The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Author Terry Goodkind dead at age 72

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #172062  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:16 am
I figured it was worth mentioning because it was his books that I took my name from in these forums. Now, years later, I think it was unfortunate that I came across him after I came across Robert Jordan. And speaking of Robert Jordan, it was a situation regarding him that made me lose all respect for Terry Goodkind.

First, it must be said I first read the Sword of Truth books before I read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and now I regret doing that. I'm not a big fan of fantasy despite The Silmarillion being my favourite book and quite liking much of Robert Jordan's work. But when I attempted a re-read of Wizard's First Rule, I had no idea just how much he ripped stuff off of other authors, especially Jordan (and also Tolkien and George Lucas). It's not that he ripped them off, but things felt very hollow. Richard Rahl is the Dragon Reborn (without the taint) son of Darth Vader, took Excalibur from the Gollum character who was twisted - stretched, like butter spread over too much bread. He meets Solitaire, the most beautiful woman of all time (yeah, it actually says something like that) who quickly becomes enamored with him, but she has to stay virginal to keep her powers well, until he can find a workaround by... get this, "love!" =P

It's beyond contrived, like he pulls spells and finds dragons, meets the exact people he needs, has the exact change in attitudes needed. Mind got broken via torture? That's OK, Richard folded part of it away in a box no trauma! (then he fucks the woman who tortured him). It's REALLY bad compared to what I remember. He may have stolen from George Lucas, but Disney at least stole the idea of making a super-contrived story back from Terry when they did Force Awakens.

Richard is also a tremendous dick; did I actually find this character endearing before? But the thing is, Richard's arrogance has nothing to do with a fatal flaw, or even a flaw at all. In fact, what I think he was trying to make out of a flaw for Richard was that he was too damn ignorant about just how damn awesome he actually is. I recall in one of the later books he stopped an Empire by building a statue - it was an Empire that everyone just kind of accepted was going to be there, but there was no skill or leadership behind it, and somehow Richard's little Kingdom was able to thwart them because of just how awesome Richard and Kahlan are.

Speaking of Disney, Wizard's First Rule mixes a lot of Disneyish type stuff with a lot of torture and gruesome violence. I thought that was kind of funny, but I think he just doesn't understand how to keep a story's tone correct.

Now I come back to Robert Jordan, and you might ask "Seeker, why are you being such a tremendous cunt to a dead guy whose books you used to like as a teenager?"

Goodkind apparently mocked Robert Jordan for missing a convention. Robert Jordan who was terminally ill, and Goodkind shortly after made a post about his own great health.

Two years ago, Goodkind had a very public spat calling the stuff on the cover art of one of his books, trash. The artist was a little miffed and point out that Terry had given him the instructions on what he wanted. Goodkind just wanted to be a dick.

Anyway, here's a beautiful interview:

Orem Utah: What do you think distinguishes your books from all of the other fantasy books out there, and why should readers choose to read your series?

Terry Goodkind: There are several things. First of all, I don't write fantasy. I write stories that have important human themes. They have elements of romance, history, adventure, mystery and philosophy. Most fantasy is one-dimensional. It's either about magic or a world-building. I don't do either.

My comment: Yeah Terry! As if other fantasy books don't have romance, history, adventure, mystery, or philosophy =P

Terry Goodkind: And in most fantasy magic is a mystical element. In my books fantasy is a metaphysical reality that behaves according to its own laws of identity.

My comment: Errr, what?

Haddonfield, NJ: I've noticed similarities between your Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...(Black Sisterhood vs. Black Ajah; The Order vs. The Seanchan; Richard vs. Rand both discovering their powers, both have Nameless evil Gods...etc.) I've often voiced my suspicion that these two series might be occurring on the same world...how crazy am I?

Terry Cuntkind: If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.

Haddonfield, NJ: I've found myself in many arguments defending your books against 'fans' who say they used to like your books but no longer do to the extent that they used to. Would you mind settling some debates by answering the Question: What, if anything do you have to say to the people that voice the opinion that you're latest four books haven't been as good as the previous four and call them "too preachy"?

Turdy Cuntkind: Don't be fooled. The assertion made by these detractors is a note wrapped around a brick thrown through the window. These people are not fans. There are hundreds if not thousands of fantasy books that fulfill their professed taste in books. Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good -much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them.

While I can admire a guy who has a high opinion of himself, Terry Goodkind isn't this man:

Also, Terry Goodkind's favourite book of all time is Wizard's First Rule, followed by The Confessor. His favourite author is himself and he doesn't like any other fantasy authors.

I hate to be a cunt about this situation (not really), he's an author I thought I should still like because of my teen years - but I can't find anything redeeming about him, and I feel like it was a mistake to ever be a fan.

I probably repeated something similar to this quote of his back in the day, thinking I was "owning" people in arguments. I cringe at the thought.

Terry Perfectkind: What I have done with my work has irrevocably changed the face of fantasy. In so doing I've raised the standards. I have not only injected thought into a tired empty genre, but, more importantly, I've transcended it showing what more it can be-and is so doing spread my readership to completely new groups who don't like and wont ready typical fantasy. Agents and editors are screaming for more books like mine"

Oh well,