The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• TV series: The 100

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #164220  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 am
It's awful, but somehow in a really great way like Escape from LA/New York, Anaconda, Evil Dead, and Xena/Hercules.. and any number of 1950s and 60s horror movies... Which incidentally have been ripped off by this show; one of the recent episodes blatantly ripped off a key element of the plot of Atom Age Vampire.

In short, the series revolves around the concept of humans living aboard a space station for a century after the nuclear annihilation of civilization on the Earth below. They were beginning to have problems with air, and decided to send down 100 kids to the surface to see if the planet was habitable again. As it turns out, it was, only it's covered with raging mutant barbarians, and other factions...

And the area of DC seems to look remarkably similar to Vancouver Island British Columbia... Similar to Caprica - the well written and slow paced shiny successor to Battlestar Galactica that wasn't at all entertaining, and spent season 2 (err... 1.5) in a ratings decline.

The 100 is the polar opposite of Caprica. In the case of the 100, it is a very fast paced and written like a campy B-film, and it is VERY entertaining; like all great B-films, the poor story telling on top of an amazing concept is a fantastic source of entertainment. There are such gems as "Natural selection is the reason Grounders can survive the harsh radiation of the surface, they can metabolize radiation. Also, the reason why you 100 are able to survive is also thanks to natural selection." Which after three generations didn't seem to deplete the population by any real amount, particularly considering that they were overpopulated after just three generations!

I highly recommend the show, you WILL get hooked if you are into B-movies with fantastic concepts and really campy execution.

During season 1 people loved the concept, but found the show terrible (I assume), and it saw a ratings decline through the entire season. Yet come season 2, I think people really began to love this terrible series! I'm in that boat, I love it!

It is also one of the few shows on American TV that seems to be growing in viewership by the episode: Season 2 began with 1.54 million viewers on the premiere. That dropped to 1.48, but then episode 3 saw 1.68 million, and last week's episode saw 1.75 million.

Everywhere else, it's Netflix exclusive.

Clarke's mother is Paige Turco, who played April O'Neil from the 2nd and 3rd 1990s Ninja Turtles movies.
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #165298  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:28 am
Did you get to the end of season 2?

I'm addicted, it's easily my favourite show on TV right now.

Season finale details and season 3 thoughts/speculation:
Spoiler: show
That was a fairly cold ending. First executing the President of the United States/Mount Weather and then executing all of the survivors. Complete genocide. Lincoln finishing off the President's son was pretty badass though.

I think it's clear that Jaha will be the main villain of season 3, and Murphy will become the major hero... I always liked his character, everyone hated him so much in season 1. I also think that by the end of season 3 Octavia will lead a faction of Grounders, and by the end of season 4 she will be the overall commander. I have no idea what's happening with Clarke, but I would really like to see Kane play a much larger role in season 3 than he did in 2, he was a great character in season 1.
 #165301  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:17 pm
Yeah I watched all of it in like.. two days. Haha. There's some REALLY horrible CW relationship shit in the beginning, but after that it's more season three Battlestar Gallactica than Dawson's Creek
i.e. that whole oh no Finn just slept with Clarke and then his fucking girlfriend drops down thing.. god awful stuff. I don't see Murphy being anything other than a tragic hero that ends up dying, but you can kind of get that sense about just about every character. Also the sea cucumber monster was pretty hilarious.
 #165348  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:11 am
Season 3 is this Summer by the source below. I like the release cadence of this series more than others shows, 7 months between season 1 and 2, and 8-10 between 2 and 3... These are premieres as well, rather than finales to premieres. Thst means only 4-7 months in the off-season this year depending on which month they mean by Summer. In other words, most shows do a season a year, The 100 does it in less time than that. If season 3 launches in late June, that means every 7-8 months a few season arrives.

http://daterelease.net/100-season-3-release-date/
 #167711  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:21 pm
This season is a significant improvement over season 2. Everything is becoming bigger scale. It's like a huge Xena mini series, with guns and bombs.
 #168298  by kali o.
 Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:59 am
I kinda stopped watching when the adults came down. I mean, it started out stupid and cheesy, but then got stupid and serious...I will catch up eventually but in no hurry.
 #168327  by Shrinweck
 Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:38 am
The new season has a LOT of stupid shit but the real sci-fi stuff keeps getting leaked in and the last few episodes redeemed it.

