many have not slept since, others no more than a few hours.

The shock was tremendous, as it was literally hours earlier I had been speaking to him, the night before Good Friday. I don't doubt a moment that many around him have not slept much, if at all, in the past three days. As the shock dissipates, it really begins to sink in that all those conversations we were going to have will never happen now. All those moments that should have been are lost to non-existence.

The walk over to meet Federal Green Party Leader Elizabeth May on Tuesday noted in this news video, was the last private conversation my wife and I had with Josh; the one I noted in my post above. It's still sinking in that was the last one. The last dare he dropped on me was to jump across a ditch, about 4-5 feet wide, and perhaps 6-7 deep, with mud and water at the bottom - which would have saved us about 200 meters on our walk to the bar; of course, I turned it down, Steph would be horrified even if we did make it (because of course, he'd have done it too if I jumped) just before meeting Elizabeth May.

Note, the Federal Green Party is related, but a separate organization from the various provincial Green parties, although many of us know each other across the country.
 #171318  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 am
Thanks for the condolences.

History was made, my province has its first ever minority government. 8 of the 27 seats went Green Party, and Greens took second place in many other districts. The provincial by-election for the seat Josh ran will occur in the early summer. This is the first time in my province's history a party other than Liberal or Conservative has been the official opposition, and the first minority government since independent dominion days.

But my little province isn't the only place where the Green Party is making waves. Way over on the other side of the country, in my former home town of Nanaimo British Columbia, a federal by-election just occurred and the Green candidate won by a landslide. Elizabeth May, the Federal Green Party leader was heavily involved in that campaign. One of my last memories of Josh was having a few drinks with he (well, he had coffee, he was abstaining from alcohol) and Elizabeth - only a few others present. Only three weeks ago, but it feels longer. He'd have had a bright future in this growing political movement - and perhaps at the international scale considering the number of languages he spoke fluently.