The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Stranger Things

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #169074  by ManaMan
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:48 am
Awesome show. Can't believe nobody's talking about this on here.
 #169075  by Eric
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:25 am
Yeah it was pretty good, got the episode count right too so it doesn't drag on.
 #169078  by Replay
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:15 am
Might give it a try based on your rec, Mana, we'll see how time permits
 #169080  by Shrinweck
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:11 pm
It's a really good show but rather straightforward so there wasn't something I was rushing here to talk about haha.

I'm kind of surprised that it's doing better for Netflix then Daredevil, but then obviously something like this would hit a broader audience.

Winona Ryder was perfect for her role. Good casting with the kids too.
 #169238  by Shellie
 Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:41 pm
Loved the show, didn't like Winona. I don't know why, she felt so fake to me.
 #169239  by Oracle
 Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:16 pm
Shellie wrote:Loved the show, didn't like Winona. I don't know why, she felt so fake to me.
^This!

I think we are on episode 5 or 6 now.
 #169240  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:10 pm
Yeah she's catching a bit of flak but I blame the role more than her. She's fine for the parts of the series where she isn't in crazy mom mode.
 #169244  by ManaMan
 Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:38 pm
This is a great & hilarious (video & even the title of the video includes spoilers)
Spoiler: show
Dr. Chorizo: RIP Barb

#169245  by ManaMan
 Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:42 pm
70s and 80s movie references side-by-side with scenes from Stranger Things. Some are spot on, others are a bit of a stretch.

#169549  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:06 am
I missed this post. Yeah, I really enjoyed the show. It had some elements that reminded me of Akira and Children of the Corn.

The way I saw character development was something like.
Episode 1 - 1/12 characters are not frustrating
Episode 2 - now 2/12 characters are not frustrating
Episode 3 & 4 - Now a third one.
Episode 5 - Now some more, but none of them are communicating with each other, so even the non-frustrating ones are a little frustrating.

Not that it's a bad thing, I love the show, just that it's a different sort of experience.
 #169756  by ManaMan
 Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:11 pm
Superbowl add for season 2 looks good.

#169775  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:02 pm
Ha! Only after that trailer did I realize how heavily influenced by John Carpenter Stranger Things is.
No wonder I love it.
 #170276  by ManaMan
 Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:58 am
Just got done re-watching season 1 in preparation. Season 2 drops Friday baby!

Excited.
 #170285  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 am
I’m loving season 2 so far. It really helps that the cast, IMO is all really likeable from the get-go.
 #170287  by Shrinweck
 Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:18 pm
I think the issue people had with Winona Ryder is she played the hysterical mother all of last season. Usually in a movie that's relegated to like, what, 30 minutes and the mother isn't even in all of those scenes, but we got however many hours of episodes where she had to play that role which is difficult to be likeable.

I've finished season two and I'm not really ga ga for this series but I do think it's good. I love all of the new characters. I think I liked this season more than the last one.
 #170288  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:55 pm
Haha, the funny thing is that I think Winona Ryder's character was the one I liked the most in the early part of season 1. I really felt her frustration with the situation. I also really liked Hopper from very early on; the actor was very good with expressions, you knew he believed what was going on, even though his character never explicitly stated it, and often acted the opposite. I am not sure if it was his expressions, the use of audio, or a combination of multiple things, but without actually saying anything, the directors made Hopper's hidden motivations apparent to the viewer; the whole time he worked his way to the core of the situation.

One of the biggest themes of the first season was bad communication. I know what they were doing, but I found it frustrating as hell :P
It wasn't in a way that I disliked the season, because it made the communication break-throughs all that much more rewarding. I am a little glad they haven't repeated that this season though... except with:
(Episode 3 spoiler below)
Spoiler: show
 #170294  by ManaMan
 Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:51 am
Julius Seeker wrote:One of the biggest themes of the first season was bad communication. I know what they were doing, but I found it frustrating as hell :P
It wasn't in a way that I disliked the season, because it made the communication break-throughs all that much more rewarding. I am a little glad they haven't repeated that this season though...
Ah, but it's an easy way to create conflict & keep the story entertaining. :) Like half of 90s sitcom TV was this (pre-mobile phone days).

Season 2 was fantastic. Great TV. I liked the new characters & the development of the Eleven/Jane character. The new baddy was great. Lots of great new 80s references: terminator, lost boys, excorcits, etc.