The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #148055  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 am
Wow, the show really jumped up from the previous season in quality. Everything from Martin Scorsese directing a film with Larry David, to the rapper Krazy Eyes Killa, Larry fighting Christians, the tourettes chef who he suspected was a holocaust survivor, and Suzy Green's over-the top foul mouth; I especially liked the line "Carwash Cunt".

This season had more profanity in it than a season of South Park, and it fit just as beautifully along side even better and more messed up R-rated Seinfeldian storylines. This is one of the best seasons of a television series I have ever seen; and not just for immature reasons =P
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #148096  by Shrinweck
 Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:50 am
Amazingly enough they only get better. Every season you wonder how the hell he could possibly top it and then you hear Larry David doesn't really want to do another season because he's unsure about keeping the quality high... And then he does one... and fuck if it isn't better.
 #148104  by Flip
 Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:35 am
Yeah the awkwardness of the show gets smoother and everything more polished as it progresses. I think season 3-5 really hit its stride.
 #148109  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 am
Well, I bought season 4 and 5 as well. I can hardly wait to watch these. 6 seems a bit more expensive, so I'll wait until I am done these ones just in case the price drops.
 #148142  by Anarky
 Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 pm
I watched seasons 1 & 2 and absolutely hated the show. I know the whole premise is that he's his own worst enemy, but sweet Jesus it was just overdone and ridiculous.
 #148538  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 am
Finished up to the end of season 7 now. I must say, I love the show, and thankyou to those who recommended it to me (I believe Bovine, Blotus, Lox, and Flip). I do like the show a lot, and I see it as Seinfeld deluxe (Larry David is all the Seinfeld characters wrapped into one, even though George is supposed to be him in the show). It's Seinfeld, except with nothing taboo; it is refreshing to hear this level of freedom of speech =)

I have noticed a huge number of fairly well known celebrities getting roles in the show (as people other than themselves - ie. Sacha Baron Cohen, Tia Carrere, Vivica Fox, etc...); Larry David seems to be well connected in the acting circles. Marty Funkhouser is played by a guy everyone in Canada knows as Super Dave Osbourne, a very popular figure from the 80's (not sure if he was known in the US) - I didn't recognize the face, but there's no mistaking the voice.

I would say that overall my favourite character (Larry aside) is Susie Greene, mostly because she gets angry in every scene she is in - and I find that stuff funny.

Only one thing that really bothers me about the show... Jeff and Susie should have 3 children total, they had a second child in season 1, and a third child in season 3; these children are mysteriously absent in all future episodes - the only child ever mentioned is Sammy.
 #148572  by Blotus
 Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:51 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:I would say that overall my favourite character (Larry aside) is Susie Greene
"Fuck you, you car wash cunt!"
 #148584  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm
Anarky wrote:I watched seasons 1 & 2 and absolutely hated the show. I know the whole premise is that he's his own worst enemy, but sweet Jesus it was just overdone and ridiculous.
Reminds me of Seinfeld, and it's probably the reason why I hate Seinfeld.
 #169747  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:46 am
I don't know how I missed this!

Season 9 began filming in November, due to release this year. It looks like Larry David the genesis of this one was during a phone call between Larry David and JB Smoove.
 #170361  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 am
Anyway, Curb Season 9 has a bit of a different feel from the previous seasons. More Seinfeldian. Larry David is still a dislikable person, but he no longer cares as much; it's in a way that the season has no uncomfortable bits that characterized earlier seasons. While this makes the show watchable for some people, I enjoyed the cringey/uncomfortable stuff.

Overall, I found the whole season enjoyable. It's easily the second funniest in terms of jokes, season 8 IMO is the funniest, but I found it felt a little off from what I expected with this series. At the same time, I am thrilled to have another season. Season 8 still stands out as the overall best season, IMO, because of some really stand-out episodes; I think it had the two best with the Safehouse and the Palestinian Chicken; this season has an episode called The Accidental Text On Purpose which is one of the best (it would be the best Seinfeld episode - it's much more suited to that style of show than Curb), potentially 3rd in the whole series - I haven't given enough thought yet; Krazee-Eyez Killa or The Grand Opening are still probably my #3s (tied) with this one coming in fifth.

In short, it's a great season, but it seems more like Seinfeld adapted for the Curb Your Enthusiasm cast + F-bombs. So I can see how some fans might find it to be a little offputting. Larry David seems like George Costanza much more than Larry David. In some ways it tops previous seasons; in others, it falls below most of them. I think overall it's very a welcome addition.

The season main conflict
 #171553  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am
I didn’t even know about this, but Bob Einstein died of cancer earlier this year. He played Funkhouser on the show, one of Larry’s best friends.

In Canada, many of us who grew up in the 80s and early 90s know him best for his role as the daredevil Super Dave Osborne. He would often perform stunts, such as a skydive off the CN Tower (below), that would go terribly wrong and end up with him getting hurt to comical levels

#171683  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 pm
Season 10 is less than a week away.

For the first time in 12 years, Kaitlin Olson (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) returns to the role that got her started in acting, Cheryl's sister Becky.
Laverne Cox (Orange Is the New Black) and Jon Hamm (Black Mirror, The Town, Mad Men) make their debuts.

This should be a good season.