The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Olivia de Havilland (Maid Marian) dies at age 104

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #172012  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:54 am
She was the last star of the Hollywood Golden Age (1927 to 1945 or 48 - it depends on which articles you read). Winner of 2 Golden Globes, 2 Oscars, and sister/rival of Joan Fontaine from the same era, who passed away a few years ago.

Aside from being Joan Fontaine's sister (who I am much more familiar with), Olivia De Havilland is best known to me as Maid Marian from The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938, she starred opposite Errol Flynn who famously played Robin Hood, and Claude Rains who famously played Prince John (although he's MUCH more famous for his roles in Casablanca and Notorious). She is perhaps most famous for her role in Gone with Wind where she was nominated for an Oscar, one of her 5 nominations. She won the Best Actress for The Heiress and To Each His Own, both from the Silver Age of Hollywood (1946 to 67), although To Each His Own is Golden Age by some definitions.

Only one actor from the Hollywood Golden Age remains, Norman Lloyd, who is 105 and is best known for Hitchcock's Saboteur (1942) where he played (Frank) Fry.Betty White also has a bit role credited to a 1945 short, but this is all who remains from this era. Norman Lloyd is more recently (well, by recently I mean the 1960-1980s) as a producer and director; though he did have a role in Dead Poet's Society and guest star as Dr. Galen on an episode of Star Trek TNG when he was still only 80,