The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Since I don't like the Grammy Nominations, here are my favourite songs of 2020

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #172408  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:33 pm
In no particular order. Keeping it to one song per artist, but I Miss Anthropocene and After Hours are both albums I can listen to top to bottom any day of the week.

While I always liked Miley Cyrus's image, even when people were bashing her left and right, this is the first time I've liked her music. She takes some definite inspiration from Debbie Harry (Blondie) and Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac).

I've been a big fan of Grimes ever since her 2015 album Art Angels. I was first introduced to her by my wife, who was a fan years earlier than that. Grimes, who is signed to the legendary Shoegaze label 4AD, began with a very shoegaze/synth sound, and has since moved more into the synthpop realm, and has been bringing in industrial sounds. As a fan of 90s music, I really appreciate all of this. She has so many songs on this album that I like, but I think My Name is Dark is the most interesting - even if not the most accessible (that's probably Violence). I also really like her homemade video, even if she had to censor all the Neon Genesis stuff in it. This is my personal favourite song of the year.

Megan Thee Stallion is correctly nominated as the breakthrough artist of the year, but they just took her safest songs (like that one she did with Beyonce that will probably win) rather than what made her a hit - her dirty songs. I will not post WAP here, but bitch is a fairly good song to show how tight she is (lyrically). People are really only freaking out because she's a woman doing this stuff, rappers like Eazy E and Too Short had been doing that type of music since the 1980s - speaking of Eazy, Megan has a song from 2020 called Girls in the Hood. This one, bitch, is fairly clean, relatively:

Yeah, I lied, but this is definite NSFW assuming you're not working from your spare room. By putting Savage on the list, they're essentially pretending that they're nominating this song, which is the one that made the.... splash =D

This was the biggest robbery of the Grammies. Blinding Lights was the biggest song of the year all around the world. It's also one of the most successful singles in history. And in my opinion, an amazing song. They didn't even give it a nomination for best video. There weren't a lot of good male artists this year in general, which is kind of crazy why Weeknd wasn't a shoe in at the grammies. There are male artists, but they're Justin Bieber, ballad groups, and K-pop. I think it's ludicrous that Weeknd didn't get a single nomination, especially when he released one of the most compelling albums in years.
 #172409  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:10 pm
Of songs nominated for something at this year's Grammy Awards, here are some that I think are... fine?

Doja Cat, this song could have come out any year since 1981. Blondie's Repture is basically the same sort of take on Good Times. Not exactly the same, but they could easily mashup almost seamlessly. Anyway, this song is nominated for "Record of the Year" - which I guess is different from song of the year:

For comparison's sake:

Thinking about it, 80s revival is really huge in 2020, Dua Lipa's Physical is a decent song, in my opinion, the winner will be this song or Savage. This feels like the only legit challenger, as Billie Eilish and Taylor Swift's songs are weak as fuck. But, this is up against Beyonce's Black Parade, which I think is much weaker than her song with Megan Thee Stallion Savage, that got nominated for Record of the year. In my opinion, this will win Song of the Year

Here is Savage, since I brought it up like 4 times. It's nominated for record of the year, and I think it will win. I like the beat, but I think Megan Thee Stallion has better songs in 2020.

Here's the heaviest song in the Rock category. All the rock sounds like Shoegaze era alternative. My issue is that it's all been done better before.

For comparison's sake, let's look back at 1991, For Love, by Lush - IMO much better