The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Reddit users least valuable out of all social network

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #172910  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:57 pm
Reddit is a good place for spitballing an approximation of an article idea to gauge interest in various elements of a post. Then using that data to write an article.

My guess for the low value for Reddit compared to Facebook and Twitter would be low monetization options. Facebook and Twitter both incentivize user/org spending to increase visibility on posts, Reddit focused on engagement to boost visibility - their revenue source is primarily commercial advertisement. Both Twitter and Facebook also synergize well with other content platforms like Youtube, medium, and other publications, as well as retail like Amazon, and other storefronts both physical and online space which provides a good supply of spenders… many content creators will dump a portion of the revenue into advertisement.

Reddit has its value, but more as an content concept vs engagement lab.
 #172920  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:07 pm
I just noticed that after 25 years, Don still hasn't reached "Posting God" status despite that his posts are the most comprehensive in the history of the Shrine.

Feel like we should have a celebration when he does in about 2032-34 :D
 #173263  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:26 pm
Old topic I know, but going on Reddit, trying to find a show that has a fanbase is a challenge. By my estimation, there’s not one goddam show that isn’t full of melodramatists trying as hard as they can to express their hatred for each and every show in existence. :D

It’s like a real life moviepoopshoot.com - a community of militant movie buffs from the 2001 film Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. “Sad, pathetic little bastards, living in their parents basements, sharing what think they have inside information on the production of movies they claim to despise, yet can’t seem to stop discussing.”

In one show I was looking up to find a fan theory about something on, the only actual fan the show had was getting yelled at for having a positive opinion. After a few back and forths, the person goes into a rant claiming they’re 45 and educated, as well as this line (well, this is the condensed versio) “Because you wrote a wall of text praising a horrible show.” “Just because you thought it up doesn’t mean you have to share it.” “You clearly have too much time on your hands.”

Reddit fanboards makes me feel not so bad about my past arrogant trollishness from the 1990s :D
 #173264  by Don
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:19 pm
I find reddits with a lot of traffic you usually have stuff like fanarts or polls that dominate the top and you can't find anything that's actually a discussion. Also the reddit format doesn't seem to be conducive for actual conversations. You can pretty much see any average conversation is very wide but shallow, like if there's 100 replies there might be 2 or 3 that actually goes more than 1 level deep.
 #173265  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:19 am
I dipped back into the r/WitcherNetflix, and the Melodramatic hate brigade has mostly been drowned out by fan art and memes. While the negativity has been drowned out. I think this is because, the really negative sorts on this particular show are a loud minority who will get drowned out when seasons release and regular viewers are coming in; the show remains in the top 10 of Netflix about 2.5 months later. But you’re right, this one is still mostly clogged, just with memes, show quotes, and fan art. It’s almost like the Witcherboro Baptist Church wasn’t dominating the discourse just a few months earlier. Maybe they’ll be back once the torrent of normal viewers subsides—Witcher remains constant in the Netflix top 10, now two months after it first launched back in June.

Reddit is a well designed for fans, the world wide, to come together to talk and about the things they enjoy in a more longform format. Instead they’ve chosen to clog it all up with memes, quotes, virtue signalling/political activism, and the Bitchlympics. =)

Although, some communities are very productive. The sandbox game Dwarf Fortress as an example, one of the most productive communities I’ve seen on the Internet in years.
 #173266  by SineSwiper
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:11 pm
Reddit used to be good several years ago, but Spez has been pulling an Elon with most of his decisions. He only cares about cashing out after the IPO now. Twitter, of course, is an absolute dumpster fire. Facebook was never great to begin with, and I barely use it.

The whole Reddit API/moderator snafu was the last straw for me, and I've switched to Lemmy. It's still fairly small, but the Fediverse concept is growing rapidly. It's a large-enough community for me to get all of the headlines I need, and a fairly-robust discussion along with it.
 #173268  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:45 pm
Whoah! Welcome back to your forum!
Sit back, have a drink.

On the Elon thing, there's a rumour going around that he actually bought Twitter to destroy it (or reform it, depending on who's posting) in order to impress his ex-wife.