The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Proper fictional military tactics against superhumans

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #172440  by Don
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:36 am
You know how in movies or whatever there are always superhumans that aren't necessarily completely immune to firearms and so on, but they always effortlessly take out hundreds of guys with guns because they're just too fast or know Kung Fu or whatever. Today I randomly saw this:
(258.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The guy in the middle with the force field is a high tier martial artist, fighting against some dude that's a tier higher that's probably like about Neo from Matrix level minus the flying. He can block and dodge bullets, but getting hit by bullets will still hurt him. Normally, the superhuman guy does some shockwave (this case, by punching the ground) but his enemy had the great idea of having someone who also has super power blocking the attack while other guys shoot at him. The power scaling is such that the higher tier guy will probably kill the lower tier 1on1 in like a single page (in fact, the lower tier later did get instant killed while alone) but you can still block a long range attack that'd normally clear out a lot of fodder.

Later there is also another martial artist on the same side with a bazooka that manage to blow up the guy's arm with a good shot.

For all the fictional stuff talking about these superhuman with great strategy and fancy plans, this guy with his bunch of guys with guns is definitely the smartest guy I've seen. He actually stands near his bunch of guys with guns so the opposing superhuman can't just do some random teleport or whatever and own a bunch of them. Later, the stronger guy retreats into a forest and while the soldiers are prepared to chase after him and die one by one like the expendable fodder they are, he actually told them to not pursue this guy since they'd just die pointlessly in an environment with a lot of obstructions. Imagine if Thanos recruited this guy to join his army, the outcome of Endgame would've been totally changed.

Random thought: modern military is so strong that as long as you're not dealing with someone who is outright immune to modern firearms, I'm guessing the US military with just hand-operable weapons and properly debriefed on the nature of their opponent will probably defeat most fictional universes. In fact I don't think most of say, the Avengers, would stand a chance against an army that is actually aware of stuff like you can't hurt someone in Vibranium armor with guns so maybe you throw a grenade and knock them out from the blast impact. Probably can't do much about a guy like Thor or Hulk but everyone else would be pretty screwed.