The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Luke Cage

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #170716  by ManaMan
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm
Anyone watching this Netflix series? I'm a little late to the game but I'm most of the way through the first season.
 #170722  by Eric
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:15 pm
First season takes a dive off a cliff after a certain char dies that was played by a great actor.

2nd season actually made me like a character a great deal because they turned out to be a fantastic villain.
 #170727  by Shrinweck
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:17 pm
Series is decent but I'm thirsty for any Marvel stuff that isn't GOTG or Avengers.

I like all of the Netflix Marvel stuff.
 #170745  by ManaMan
 Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm
I really liked both seasons.

Eric, I agree it was a downer when
Spoiler: show
Cottonmouth
dies but they really make Mariah into a complex & interesting villain in her own right.

Season 2 was great & better writing IMO.

I'm onto Iron Fist now, the cameo episode in LC season 2 got me intrigued.
 #170749  by Shrinweck
 Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Season two of Iron Fist was middling to alright, but I thought it ended really well. And if I'm getting my comic lore correct they're moving in the direction of the Immortal Iron Fist comic runs origin story which is probably the strongest Iron Fist content that's been written... at least not including his Luke Cage pairing if they ever get to that.

From the outlook of story potential, Iron Fist is what I'm looking forward to the next season of the most.
 #170765  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am
There's about a 3-4 episode gap from ep 7-12 somewhere where it feels like almost pure filler after a significant event. It brings the first season of Luke Cage almost to a screeching halt in terms of pacing and plot movement. It was weird. Season 2 is a lot better with much better pacing.

The best of the bunch IMO have been (not quite an order but close):

- Daredevil Season 2
- Punisher
- Daredevil Season 1
- Jessica Jones Season 1

The good thing is that the newest seasons coming up are all gonna be 10 eps instead of 13. That'll allow for much better pacing and condensing of the storylines to avoid what happened in Luke Cage. Apparently Marvel's deal required Netflix to make them 13. Now they don't have to worry about it and can make them tighter. That'll help

I still feel that Agents of Shield doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves. The show's weakest season was actually it's first. It's really, really grown into its own its last couple of seasons and became very strong. I hope Disney keeps it alive on its streaming service when ABC inevitably decides to cancel it (word is Disney forced them to bring it back for its excellent Season 5). That and the revival of Agent Carter which was excellent for both its seasons.
 #170886  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 am
Yeah I saw that. Definitely kind of bummed out since there was so much improvement. I really wish they'd done something to stand out more compared to the other series.

The only bright side I can come up with is that hopefully this is either a step towards a Heroes for Hire series or an opportunity for a new adaptation... I'm looking at you Moon Knight.
 #170902  by Shrinweck
 Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:25 pm
Season 3 of Daredevil was amazing. By far my favorite season of Daredevil. Possibly my favorite season of any Marvel Netflix show.

Not even one story thread that I didn't end up liking a great deal. Usually there's at least one dud. They really knocked it out of the park. Thank God they're done with the Hand.

Looks like Luke Cage is cancelled too. If Netflix gets rid of all their Marvel shows next year then I might unsub for the first time since like 2007. Their reliance on original programming shoots them in the foot if they get rid of most of the shows I sub to them for. Without the Marvel shows I'll probably just sub like once or twice a year.
 #170905  by ManaMan
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:23 pm
I’ve watched both seasons of Luke Cage & Iron Fist now. I haven’t watched Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Punisher, or Defenders. It sounds like I should check out Daredevil next.

I enjoyed Luke Cage more than Iron Fist though Iron Fist was still enjoyable enough. The cameos & shared characters have been a nice touch though it’s hard to line up the timelines between the shows. However, some of the cameos seem artificial & a bit forced.

The ending of Iron Fist season 2...
I thought Danny’s whole Qi charged guns thing was jumping the shark. I actually laughed. Maybe that’s why they canceled?
It’s too bad about Luke Cage getting cancelled. Must not have been getting ratings? No one can tell because Netflix keeps those secret.
 #170907  by Shrinweck
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:45 pm
Iron Fist season 2 spoilers
The charged guns is straight from the comic. This is the part of the Iron Fist story where things actually start getting good and interesting. It just makes it more sad that it's gone because season three would have probably been even better. This would have been actual good comic content rather than anti-The Hand content that seemed like hand-me-down Daredevil plotlines.
The cancellations are theorized as being due to Disney starting their own subscription service, so Marvel is starting to buck their Netflix deals. It's also possible the viewership is down but it's hard to believe they're down so much the shows merited cancelling.
Attachments
(16.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet