The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Culture of food prep and storage

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #173078  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:35 am
An odd topic worthy of Daily Stuph.

But there are a few things I grew up thinking was normal… probably because of where I grew up (mostly in Toronto) but it turns out a lot of people do them differently.

1. Bread doesn’t go in the refrigerator - nowhere I’ve lived so people put bread in the fridge, but I noticed on Joker and other American films that bread in the fridge is a thing.

2. Washing rice. Washing dry rice is a fairly normal practice in Toronto, but when I moved to the East Coast, I found that almost no one washed their rice. Of course, potatoes are a more common starchy meal on the east end of the country. And it’s not a simple rinse either, several rinses interspersed with the actual washing (mixing it vigorously with your fingers). Apparently, it’s not common practice outside of Toronto.

3. Speaking of rice, I’m aware that in many places it’s considered dangerous to store cooked rice in the fridge before it cools off—particularly in the UK. This isn’t something I grew up doing, and have never had issues.

As a side note, I love leftover rice meals - the flavours blend nicely. I usually load it up with hot sauce or Habanero/cayenne pepper in the rice (also makes decent taco mix if you’re in a squeeze). Beans fried with cumin, msg, onion, and scotch bonnet peppers mixed with basmati rice is one of my favourite meals to make when I do the cooking.