The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• South Park Season 21 All Up

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #170344  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm
If you haven't been watching, the whole thing is now available online (Much Music in Canada, and on the official website in the US: http://www.southparkstudios.nu/full-episodes

This season, as predicted, reverted to a more season 18 style with less emphasis on a season-wide arc without getting rid of it altogether. There were some classic feeling moments throughout; particularly the Halloween episode. They also re-treaded some themes from the early season (which I will get into below). Kenny was barely present this season, and I don't think it hurt it too much; the stories revolved mostly around Cartman and Kyle creating some of the best conflicts in years.

My least favourite episode was the season premiere. By far. But it gets A LOT better in episode 2, and keeps getting better from there.

My favourite episode was the second last one titled: "Super Hard PCness" - which featured PC Principal. It is the episode that does the retreading; I wasn't disappointed. They did it much better than other shows have done in the past - most notably the Simpsons. PC Principal was brought in as a villain and somehow became one of the shows most likable characters.

Also, somehow this season managed to piss off a lot of people; too many people were bashing the season for being "too lib" because it portrayed Garrison Trump as being too wacky, or teasing the pro-confederates. Ultimately taking things personally - and playing the victim. Incidentally, the central theme of several episodes this season was how much of a dick move it is to make yourself into a victim. That is what makes the final episode "Splatty Tomato" have perhaps the best message of the entire series: which returns to the first time they went with the theme - using Terrence and Philip as a metaphor for South Park. It gave the last episode a very classic feeling.

Overall, IMO, one of the better seasons; and my favourite type of format - smaller season-long plot threads, but with a more episodic approach.