The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Synthwave: Everything 80's Is New Again

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #171180  by Replay
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:21 am
Really obsessed with synthwave music lately - basically, imagine if 80's pop ballads never went out of style, and had the benefit of modern synths and instrumental backing.

In particular, I just love The Midnight, from Los Angeles - kind of like a sweeter, more nostalgic, more saxophonish Duran Duran - and Highway Superstar, from Israel, who draws comparison to Phil Collins.

For those interested, here's a fuller introduction to the genre:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/07/26/s ... -bandcamp/

It's a really great antidote to the lack of diversity on American radio, and hits the sweet spot for those who miss the music of the 1980's in particular; something I really want to support.
 #171181  by Shrinweck
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm
This is probably my favorite music genre these days other than soundtracks. I also really love The Midnight. My favorite song of theirs probably changes every few months though haha

I also really like Perturbator. He popped onto my radar when I heard a couple tracks he did for the game Hotline Miami, but I didn't start buying his albums and listening regularly until I saw the Cyberpunk 2077 video with his music replacing the weird slow rock song CDPR decided to choose for it.

#171190  by Replay
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 am
Shrinweck wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm
This is probably my favorite music genre these days other than soundtracks. I also really love The Midnight. My favorite song of theirs probably changes every few months though haha
You are a gentleman and a scholar, Shrinweck. :)

By the way, I love that video! Looks like possibly one of the new Unity/Ue4 cinematic experiences.
 #171303  by Replay
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:07 pm
The Freeweights are like the second coming of Tears for Fears: