The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Tenchi Muyo

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #170333  by Don
 Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:51 pm
So I was cleaning out my old stuff and found a lot of Tenchi Muyo stuff. Looking bad, I noticed that the main OAV series is actually only 6 or 7 episodes long and it actually covers all the characters. In fact since all the later stuff went off on tangents and random new characters you actually end up with most of the cast already developed in a relatively short time. There are a lot of spinoffs and mangas and again they're all reasonably short. It's nothing like today where stuff runs for 50 volumes of manga or 300 episodes of Anime and it still hasn't gotten anywhere. Sure, Tenchi Muyo is one of those 'mysteries to be revealed later' deal, but honestly it doesn't really matter if the Three Goddesses are always just Deus Ex Machina or that you never know what the heck Ryoko's jewels do other than being a mysterious power source. I think it's not until five years after the original OAV came out you even have a name of Tenchi's sword (True Light Hawk Sword) which is somehow cooler than the light saber he starts with.

Now I do have a problem with the later installments where they have way too many characters (apparently there must be a billion members in the Jurai Royal family) that it doesn't even focus on the main cast anymore but I think those came out a decade or later than the original and can be thought of as an afterthought. Even something like the two Tenchi TV series which I didn't like is at least fairly coherent and consistent and didn't drag on even if it's not particularly good. Also, I don't get why people in the Tenchi universe prefers to a carrot farmer over Emperor of Jurai. It's one thing that being an N-th dimensional entity like Tenchi might be kind of annoying but Emperor of Jurai is just your plain old ruler of the universe. It's a position that's basically exists by divine right so as long as you're backed up by Tsunami, which Tenchi is, there's pretty much no risk and no hassle and you don't even have to know what the emperor of the universe is supposed to do anyway because there are tons of other royal family members that you can delegate.

There's supposed to be a 4th OAV out recently but I can't even find information on it anywhere without trying very hard so I guess there's probably not much interest.
 #170334  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 am
As for Tenchi, the way I see it is:

Main stuff: OVA Episode 1-6 (series 1) & Tenchi the Movie: Tenchi Muyo in Love - even though they are two different timelines (the movie is from the Universe timeline).
Tenchi Universe & Tenchi in Tokyo
A lot of people hated Tenchi in Tokyo; it's light-hearted, more cartoony, and yet oddly dark at the same time (especially the ending). But I like Sakuya, so I like this series.

There's a lot more Tenchi over the past decade.

On the OVA Timeline
OVA 4 is subbed on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxWhrw0Y_8
War on Geminar - deals with Tenchi's younger half-brother Kenshi.
GXP - deals with a cousin of Tenchi in the Galaxy Police. Tennyo Masaki is also involved.

On the Universe Timeline
AI: Tenchi - it has an interesting concept: he's a 12th-grade teacher at an all girl's school, and the staff is all women. The others send a teenaged Sasami to spy on Tenchi by becoming a student at the school. Each episode is only 4 minute long shorts, but there's like 60 of them; so it's 4 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNPE9a ... LYIQD_ZSbC It reminds me of those compilation shorts that used to be popular, like Tiny Toon Adventures; except with anime.

The timelines are as follows:

Timeline 1
OVA 1, 2, 3, 4
GXP
War on Geminar

Timeline 1.5
Daughter of Cringiness

Timeline 2
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi the Movie: Tenchi in Love
Tenchi in Love 2
Ai: Tenchi

Timeline 3
Tenchi in Tokyo
Specials
 #170335  by Don
 Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:20 pm
The new stuff you talking about are all totally obscure things that nobody really cares about. There's more interest in Chisa Yokoyama (VA for Sasami) had yet another abortion compared to any news to Tenchi Muyo itself. The extended Jurai Royal Family just aren't all that interesting. For better or for worse, at least Tenchi in Tokyo was something people watched and you can't say the same thing about the newer stuff. I don't think anyone expected Tenchi Muyo to be a smash hit but going from a decent following to utter irrelevance is pretty sad. It's not even because the new stuff is necessarily bad, because that'd mean people even watched it in the first place.