The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Last Inning again

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #169906  by Don
 Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 pm
This is like literally the dumbest sports manga I've seen. I think it's got a lot of following for being contrary because it's supposed to be realistic or something, and it is, but it's more like doing exactly opposite of any kind of mainstream sports manga in a realistic, wrong, and dumb way. Here's the latest chapter:

The protagonist team is up 6-0, enemy team 1 out runner on 3rd, bottom of 3rd.

Catcher: We're in a rough spot. I think we need to use our ultimate strategy, the 'let them score one run on purpose for no reason' strategy.
Pitcher: *gulp*
Some guy: I bring new directions from coach.
Catcher: Yes, we've practiced this all season and know what to do.
Some guy: The coach says it's time to use the 'don't let them score any run strategy'.
Everyone: !!!!!!
Blonde ditz manager who is likely the only person that knows something about baseball: Coach, I think Sabermetrics says if they do a squeeze play in a situation like this it's actually advantageous to us.
Coach: Silence dumb blonde! That's exactly why we need to do the unexpected and not let them score to keep them off guard!

The enemy team executes a suicide squeeze, runner scores and batter is safe at first since they tried to tag the guy at home.

Coach: (lightning bolt in the background) IMPOSSIBLE! My perfect strategy failed???! I have underestimated their powers!

Also earlier the coach started a pitcher who throws very slow and have terrible ball control, saying that nobody will expect someone who pitches this terribly so the opposing team can't handle it. He's literally saying if you got no velocity and no control, then that makes you an awesome pitcher.

Recently it's pretty much Helck and Grand Blue holding down the fort for me. Hi-Score Girl is also very good but it seems to be slower than usual. Last Inning does produce a lot of unintentional amusement. I find the same issue with Baby Steps though it's not as egregious. It's like since you don't want people to do superhuman stuff you end up having a game of perfectly boring things and yet you still need to show why these guys are awesome so you come up with the dumbest thing that attempts to inject drama. I can get that if a guy can create a black hole with his racket that might be hard to handle, but Baby Steps is something like 'this guy makes a face that looks like he's constipated when he hits his best shot'. Even if someone really does that, it's unlikely you can read someone's face fast enough to matter, nor does it actually help you return a hard forehand or whatever the other guy's best shot is.