The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Bojack Horseman 5

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #170752  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:56 pm
A compilation of one of the light-hearted storylines featuring a sex robot and corporate life.

Anyway, if season 4 sealed Bojack as one of the most interesting animated series to ever be produced, season 5 confirms it.

As is the case with the previous two seasons, there are (at least) two outstanding episodes - one with an interesting gimmick, and the other with a very dark theme (again, the second last episode of the season) -- this season's reminded me of the final act of Goodfellas with the drug paranoia and shift in reality.

Without spoiling much, this one puts Bojack in an edgey acting/drama project dealing with a police detective with some demons. His co-star, Gina, is a woman in her late 30s dealing with the biggest break of her acting career, and the two begin a sexual relationship away from the public eye. (Minor spoiler over the next few lines) Bojack still indulges in alcoholism and an injury causes him to get prescribed opioid medication - and things begin to spin out of control from there (remember, Bojack is an addict); the show does a great kind of twist to make the viewer sympathize with him a bit, when a certain loved-one dumps some pills down the sink and you (the viewer) think "What did she do that for? He's not abusing!" only to have the reality of the situation unveiled later.

The season involves a lot of meta-analyses using the TV show Bojack works on; though going into details here sort of spoils one of the major season-long plot threads of the season.

Finally, this season is more Bojack centric than season 4 - which makes the two hard to compare IMO; I wouldn't take one season over the other - season 4 had a lot of time dedicated to Bojack's mother, Hollyhock, Princess Carolyn, Dianne, and Mr. Peanutbutter; but, the Bojack centric episodes of season 4 felt extra special. In contrast, season 5 is heavily focused on Bojack. From a critical standpoint, season 5 has scored the highest grades of the series so far with a 100%/9.15 average on Rotten Tomatoes.
 #170753  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:04 pm
I liked season five more. I don't dislike the other characters but I would say 85% of why I watch the show is Bojack, 10% Diane, and 5% Carolyn. I'm not into the Todd storyline and it misses with me in the comedy relief department, as well, so I find myself not paying any attention during his plots.

I did like where they went with Mr Peanutbutter this season, though.

I hope the quality continues to be great. There's only been one season I didn't like and it was long ago enough that I don't even know which one it was lol
 #170755  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 pm
Do you remember what happened in it?

Season 1 primarily dealt with Diane and her book, and Bojack's crush on her.
Season 2 with Herb Kazazz dying and Bojack trying to resolve their feud since Bojack turned his back on him.
Season 3 with the Secretariat film and the Sarah Lynn tragedy.

I probably enjoyed season 4 a lot more than some because I do like the other characters quite a bit - but Todd's story last season was at its weakest (he peaked in season 1 IMO), though I enjoyed his story this season with the sexual harassment robot gags... but again, Todd was an afterthought, for the most part, this season.
 #170756  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:44 pm
I'm going to guess two or three, but probably two.
 #170757  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 pm
The dark episode of season 2 was when Bojack left LA to seek out his former crush, Charlotte the deer, but finds her married and with a rebellious teenage daughter. Bojack, seeing Charlotte is happy tries to seduce her daughter. She’s in that impressionable/depressed stage of life, and goes along with it until Charlotte bursts in on them and threatens to kill Bojack if he ever comes back.

Later on (I believe season 3) Charlotte’s daughter sees Bojack again, she’s over her angsty teenage years but sees Bojack as a scary person now.

As a note on season 5, I think the interesting theme:
Spoiler: show
Was how it made Bojack out to be the victim, and as a viewer - you see Bojack as the victim of everything because the focus is so heavily upon him. Ironically, the moment where everything snaps into focus is when Bojack himself says to Dianne: “No one is a bigger victim in all of this than me.” and how silly those words sound. The biggest victim this season is the one who is doing all she can to hide the fact that she’s a victim: Gina.