The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Take THAT France, haha.

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.

#5052  by G-man Joe
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:05 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>It was an American that made the first French Toast and I think French Fries may actually be.....American. =8^)</div>

#5053  by Kupek
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:09 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>"Support for our troops" and "support for the United States and the actions of President Bush" are two different things. I find the closing paragraph ironic.</div>

#5054  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:54 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Do people in North Carolina really care THAT much about food? =P</div>

#5055  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:15 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>They're European, that much I know for sure, they weren't eaten in North America until the 1900's. French Toast might have been named that by an American, but it was invented back in the days of the Roman Empire.</div>

#5056  by ManaMan
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:35 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Sushi is an American invention, along with fortune cookies and toasted raviolli.</div>

#5059  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:55 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Are you sure about Sushi? They've had it in Japan since around the year 700 AD.</div>

#5060  by ManaMan
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:02 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Err, I meant sushi as in rolls... like the california roll.</div>

#5061  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:28 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Must be rolls with Western Ingredients (like the California roll), Sushi rolls have been around in Japan since the Edo period. I think it was first introduced to the US in the 1970's, at least that's when it became popular.</div>
 #5062  by G-man Joe
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:44 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '><b>Q: What is the origin and history of French toast?
- Kathy F., Newtown, PA </b>

<i>
A: There are a number of conflicting stories about the origin of the rich breakfast dish that Americans call "French toast." Most recipes agree that French toast is made by dipping bread into a mixture of milk and egg, then frying it until it is golden brown.

Almost any kind of bread can be used to make French toast, including rich, eggy breads like challah or brioche, airy baguettes or standard white sandwich bread. French toast is usually topped with maple syrup, jelly or powdered sugar. Fruity and even savory toppings are becoming popular as well.

Although the exact origin of French toast is unclear, sources agree that the dish does not stem from classical French cuisine. Toast it may be, but "French" it is not!

An early source, "The Accomplisht Cook" by R. May (1660), has a recipe for "French Toasts" which calls for French bread sliced and toasted, then soaked in wine, sugar and orange juice. While this sounds delicious, it's a pretty far reach from our modern breakfast favorite.

One version of the story is that the dish was invented in 1724 at a roadside tavern near Albany, N.Y. According to the tale, the tavern owner, Joseph French, gave the dish his name.

French-speaking Cajun cooks in Louisiana make "pain perdu" or "lost bread" with day-old bread, and this Cajun tradition also lays claim to the origin of French toast in this country.

It's possible that each of these stories is true in its own way, considering that home cooks around the world have always looked for ways to use leftover food, and bread, eggs and milk are often close at hand. The leap from day-old bread to delicious breakfast comfort food is not.</i>

Even if it was first made in Rome, it was not passed on TO the barbarians who came from the area of France.</div>

#5063  by ManaMan
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:49 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Arial; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/d ... html">It's at the top</a>

As far as I know. "The fancy rolls don't have a proper Japanese name. They are an American invention and as foreign to them as Chicken Fried Octopus with Soy-Cream Gravy would be to us. "</div>
 #5067  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:44 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Speaking of all the Sushi made me very hungry, I had to get some =P</div>

#5068  by G-man Joe
 Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:49 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Tuna. Me rikey. For those who are new to sushi....try Futo Maki. It's sweet with cooked eel. Damn good for newbies.</div>