The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Addiction / withdrawal

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #172470  by kali o.
 Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 pm
So I guess every guy goes through a midlife crisis of some sort. Maybe they buy a new flashy car, start a business, sleep around, whatever.

Mine was particularly stupid - I fooled around with fentanyl (smoked not shot). I was seeing a girl that did it and thought, "why not try it?" I've always socially taken all kinds of drugs and never gotten hooked in any sense. The only one I found that could hook me was percs/oxys (liked enough to use everyday) - so I was (foolishly) not super worried about getting hooked.

Now fent does "kinda" feel like percs...sorta. In my case, it made me more nauseous than any thing. I ended up getting 5 grams of a more powerful batch (30% fent, where the normal street dope is less than 10) and that's the batch that hooked me.

Now when I say hooked, what I mean is physically. Once the batch was done, about 72 hours later, I felt a super odd feeling come over me (I had been irritable all day). I don't know if anyone here has actually felt serious withdrawal, but unless you go through it, reading up on it will never do it justice.

In addition to the fent withdrawal, I was also likely in benzo withdrawal (they mix those in), so I was getting blasted pretty hard.

I could not get comfortable, I had to keep walking for hours, I was flooded with anxiety and my brain would not relax, I couldn't sleep (the worst) without anti psychotics, I couldn't eat, I would puke randomly, I felt like every inch of my skin was super sensitive, I would take 3 hour showers (some relief), I had super smelling (this one is weird), etc.

Took about 2 weeks of that shit before I went back to semi normal. Felt like it would never end and ya, I was tempted to just use again to end it.

Before anyone asks, I did that detox cold turkey (minus the sleep aids) and handled it like a champ. No interest in doing that again.

On the one hand, I kinda feel a little more empathy for the folks hooked on this shit. On the other, I quit cold turkey and made it, people can certainly kick it on Suboxone/etc. No excuses.

It's interesting though...even though I don't like fent and will never allow myself to go into withdrawal again, I still get that thought in my head (I could smoke just a little and be fine). Scary shit.

Anyway, dumb thing to try in your 40s. Anyone actually ever go through withdrawal? I hear alcohol can be worse in some ways.
 #172474  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 04, 2021 4:01 am
That sounds horrifying. Glad to hear you've gotten through it with only a few psychological scars, hopefully temporary.

I don't know a lot about it, except that it's worse than heroin. But yeah, the allure of hard drugs is a thing that can probably hit a person at any age. And the feeling is weird, even if it's something that you'd think you'd never do, if a friend of yours, or SO, happens to have some, it's not that it's hard to say no, but that it's really easy to say yes.

It's probably why the decriminalization and reclassification of drugs is a good thing, because it's easier for people to seek help if there's no risk of punishment.
 #172475  by kali o.
 Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 am
It is practically decriminalized in Vancouver and we've seen the results for the past decade or so (it doesn't work). The support systems are there too, highly utilized when the welfare money runs out for the month. Rinse and repeat. It's basically just a golden goose for the not for profits.

Unless you mean something like Portugal, which is different, since it may not be a crime but there is mandatory treatment if you are caught (drug court).
 #172478  by Eric
 Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm
I feel like talking about my addiction to soda would just get me a Half Baked "BOO THIS MAN".

So I'll say I kinda understand? Good on you for kicking it immediately.