The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Cobra Kai

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #170556  by kali o.
 Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm
I only watched the first two free episodes so far, but they were good enough that I feel compelled to sign up for at least the free 30 days of redtube (edit: lol...I mean youtube red) to see the rest. The whole reversal angle is funny, and there seems to be an underlying social commentary that is pretty smart. I was also seriously surprised how much I liked the actor that plays Johnny Lawrence...he's really fucking good and on point.

#170557  by kali o.
 Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 am
Binged watched the remaining episodes. Gotta say -- I am really impressed with this one and I don't think it's just the nostalgia (though I'm sure it helped). The show stayed funny and smart the entire 1st season. There is a point in the finale, which I will spoil below, that really kind of exemplified the writers staying cleverly self aware throughout the season, when it could have easily jumped the shark at a lot of points instead.

I really liked it -- check it out if at all interested.
Spoiler: show
When Daniel started doing the Miyagi magic hand thing, then yelled for a medic
 #170558  by Eric
 Fri May 25, 2018 7:28 pm
Definitely wanna watch this :D
 #170766  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:36 am
Cobra Kai was shockingly good....like, really shocking. The fact it focused on Johnny and the fallout of his fight with Daniel while bring Larusso back in almost a co-lead role in the last 2/3rds of the season was brilliant. Both Zabka and Macchio gave serious depth to characters they played 30 years ago that, honestly, didn't have a ton of depth back then (even for the sequel for Daniel). Played off the nostalgia but not overly forced, almost like it was self-aware of its legacy but wanted to give you a different angle of everything (particularly in the last episode; just amazing).

That and Ash vs Evil Dead are what all remakes/continuations should strive to be like. We got 3 bonus seasons of Ash, I hope we get at least that of Cobra Kai