The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Does anyone watch Adventure Time?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #159570  by Flip
 Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 pm
I cant possibly be the only one who still likes American cartoons?

Its a great and funny ass show. Cute for kids but sometimes serious and downright weird for pot smoking adults. The creators of The Misadventires of Flapjack (which i also used to like) stopped doing that one and one went on to create Adventure Time while the other started Regular Show (which is also awesome).

Its non adult swim, but i watch most of those, too.
 #159571  by Eric
 Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 pm
I watch Adventure Time, Green Lantern, Young Justice and The Looney Tunes Show. :)
 #159575  by Zeus
 Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 pm
My kids love it which puts it at about the Toopy and Binoo level in my books (ie. only for the very young and simple minded)

I tell you what, though: Adventure Time was HUGE at Comic Con this year. They had a 5 or 6 story tall Finn across the street. I know the nerds for no good reason whatsoever love it. It's like the Broanies to me, though....
 #159582  by Shellie
 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 pm
The kiddo LOVES Adventure Time and Regular Show. It's pretty darn cute to see him and Sine do Finn and Jake's fist bump every time during the intro.
 #159587  by SineSwiper
 Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:38 am
I really like Adventure Time because they have some sort of continuity in a wacky cartoon. Real character development when they want to get serious, and still pretty funny when they want to be their usual self. Like one episode, they'll just start talking about the Mushroom War, giving clues to what happened back then and who was involved. Or episodes involving their dad. (Finn was adopted by Jake's parents as a baby, and as far as they know, he's the only known living human.)

For example, you find out that Ice King and Marceline are linked, but Ice King doesn't remember it, because his crown makes him crazy. You kinda feel sorry for the Ice King after learning just how screwed up his world is.
 #159588  by Shellie
 Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 am
I think that was my favorite episode, with Marceline and the Ice King
 #159604  by Flip
 Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 pm
I agree with Since, the back story that slowly leaks out about 'The War' and Finn's human history is pretty cool. The Ice King is a tragic story and the lonely depressed person they make his current character is funny but also pathetic.

I was really hoping for more when they had that latest Lich storyline where F&J got sucked into the timewarp/alternate reality. I mean, the Lich killed Billy and there seemed to be promise of more about 'The War', but they kind of copped out on it all.

I'm glad Finn doesnt pine over Princess Bubblegum anymore. Anyways, solid stuff out of a 15 min kids show, i think ive seen every episode.
 #159607  by SineSwiper
 Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:27 pm
I'm going through the seasons now, since I started watching the series pretty late.
 #159700  by Zeus
 Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am
I watch this show nearly every day with my kids. Honestly, I have no idea how anyone over the age of 7 or 8 finds it remotely interesting
 #159701  by Shrinweck
 Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm
Absurdist humor and amazing voice talent. Also a fair amount of jokes that no kids would understand. Basically the same reasons Pee Wee's Playhouse was genius. It's deeper than it seems and isn't mindless drivel like basically all of children's television.
 #159705  by Zeus
 Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:47 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Absurdist humor and amazing voice talent. Also a fair amount of jokes that no kids would understand. Basically the same reasons Pee Wee's Playhouse was genius. It's deeper than it seems and isn't mindless drivel like basically all of children's television.
Hey, I like DiMaggio....a lot. Might be my fav voice actor right now. He's funny, got a lot of range, changes tones well, got the sarcastic emotion thing down pat.....he really is great. But he ain't enough on his own.

I just can't agree with the "deeper" and "not mindless drivel" sentiment. That's all I've seen so far.....
 #159706  by Shrinweck
 Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm
I like to watch a few episodes of the show before bed, it isn't the second coming of Christ or anything so I'm not going to spend a lot of time defending it.. but it has a lot of subtle continuity and the themes presented aren't all childish bullshit. I know adults sometimes basically shut off during boring ass children's programming that their kids force them to watch 1-3 hours a day so I'm just going to insist you're not seeing what we're seeing.
 #159709  by Zeus
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 am
Shrinweck wrote:I like to watch a few episodes of the show before bed, it isn't the second coming of Christ or anything so I'm not going to spend a lot of time defending it.. but it has a lot of subtle continuity and the themes presented aren't all childish bullshit. I know adults sometimes basically shut off during boring ass children's programming that their kids force them to watch 1-3 hours a day so I'm just going to insist you're not seeing what we're seeing.
I watch it all the time, I'll try and look to see if there's anything to it
 #159710  by Shrinweck
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:40 am
At the very least listen for Maria Bamford cause she's a large part of what makes the show great for me in terms of voice talent (she does a lot of the minor characters... I'm not sure she has a major recurring role). Also the voice of BMO is oddly incredibly soothing and she gets a ton of good lines. I wish there was more of her. Lumpy Space Princess' voice makes me laugh based on absolutely none of the dialog sometimes.
 #159712  by Flip
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:56 am
I think my favorite episodes are the first two lemon grabs, an episode called 'thank you', and the really trippy 'king worm' one.

Shrin has nailed everything i feel about the show with his recent posts, if you don't get it you don't get it. I've always liked weird cartoons starting all the way back with ren & stimpy when I was a young buck and I knew there had to be a few people here who would appreciate this sort of stuff.
 #159713  by Lox
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:54 pm
Netflix is getting Adventure Time starting March 30 so I will be joining you guys as soon as that happens.

YUSS!
 #159714  by Flip
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:59 pm
It really hits its stride late in season 2 and 3 then beyond. Whenever i watch an old 2010 episode, the level of quality is just slightly missing..
 #159716  by Zeus
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm
Flip wrote: I've always liked weird cartoons starting all the way back with ren & stimpy when I was a young buck and I knew there had to be a few people here who would appreciate this sort of stuff.
Ren & Stimpy was freakin' hilarious back in the day. I liked that one a lot

I like the 'toons still but I'm not into the ones that are TOO oddball. Bob's Burgers isn't odd, I just find it dull. But I liked the older runs of Family Guy and Futurama. With Adventure Time, I find it more of a drag than anything. Like I said, I have to watch it with my kids so I'll look to see if I'm missing something. Can't really tell where I am episode-wise as it's just on TV
 #159717  by Shrinweck
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 pm
In order to thoroughly enjoy Bobs Burgers you probably need to have a comedy hard on for Jon H Benjamin. Yes I have that. It probably continues to get produced because no one involved is greedy... I think Kristen Schaal said she made like... four thousand dollars making season two or something.
 #159720  by SineSwiper
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:23 pm
For Zeus, some favorite moments:

(One of my son's favorite moments)

There's just something about the way Lemongrab screams that makes him great. And yeah, LSP's Valley Girl voice is pretty funny most of the time.
 #159723  by Zeus
 Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:10 am
I actually just saw the episode when Finn was kidnapped by the gnomes and Jake was always distracted trying to save Finn and ended up a "dancing god" last night. You can clearly tell that wasn't a kiddie show and it had some moments but it wasn't phenomenal or anything.

Honestly, I really just don't get the appeal. I mean, it's not a horrible show or anything. It's not like a hate-rage I have for it. I just don't think it's "great" and find it bad-silly instead of good-silly
 #159725  by Blotus
 Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:11 pm
I don't smoke enough pot anymore to enjoy this as y'all do. There's no denying its charm, but it doesn't really make me laugh (compared to Drawn Together). Would probably like as a kid or with kids.
 #159726  by SineSwiper
 Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 pm
Zeus wrote:Honestly, I really just don't get the appeal. I mean, it's not a horrible show or anything. It's not like a hate-rage I have for it. I just don't think it's "great" and find it bad-silly instead of good-silly
Well, it's not supposed to be super awesome or anything. I wouldn't put it on the caliber of, say, Archer or Robot Chicken or Venture Bros. But, those shows aren't meant for kids, either. (Trying to strike a good balance between the two audiences is tough.) It has enough "Parental Bonus Material" to be entertaining, like SBSP or Phineas and Ferb. Better yet, it's the kind of absurdist humor that I like.
 #159730  by Zeus
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:41 am
Shrinweck wrote:I mostly just wanted you to respect it more than My Little Pony :D
Kinda :-)
 #159744  by Flip
 Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 am
One of the greatest moments in AT history? Oh yes.

Oops, why can i never figure out these tags? ADMIN EDIT: It don't like https
 #159782  by SineSwiper
 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 pm
The Card Games episode is great, because you can tell they put a bit of work into the logic of the game.
 #160039  by Flip
 Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:18 pm
If anyone watched yesterday's new episode. Holy shmow, i'm not sure what i just saw. Innuendo's and insane weirdness overflow. AT took the weird to a whole new level. I thought the King Worm episode was trippy, but this one... i think i just got April Fool pranked hard.
 #160043  by SineSwiper
 Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:30 pm
Damn DVR on the frizz. I'll have to grab this one elsewhere.

