The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The true value of E for All

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #112125  by Zeus
 Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:12 pm
E for All SHOULD be the biggest thing for the industry, once they get their collective heads out of their asses and realize what the true value of this really is

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... 3&Itemid=2

I was actually having this argument with my bud at Ubisoft (he's a game designer, not a marketing guy - designed the Tower level in R6: Vegas - but I wanted to know what the industry thought). His answer was the expected "it's too expensive/not worth it" or "it's just a hype fest, things get lost" which he says is prevelant in the industry (and why E3 was destroyed). Makes sense based on all the articles I've read.

But the real value of something like this is for the industry to have direct contact with the consumer and vice versa. These companies THINK they know the consumer, but I really don't think they do. And games are such a hands-on experience that an open trade show for this type of products is hugely effective. They need to see/hear reactions from a wide range of audience directly. Not to mention the goodwill it causes with the consumers to go to such an event.

If anything, something like this should be held multiple times a year in different locations, not destroyed and increasing the distance between the game makers and the consumer.