The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Some Film Scenes I like since 2000

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #171590  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:36 am
This forum hasn't had a lot of activity. So I figured I'd post some scenes from films that people might find interesting (if by chance you haven't watched these before).

Not much to say here, I find this scene incredibly satisfying: one psychopathic asshole wiped by an even bigger psychopathic asshole. Love him or hate him, Tom Cruise plays a fantastic villain.

This scene will always remind me of the first time I saw this film. It took me by surprise! I am not a fan of superhero films almost as a rule - but the X-men franchise has somehow been an exception for the most part (I am not a big fan of the original trilogy and a few of the others). Logan felt different than the typical formulaic superhero blockbuster, at least for the first two acts: the third act fell into the same contrivances of the modern blockbuster.

The book is different from anything I've ever read at the structural level. It's not a traditional novel as there's no structure of which to speak. It's a dark comedy which more or less satirizes New York City and yuppie culture. The film takes the scenes and fits them all together in a somewhat recognizable three-act format. I think the author (Bret Easton Ellis) was a bit unhappy with this approach because he hates conventions. The following two scenes are linked to show the difference in priority between a yuppie and a normal human being. The business cards and the restaurant reservation are two things Patrick Batman cares more about than anything: enough that he would murder someone in vengeance over.

I picked out this one scene from Children of Men; it's a film FULL of beautiful shots and scenes. While the story isn't necessarily my favourite of the dystopian genre, I can't think of any film in the genre I have enjoyed as much. Not even the classics like Logan's Run and Blade Runner (which I used to dislike, but have grown into it).

Of conventional superhero films, X-Men First Class is the one I enjoyed the most. These two bookend scenes are quite good.