Amazon Prime now has the first season available, btw.
 #160044  by Lox
 Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:17 pm
So does Netflix. Added it to my Instant Queue. I might give the first episode a watch tonight.
 #160049  by Flip
 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 am
The early seasons have a different feel, but i guess thats how all shows mature into what they eventually become.

More greatest moments in adventure time history...

#160054  by Zeus
 Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 pm
Wow. We opened up American Netflix at my bud's house. It's SOO much better than Canadian (still not worth the cost with torrents, though).
 #160056  by Shrinweck
 Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm
The sheer amount that's available for $8 a month is better than torrenting unless you're constantly dropping money on hard drives which defeats the purpose... If you find yourself watching less than three hours of Instant Watch a month then, yeah, probably not worth it. Watching several seasons of something requires you to find a healthy torrent and if you're using public trackers then you're taking more and more of a risk. At this point I'd rather stream a series over 1-3 months then have 20-100gb languish on my hard drives.

For less than going out to see a movie I have unlimited access to their library. It ain't a bad deal.

Also House of Cards and eventually Arrested Development and whatever else they're coming up with... It's a better deal than cable television.
 #160058  by Zeus
 Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:46 pm
I only watch current stuff, they don't have it, especially not up in Canada. Old stuff I can get anywhere quickly

What it boils down to is I don't consume enough stuff they have to make it worth my while. I'm not one of these people who doesn't have cable and spends many hours surfing what they have. And I need my sports so I need cable. Even at $8 a month, ain't worth it
 #160066  by Flip
 Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 am
I know I'm breaking down this dumb show way too much, but here is a good video that tries to explain its popularity toward adults.

Plus, here are more greatest moments in adventure time history!

#160093  by Shrinweck
 Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 am
The Cheers reference in one of the latest episodes is definitely one of those moments that remind me why I love the show.
 #160409  by Lox
 Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 am
I'm about 18 episodes into season 1. Absolutely awesome.

If the show only gets better from season 1, then I am in for quite a treat.
 #160411  by Flip
 Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 am
Lox wrote:I'm about 18 episodes into season 1. Absolutely awesome.

It does, so you will. Much more polished a few seasons in and the weird keeps coming.
 #160415  by Zeus
 Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 am
Flip wrote:

It does, so you will. Much more polished a few seasons in and the weird keeps coming.
No word of a lie: my kids are sick of the show now :-)
 #160430  by SineSwiper
 Sun May 19, 2013 1:03 pm
This season has been kinda lackluster, like they have explored all there is to explore. Actually, that pillow-world episode was pretty cool. Reminded me of TNG's The Inner Light.
 #160433  by Flip
 Sun May 19, 2013 2:34 pm
SineSwiper wrote:This season has been kinda lackluster, like they have explored all there is to explore. Actually, that pillow-world episode was pretty cool. Reminded me of TNG's The Inner Light.
Yeah i liked that one. The voice of old Finn was Riker and the parallel was supposedly on purpose.
 #160454  by Flip
 Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 pm
Zeus wrote:
Flip wrote:

No word of a lie: my kids are sick of the show now :-)
Not surprised, kids have the attention span of a gnat. Lets be honest, the show is not for them anyway.
 #160464  by Zeus
 Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 am
Flip wrote:Not surprised, kids have the attention span of a gnat. Lets be honest, the show is not for them anyway.
My kids are mezmorized by the 1960s Spiderman, they all sit down and watch entire episodes all the way through every time. My son actually sings the entire first verse of the song on cue, it's hilarious :-)

My kids actually love watching certain things, they're not kids who get bored of shows too easily. The reason they got sick of Adventure Time is because it's more boring and stupid than their kids shows to them. And they watch absolute garbage like Toopy and Binoo and adore Team Umizoomi (Nickelodeon down there if I'm not mistaken). That's sayin' something :-)
 #160465  by Flip
 Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 am
Youre kids are nuts, obviously youre raising them wrong, lol.

This shit is hilarious

#160553  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:29 pm
Flip wrote:(Lemon scream)
NOPE!