The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Record Label 4AD

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #171685  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:37 pm
Bored, I thought I'd share one of my all-time favourite record labels. In my top 5 of all time alongside Death Row and Sub Pop. This one contains several of my favourite acts of all time on it.

Pixies - one of the most influential acts on 1990s music

Lush - If Pixies and My Bloody Valentine had a lovechild, Lush is that. They had a string of hits in the early to mid 1990s, their final album was a compilation released in Canada only. They had a brief reunion with some new songs in 2015.

Grimes - One of the current acts on the label, she signed in 2012 and is about to release her latest album to the label with Miss Anthropocene (one of the best names I've ever heard for an album). She's currently in the news for being pregnant with Elon Musk's child.

The Breeders - The spinoff of Pixies, really more of a one-hit-wonder, but WHAT a hit.

St. Vincent - Back before she was making radio-friendly tunes, she explored the more experimental jams and the artistic side of music. Admittedly, I'm a much bigger fan of her more recent tunes like Los Ageless but respect her early work. I stuck to stuff recorded for the label (so no Masseduction material).

Bausaus - among the very first signings to the label.