The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Simply amazing. Age of the universe....plus a damn cool video clip.

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #4826  by G-man Joe
 Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:16 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.nasa.gov/HP_FLB_Feature_MAP_ ... 11.html</a>

Simply amazing. Age of the universe....plus a damn cool video clip.</div>

#4844  by Kupek
 Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:00 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>My girlfriend worked with some of the WMPA people at NASA. One of the more interesting things they concluded was that the first stars appeared 200 million years after the big bang.</div>

#4845  by G-man Joe
 Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:13 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>NASA rules. Anyone who says otherwise is....well....you know....check out Ruminations. =8^P</div>

#4857  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:31 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>That argument concluded that NASA was nearly useless to the advancement of human civilization; rather its just a drain on resources that should be used elsewhere.</div>

#4858  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:33 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Not amazing, kind of nerdy. It is useless knowledge.</div>
 #4860  by Tessian
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:14 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I'm going to make this short-- for humanity to advance we need to first stop fighting each other. Humanity needs to become united as a planet rather than as countries fighting over resources and power. How do you unit a planet? By reaching to the stars. The first step of course was getting into space, then to explore and observe farther. Our next step is the International Space Station-- the first thing to unite as many countries together for a cause in history (and no, wars don't count). After that you can begin building ships capable of going much farther and probably faster than currently possible since it would not have to spend all that fuel and resources to break orbit.

Space is one thing that all of humanity can come together, stop their squabbling and unite. You also forget all the advances in technology we've gotten from NASA</div>

#4862  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:31 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Exploring space will not end national and religious tensions (which are the dividing forces in civilization), that's a ridiculous claim.</div>

#4880  by Kupek
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:04 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>YOU concluded that. Don't project your conclusions onto us.</div>

#4881  by Kupek
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:05 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Dear god, we wouldn't want people to think we're NERDS.</div>

#4884  by Tessian
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:28 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>nations can be dissolved into one another to form a planet wide union. Religion can either stfu or wait until people learn better. Space and the exploration of it is a common goal that all would be able to unite under and prosper</div>
 #4885  by Ganath
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:34 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Honestly, don't you have anything better to do than to randomly spew out crap about the United States?</div>
 #4888  by Ganath
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:35 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Honestly, don't you have anything better to do than to randomly spew out crap about the United States?</div>

#4895  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:58 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>No one is prospering from space exploration, certainly not the astronaughts who have lost their lives, and the less fortunate starving and dying on the street being ignored while tax dollars are instead being used to build a useless space station or shuttles.</div>

#4896  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:01 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Not even the stupidest people likely to read that would have bought your fragile and baseless arguments</div>

#4897  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:04 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>If a tyranacal dictator slaughters 10 million people, is the tyranny of a dictator who slaughters 750,000 not worth mention?</div>

#4899  by Tessian
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:56 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>are you that short sighted?</div>

#4901  by Kupek
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:12 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>There you go again... saying an argument is "fragile and baseless" does not make it so.</div>

#4911  by Tessian
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:18 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>and you think anyone here buys your elitist "I know better than you because I'm a canadian genius" attitude and arguments?</div>
 #4913  by Ganath
 Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:33 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Seriously, you have an unhealthy and entirely asinine fixation on anything wrong with the United States.

You don't sound like a rebellious informant telling us how things REALLY happen in the United States. Most of us here are fairly intelligent, and already know the United States ain't all that. Rather, you sound more like an insecure child with something to prove.

All you do is sit around spouting about how horrible the United States is whenever you can and when something does go wrong you never wait to rub it in our face.

And please, don't pretend you're asking honest and thought provoking questions. Asking if NASA is "gigantic waste of money and resources" right after Columbia broke up into tiny little pieces is about as thought provoking as me going up to a fat lady and asking "Why are you such a goddamned fat whore?"

You're not informing anybody of anything, because everybody already knows our "dictator" has slaughtered way more than just seven hundred and fifty thousand people. All you're doing is continuing to be immensly irritating with your insecure obsession on America's faults.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all gung-ho patriotic about this nation or anything, not even close. I'm just tired of seeing you yammer on like an imbecile.

Go do something more constructive and drop this obsession of yours. At least when you were constantly sucking up to Nintendo it was a positive thing, if not less obsessive.</div>

#4927  by Ganath
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:57 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Eh... whatever. I was just venting, I'm happy and done now.</div>

#4928  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:24 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I know, I'll forgive it =P</div>

#4929  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:28 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>No, but your argument being fragile and baseless does allow me to say it's so.</div>

#4930  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:29 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I'm being realistic, you're living in a science-fiction fantasy world.</div>

#4936  by Eric
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:21 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Oh come on, it's human nature to explore, and there's a whole lotta space to explore. I want a reason WHY we shouldn't explore it.</div>

#4937  by Eric
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:25 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Tessian and Kupek still don't get you're trying to get a rise out of them eh? :)</div>
 #4938  by Tessian
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:49 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>you woulda been the one in Europe saying "Why the fuck are we wasting all this money on exploring this 'new world'?? All it's doing is getting people killed while the less fortunate starve and dye in the streets. It's useless to build more ships and settlements, they just get wiped out or destroyed anyway."</div>

#4940  by Kupek
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:09 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>How is that not a troll?</div>

#4943  by Kupek
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:17 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Lack of support makes it a meaningless statement.</div>

#4956  by Tessian
 Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:29 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>good point</div>