The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• South Park: Post Covid (film and future of South Park)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #172939  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:01 am
As a bit of information on what's happening with South Park. Back in August, Matt and Trey signed a deal for 900 million dollars to produce 14 feature films and 6 seasons. While the next season hasn't yet been confirmed, we have Post Covid which has released, and one other film which will be releasing this month (December).

This is the first of two "feature films" - they're more like slightly longer specials - that will air this year, the next one is coming out this month.

As some details on the film "Post Covid" without spoiling anything beyond the first 1-2 minutes.
* It takes place 40 years in the future, they're all 50 now. Which is around the age of Matt (50) and Trey (52)
* The tone is more dramatic than anything outside of season 14 and 15 (2010 and 2011) which featured episodes like You're Getting Old and the Kenny subplot in the Coon and Friends miniseries.
* The gore and cartoonishness is there.
* I guess cynical Stan kind of makes a return in this episode.
* There are a couple of gags, one is making fun of reminders that it's the future, and the other is Stan's wife Alexa (this one kind of evolves a bit, so I won't go into many details other than he keeps commanding her to do things).
* Their voices are all changed - Kyle, for example, now has his father's voice.
* Speaking of "You're getting old" which was made 10 years ago when they were 40 and 42, it was kind of like their midlife crisis episode. This one has a similar sort of midlife crisis type inspiration which Trey says that it feels like they can't get back to doing something different each week.

"People were supposed to become kinder in the future" - as a line that doesn't really connect with the plot, but feels more like something Matt and Trey just slipped in. So they're kind of cynical about where things are going.

Here are some interesting bits from this recent interview: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235036882/

On the last few years
“We’re at where a lot of people are at, which is the future kind of sucks,” Stone says. “We would like to get back to where each week we can do something totally different. We tried to experiment with serialization. That had mixed results. And the past five or six years have been dominated by Trump, being political and the tonal change of society. And then the pandemic. We don’t want everything to be about the pandemic, but that is what is going on.”

On their studio closing down last year
“That energy of closing a show, I think that is something we are trying to figure out remotely,” says Stone. “I remember one of those specials last year, Trey and I were never in the same room at one time. I was in New York and Trey was in L.A. We had our systems up and saw each other for two days straight on video. It was cool — but it was lonely. It was that weird, lonely feeling of something with people on video. The technical part is fine. It is the human part that we are still trying to figure out.” For the moment, the plan is for a portion of the South Park crew to return to the studio part-time in January to work on the new season, Stone explains.

On the film
“It’s the boys dealing with a post-COVID world. They’re just trying to get back to normal,” Parker says, being careful not to let too much slip. “So, it is like our show. We’re just trying to get back to normal.” A second made-for-TV film will arrive in December.

On the deal
“With Viacom, we realized we could make them as long or as short as we needed,” Parker says of the upcoming projects. “And they then went and called them movies. They are the ones who said we are giving them 14 movies in seven years. All I can say is for me, personally, I am 52 years old, I have made three movies in my life. So you do the math.”

Adds Stone, “We’re trying to make what’s on Paramount+ different from anywhere else, so hourlong made-for-TV movies is where our head is at. We’ll do two made-for-TV movies every year. They will be big, but they are not quite movie scale.”

For the moment, the South Park crew is creating and producing remotely as their Marina del Rey studio remains closed due to the pandemic. The technology kinks have been ironed out via the Comedy Central specials, but Parker and Stone agree that the gang not working together in the same space takes a toll.

On what to expect for the next few years
“We are kind of trapped talking about larger issues,” Stone says. “As far as the pandemic, we all are going through something. So maybe with this new setup, we can kind of do both. We can go do our quick series pop songs, but also our movies of the week.”
 #172942  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:50 am
I fucking loved that part, and loved the fucking part.
“You like how Abraham almost sacrificed his only son?”

I’m still entirely unsure if Cartman is living an honest life or just fucking with Kyle. On one hand he at least used to be a sociopath, he pretended J-Lo possessed his hand and his hand began dating Ben Affleck, just to mess with Kyle; and, if you ever watched the Fargo series there’s a character who does something similar—he gets married, gets a career, all because he’s on a job to extract some information about an estate worth millions, and at the end he blows it all by shooting his wife and colleagues on a whim to prove he’s still as cold as ice. On the other hand, if he’s being honest, it sets up a great conflict for Cartman liking his current life and doing all he can to stop them from altering the timeline. Or maybe both things are happening?

Another possibility is that Cartman’s family are a bunch of bots like Alexa.

This episode is immediately rewatchable as well because of all the foreshadowing. A second time through, you know what it’s all about and so you understand why everything happens rather than wondering “why did Stan freak out in church and call everyone stupid hicks?”

Speaking of which, It’s even clearer just how incredibly self-centered Stan and Kyle have become. Both of them are assuming everything is about them.
 #172943  by Eric
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:41 pm
I hate even typing this,

but they say that "Living a Good Life Is the Best Revenge." XD XD XD

Yes, Cartman is petty enough to marry a good jewish woman and raise a family just to fuck with Kyle.
 #172957  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:51 am
Well, we were wrong about Cartman, kind of sad how that turned out.
Loved the episode, though.

Between that and The Witcher, it's been a good week for TV.

Also, they got Butters (Vik Chaos) right using all the sales lines. NFTs are basically Avon for men.
 #172958  by Eric
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:16 pm
That I actually felt sympathy for Cartman is amazing.

He's a terrible person but the special kinda put it into context, in order for Cartman to have a bright future, his friendship has to end with the others. In order for the others to have a good future, Cartman has to end up a homeless bum lol.