The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Captain Tsubasa - Golden 23

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #115941  by Don
 Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 pm
My brother's an avid Tsubasa fan so I end up reading more of this than I should. After reading about Tsuabasa from a child all the way to an adult, I realized that out of all the characters, only Tsubasa, Wakabayashi, and Natreleza were not:

1. Abused/raped by a soccer ball as a child.
2. Had a loved one killed due to soccer
3. Had a loved one killed BY a soccer ball.
4. Any combination of above, usually all 3.

Natreleza is a minor character, so he's okay. Wakabayashi is a scam artist and we'll deal with him later. This bring us to Tsubasa, aka the Jesus of Soccer. It's pretty obvious that he's the best thing since sliced bread to the world of soccer, protected by the powers that be. It is rather disgusting how in a world where soccer ball is a weapon of mass destruction, that this guy just preaches about how soccer ball is your friend, and if you love it it will love you too. So I think for the good of the series, someone needs to break his leg, permanently, and then kill his wife with a soccer ball. I can understand that Japan is supposed to be a soccer superpower beating Brazil 25 - 0 on a regular basis, but even within the whacked world of Captain Tsubasa, it absolutely makes no sense why Tsubasa gets to be the person who has a free pass from soccer-related tragedy, and then always tell people about how good soccer is.

It's disgusting every time someone tries to break his legs, fails, gets red carded and he'd get up and say justice always triumphs! What doesn't kill me makes me stronger (he must have Super Saiyan blood too, as injury to him only makes him stronger)! Well let's see someone really does break his legs for good. After all you're talking about a world where people can kill each other with soccer balls. Let's say you're the opposing team. You know you're going to send someone who will get red carded to try to break Tsubasa's leg. You know that if you fail he actually powers up to even higher levels, and that in the world of Tsubasa killing someone is perfectly acceptable. Why would you do anything less than completely snap his leg in half?

Thankfully Tsubasa is largely absent in Golden 23, so I don't hate this as much as the normal Captain Tsubasa. It's your normal sob story of how everyone was abused by soccer when they're young but they still try their best so Japan can keep its 25 million game World Cup winning streak alive.

Moving on, in Golden 23, Wakabayashi, the SGGK (Super Great Goal Keeper) was finally exposed for the fraud he is. Wakabayashi, as a goalie, has the special power of never letting any shot go in if it's kicked outside the penalty area (only person who succeeded is Natreleza, who is Jesus #2 in this world). This sounds pretty impressive, until you consider that a sleeping baby in the world of Tsubasa can shake off 5 defenders to get into the penalty area to take a shot. All this time, the top shooters of the world has been fooled by Wakabayashi by attempting to try to shoot outside the penalty area. Obviously, even when endowed with superhuman powers, it's still harder to make a shot from far away (especially against a goalie with superhuman powers as well). It took until volume 6 when Nigeria national team had a light-bulb moment and realized that they just have to shoot INSIDE the penalty area, and that since like any typical Tsubasa games, getting to the penalty area requires 0 effort at all, they quickly exposed Wakabayashi for the fraud he is and scored 2 goals in the first half.

Right now, if you just pretend Tsubasa isn't there, the whole series is actually pretty enjoyable. No longer do you have to wonder why their opponents just didn't get a brain to see through Wakabayashi's scam, and maybe the Japanese national team might even lose, something that hasn't happened since the beginning of time. That's probably a bold prediction, of course.