Jerks.

One of the love interests died so the show is temporarily in "LETS GET SHIT DONE MODE" rather than teen melodrama mode.
 #168384  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:12 am
Pretty much what I suspected:

Ricky Whittle left the show because his character was starting to become poorly written in the 2nd and 3rd season. It's a shame, he was a very interesting character in the first season, then they began shedding many of those interesting elements during season 2.

He's the second really popular character they killed, Lexa being the other. A lot of fans are not happy with its direction lately. Hopefully they can turn it around by the finale.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-100/communi ... 996187766/
 #168385  by Shrinweck
 Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:50 am
He made the right decision. By the time he got killed off I didn't feel a thing. Really just a ruined character that, yeah, was probably among my favorites in season one.
 #168391  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:58 am
They did bring back a little reminder of how his character was in the first season when they found his stuff in the last episode, his notebook with medicine knowledge and sketch of Octavia.

I wonder if the whole Luna thing will be discovered in that book? That was a weird plot line that seemed like it had potential, which they cut, and then are kind of bringing it back in some form this season.
 #168457  by Julius Seeker
 Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 am
Looking forward to the next season of The 100.

FIRST, season 3 disorganized thoughts I want to get out of the way:

People were really freaking out over Lexa's death, she was a very liked character. It wasn't a situation like Lincoln where he got jerked around, it was that Lexa's actress had previous commitments, she didn't have time for The 100. That said, it's surprising how emotionally attached to Lexa's character people were; she was a really well done character, and I see her character as a preview as to what to expect from Luna.

Speaking of Luna, her story is that she was actually the strongest of the nightbloods. Given that she'll probably receive the AI chip, it means that she's going to possess a piece of the mind of Lexa in her in a similar way to the Tok'Ra symbiotes from Stargate, or the Dax symbiote from DS9.

One thing I dislike about the series is how easily manipulated the characters are; particularly, when ALIE was in Raven's body and began so easily manipulating people while she was bound and chained. Then in the big climactic moment of the finale, ALIE was manipulating Clarke in the same way. It's cheap, and it's lazy, and no one would be so easily manipulated unless they were a child.

The finale went very Caprica - they were in a virtual world, and Lexa got a really cool Xena-esque style battle scene. It doesn't show her fate, but she was charging into a huge horde of enemies. She's obviously not dead; they'll bring her mind back to go into Luna somehow, after Luna takes the ALIE 2.0 chip. I think the writers recognize that.

SEASON 4,

The world opens up, finally.
This is a world death sequence of Asimovian proportions. In fact, the story scene about the radiation intensifying is what happens in Asimov's universe. It looks like it might actually be a bit of the retelling of Robots and Empire, without Spacers.
In the Foundation sequels, in a depressing moment, they return to Earth and find not even one bacterium survived eventual effects of the radiation device activated in Robots and Empire. Speaking of Asimov, he jumped ahead until after the human population had already gone into bunker-life. It would have been interesting to do a Children of Men style story that showed the destruction of human society.
I want to see much more Luna, I already love her character.
I want to see Murphy continue to be pushed toward being one of the top characters. In season 1, he was probably the most hated character on the show; Season 2, he was neutral; and in my opinion, became one of the best in season 3; season 4, should show his potential to a driver of the main story. It'll be interesting, because he has been separated from the main cast since early season 2; and has grown significantly as a character since then.
 #169749  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:13 am
It's back on. Season 4.

Abandoned nuclear power plants are exploding around the world in massive T-2 style hydrogen bomb type explosions. The world's radiation is on the rise. When it hits red in 6 months everyone dies.

At least one of the characters mentioned "we'll probably be screwed before then from the radiation damage that will lead up to everyone dying." Which they definitely wouldn't have thought of in season 1 or 2 :P

I wonder if the whole Cult of Clexa thing has blown over yet? I recall people on YouTube describing anything involving lesbians as "very Clexa." Are there still billboards over LA freeways?
 #169750  by Oracle
 Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:01 am
My wife power-watched this show before Christmas. I watched most of seasons 1 and 2, and then just caught episodes here and there for 3.

I agree with posts from years ago - the show is stupid as fuck. Little addictive as well.

I'm not really that interested in season 4, but I'm sure I'll see some of it.
 #169751  by Shrinweck
 Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am
I stopped watching at some point in season three. I'm not sure I'll go back to it.
 #169752  by kali o.
 Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:35 pm
I binged watched and caught up a few weeks ago. I don't regret watching it, but I don't recommend it to others. It simply isn't particularly smart writing (and honestly, there was plenty of ripe opportunity for contemporary commentary with the whole sky people vs grounder thing) and the motivation/actions of characters are baffling at best.

Clarke is now a little bit of a mystical / neo aspect added to this otherwise straight sci fi narrative...which is pretty odd. And that made the whole last half of season 3 even weirder.

I'll probably tune into Season 4, but it remains low on my list. I think the lesbian overtones drove the ratings, which appear to have dropped by nearly half. I won't lie, I had a CLEXA boner.
 #170030  by Julius Seeker
 Mon May 08, 2017 6:06 pm
This season is kind of boring.

Season 1 had the Reapers and Grounders
Season 2 had Vampire Mt. Weather folk.
Season 3, the strongest, had Ice Nation, Pike, Allie and Jaha.
Season 4 has rising radiation and a time limit, it's just not as interesting. The whole season feels a bit like a rejected script for season 3.

Hopefully season 5 brings in a much better villain. Something crazy and B-movie-ish.
 #170518  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:11 pm
"Eden" is the name of the episode, in reference to the spot of greenery that Clarke found at the end of last season.

Opening of the season shows some interesting visuals as Clarke begins her 5 year wait.
They have Chvrches in the future.
Direction seems to be overall better.
Got some very Land Before Time vibes.

The episode sets up what the season is going to be about very well, and I am really looking forward to the next one. Easily the best intro to a season of the show.
There are four groups:
* The Prison Gang - They were in stasis for a while. It's uncertain what they're going to be, seem like assholes. I was hoping for a group a little bit different than other factions we've seen in the past, but they're essentially another faction of spacers. I'm a little disappointed at the moment.
* Clarke - much like she always is, a little more ruthless. She had to kill a couple of prison gang members who attacked her and Madi. This story is interesting, I wish they went more into survival stuff and building up a home, they basically didn't do anything, it focused not on the "How do we survive" plot but the "What are other people doing."
* Belamy's crew seems like the most interesting - they're doing the whole "people are there! Whew! We're safe. The sort of thing Hitchcock made famous where the audience knows the full extent of the danger that the characters are accidentally walking into.
* Octavia has become Underground Calisto from Xena Warrior Princess. This could be cool. So while the Prison Gang look like assholes that might be redeemable, Octavia's group are clearly much bigger, stronger, and more violent.

And one probable hypothetical group: Spacers rebel grounders living Underground, they're either quiet and collaborating with Ocatvia against their will, or in prison awaiting torture and possible execution.

My prediction of the season's plot:
1. Main Conflict: Who controls the great valley.
2. Main Antagonist: Octavia's faction is the new cataclysmic beast at the end of the tunnel. They're likely focusing on digging their way out of their bunker-layer.
3. Secondary Antagonist: Prison gang will have an evil faction, and a good faction. They'll struggle for dominance in a shaky alliance.
4. Alliances: Belamy and Clarke will reunite and align. Belamy and Clarke will team with whoever is the dominant faction is, and Murphy will go the other way while maintaining a shaky friendship with Clarke/Belamy. One in Belamy's group will join the evil faction out of some kind of irrational fear.
5. Escalation: Clarke and Belamy will not realize Octavia's group are murderous assholes, and try to get them out as a means to defeat the evil Prison Gang faction once they take over. They'll replace lawful evil with savage evil on steroids.
6. Climax: Octavia's group breaks free, totally anihilates most of the Prison Gang (both factions) and capture Clarke and Belamy who she thinks are allies; and this will either lead into the second half of the season if it's paced like season 3, or will lead into season 6 if paced like last season.
So far, I have more hope for this season than last, the proposed conflicts seem MUCH more interesting because they're about humans with unknowable reactions, and not an eventual explosion whose action can only go one way.
 #170541  by Shrinweck
 Sat May 19, 2018 1:20 am
I finally got back into this. I like some of the plots. Season four was a bit of slog. I do like where this season is going, though.

Enough of it is well done that I think I'll keep watching, but this may be more of a series for binging while I play video games than watching every week.
 #170567  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 31, 2018 7:03 pm
The opening 5 is the strongest opening 5 episodes of a season so far. Not just because they were entertaining, but they really built up a "I wanna see what happens the rest of the season" feeling. I'd even go so far as to say they're outdoing Westworld (so far... it's unlikely they'll top Westworld when its all done... as, if it's anything like season 1, you won't know how much you've been set up until the end... and the 100 isn't that kind of show).
 #171338  by Julius Seeker
 Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm
Renewed for season 7, currently on 6. I am enjoying this season more than any other so far. It has a bit of an Asimov "Nightfall" feeling to it. The difference is the insanity is real, and eclipses occur far more frequently than every 2049 years (or whatever).

In short (Season 5 finale spoilers)
[spoilers]They destroyed what was left of livable earth at the end of season 5. Then got in a prison ship, and travelled for more than a century in stasis until reaching a human colony settled (now) 200+ years ago.[/spoilers]
 #171346  by Shrinweck
 Sun May 26, 2019 12:41 am
I stopped at season five, but that ending and the current premise sounds pretty interesting at least. The kidnapping/opioid addiction storyline killed my urge to watch this as it aired but maybe I'll give it another chance. At this point I'll probably pass on re-watching the old seasons though lol
 #171349  by Julius Seeker
 Sun May 26, 2019 3:54 pm
Season 5 finale works well as a series finale. The first 5 seasons are categorized as "Book 1" officially.

Season 6 onward is like a new series with characters of the same background. It has a different feel. More vibrant, larger in scope, but also more focused - and WAY better paced. The production values are a lot higher. The first 4 episodes are 4 of the best episodes of the entire series (IMHO), the last one may even be my favourite even though it ended in a cliffhanger. JR Bourne (Martouf of the Tok’Ra from SG-1) is a great new addition to the cast. Without spoiling too much, it has a very 12,000 BC Chrono Trigger vibe.

From a viewership standpoint on IMDB:
Sanctum - 9.0
Red Sun Rising - 9.1
Children of Gabriel - 9.1
The Face Behind the Glass - 9.3
 #171369  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:21 am
The premise of every season of this is always great and now that I'm caught up and part way into episode 3 I would say this season is doing a better job of not botching said premise.
 #171378  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 pm
Haha, you're in for a bit of a treat. In my opinion, Episode 4 is where the season turned from very good to great. Episode 6, was SO good.

This season is like a completely different show for reasons other than the obvious new setting. The writers, actors, and directors have all stepped it up big time.
 #171431  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 pm
Is it just me?

ImageImage

They even kind of sound the same. Although around 20 years separates them.
 #171524  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:46 pm
This season is not just my favourite, but it’s not even close. They put WAY more work into it all around: plotting, writing, and visuals. Additionally, I very much enjoy the shift from a more post-apocalyptic setting into something far more science fiction. They’ve taken some of the more “mythical” technology and expanded on it.

Already most of my top 10 episodes in the whole franchise are from this season. It really is a rebirth of sorts. The latest episode (on Netflix tomorrow) is receiving some stellar reviews (currently holding a 9.9 on IMDB): it’s directed by Stargate’s Amanda Tapping - I’m looking forward to seeing it. If I hadn’t made it clear before, Stargate is one of my all time favourite sci-fi franchises (especially later SG-1 and Atlantis; though I liked the earlier episodes too when they were constantly ripping off Star Trek plots: The Nox, one which rips off Errand of Mercy from Star Trek TOS might be the best episode of the first 2-3 seasons of SG-1).
 #171527  by Shrinweck
 Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm
Yeah this is just a good premise I'm pretty interested to see where it goes from here. I wish Netflix US got episodes of currently airing TV shows as they came out. Even Hulu wants more money for me to see The 100.
 #171531  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm
I didn’t actually realize Netflix US didn’t have that. In Canada it’s a fairly limited number of shows that get shows the weak of their release on cable/networks. Some shows like Better Call Saul don’t pop up for 6-8 months after airing: I typically don’t care because the human race is WAY better as a whole at not spoiling things today than a decade ago.
 #171533  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:26 pm
We typically don't get "new" seasons of something that's currently airing until right before the start of the actual new season.