The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The one unwritten Star Wars film I would love to see

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #170491  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm
Han Solo? Looks like it could be fun, but... yeah... Not exactly what I would be rushing out to the movies to see.

Rogue One showed the origin of the rebellion, how it developed until the spectacular battle at the end of the film; which might be the most exciting thing that ever happened in Star Wars (it has my vote). Despite the fact that the entire team got wiped out, there's space for a direct sequel.

In the original Star Wars, there is one big gap in the plot. This untold story occurs from the perspective of the rebellion between the end of Rogue One and the Battle of Yavin at the end of the original Star Wars. The Death Star in Rogue One was such a cool and menacing vessel, more so than it was in the original trilogy; more so than anything since. It would be awesome to see a re-visit to that sort of story.

As it stands, it looks like the rebels just happen to appear in the right place at the right time. That part of the story seems a little contrived on its own. Given a proper film that parallels the original 1977 Star Wars, that final gap in the plot could be closed up. We could also see a visually updated Battle of Yavin without the need of remaking the original Star Wars (Lukas already gave it a new paint job in the 90s). The Death Star could have that terrifying presence replicated from Rogue One.

In addition, I REALLY enjoyed the darker and grittier tone of Rogue One. I want to see that again. It is more along the lines of that original 1977 tone when compared to the sequels and prequels (Rogue One aside) - which, IMO, are more cartoony. I am thinking something along the lines of Hunt for Red October - the part about hunting a dangerous vessel down with mass destructive capability; in this case, it sees several successes. Despite its massive size, it has this elusive quality to it, and where it happens to pop up, devastation. I would love to see a re-do of the destruction of Alderaan as well, something less cheap looking, and have shots from the planet's surface.
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #170492  by Shrinweck
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm
I'm excited to see Dong Lover play Lando but otherwise I'm not really excited to see Solo. I will see it though. I'm not sure when my exhaustion of Star Wars movie once every 1-2 years will start, but it hasn't even remotely began yet.
 #170493  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:09 pm
I am finding the Universe more interesting than the various Marvel continuums at the moment (despite not even considering myself a fan).

I definitely have a new appreciation for the whole Luke Skywalker saga after recent films. I like the new characters in the main series, but I am not so much a fan of the individual film plots (minus Rogue One). They have been doing similar things to other action blockbusters lately where character motivational shifts and particular events are steered by the requirements of the plot; while older films are much the opposite, character motivations and events steer the course of the plot. That is sort of how I felt about Star Wars vs. The Force Awakens - while the plots seemed the same, they felt very different - the two contrived elements of Star Wars (A New Hope) were the weakness of the Death Star and the appearance of the rebellion at the appropriate time - but that can be explained by story we haven't seen, while the events and motivational shifts of The Force Awakens cannot be.