The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Xenosaga Episode 3 vs Final Fantasy 12

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #103432  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:03 pm
I am just going to focus on the story here. As far as the world goes, the world of Xenosaga (episode 3) is more or less a linear type thing on the lines of Final Fantasy 10; it is not the vast, expansive, and populous world that is Final Fantasy 12. Though, Xenosaga does have a significant amount more voice acting in it than either FF10 or FF12.

Though when you get to the story of Xenosaga Episode 3, there really is no comparison. It is far and beyond anything seen in a PS2 RPG. Also perhaps the most dramatic ending ever put in an RPG (except perhaps that of Final Fantasy 8 which was just absolutely excellent). Jin Uzuki gets perhaps the best Heroes treatment of anyone in RPG history, I cannot think of anyone better.

One thing about Xenosaga episode 3 is that it actually does explain the references made in the game; such as Jungian psychology (the collective unconsciousness) and biblical references. I may not be remembering quite clearly, but I do think that the first two volumes had the issue of not explaining this stuff; though as I said, I might be remembering incorrectly. The encyclopedia in Xenosaga Episode 3 is quite large.

Overall, as a game, FF12 is probably the better game. Though plotwise, nothing on PS2 touches Xenosaga Episode 3.