The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Physical (TV Show starring Rose Byrne)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #173052  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:15 pm
I thought this would be a girly show, and while it does deal with a lot women stuff, it’s funny as fuck like Bridesmaids with a bit of a GTA Vice City vibe. It’s a dark comedy, so it won’t be for everyone, but I was laughing my ass off through most of first episode.

It takes place in early 1980s California, Sheila (Rose Byrne) is coping with the cusp of middle age. There is a lot of internal monologue, and it’s far more cynical and foul mouthed than her speaking voice.

The word “Physical” is, of course, a reference to the Olivia Newton John aerobics song, and that Jane Fonda scene. The theme immediately made me think this might be kind of like Glow, but it’s much more comedic and gutsy than that show—there’s a lot more drug and physical comedy (like Bridesmaids, she’s not afraid to get gross).

One of the characters is acted by Ashley Liao, who played Lola in Fuller House. She’s twenty now and plays a student of Sheila’s husband - who she flirts with and worships.

The show deals with mental illness in a very dark humorous manner. Also, drug use in a humorous manner - this is where it differs heavily from Glow that brushes these sorts of issues with a much more serious brush.

Also, tons of upbeat 80s new wave, funk, new romantic, synth, house, and post-disco music… although it doesn’t quite stick to the period, the show takes place on 1981 but has music from as late as 1987 stuck into it (like Exposé’s Point of No Return) It’s not a negative, as they’re throwing on a lot of really cool sounding songs that aren’t overplayed. Although, there is Olivia Newton John and Flock of Seagulls in there.

I’m just hoping that they tap Berlin for some of their less notable tracks - they’re best known for Take My Breath Away, but they also had the sexually charged 1982 album Pleasure Victim, which was a much more fun and fast paced album.

Anyway, before I go too far off topic. I’m really liking the show. It’s another Apple+ original.
 #173066  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:22 pm
A few more episodes in, it’s more like Bridesmaids meets Slums of Beverly Hills. This is one of my favourite shows streaming at the moment. The second season is currently in progress.

I never liked TV all that much before, at least compared to films and video games. Lately, I’m really digging TV shows.