The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #171549  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:46 pm
Just going through the r/CrusaderKings

-------------------------
"Who wants to break the bad news to the Emperor?"
It's also one of those games that's kind of fun to play when you have terrible traits on your character. This is something that can happen if you're an imbecile:
Caption: "Nobody fucks with the Pontifex Maxima. NOBODY."
 #171551  by kali o.
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:00 pm
I finally played Subnautica (PS4) - which is fun/unique but short. I haven't finished it yet (need to get a blue tablet) but I have successfully been down to the lava biome.

That led me to finally give No Mans Sky a shot. Compared to Subnautica, I think NMS will end up being the better game with more longevity -- but I'm still earlier in the game.

Seeks Ck2 post above means I will probably play CK2 or Stellaris (PS4) next -- got a 4x itch.
 #171552  by Shrinweck
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 am
I'm mostly playing Final Fantasy 14 right now. Patiently waiting for the Switch Lite to release so I can play Fire Emblem. Also waiting on Borderlands 3 and Trails of Cold Steel 3.

I was looking forward to Control, but it's an Epic Games Store exclusive so I might wait for a sale or a Steam release unless it gets rave reviews.
 #171554  by Oracle
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm
I've been picking away at Fire Emblem since it was released. On chapter 16 now, believe there are 18 or so. I'll definitely be doing a NG+ run, as there are some characters I didn't recruit (mostly because I didn't know at what point recruiting no longer occurs, and then didn't have enough time to boost bond levels).

Doing my first run with the Black Eagle House (Edelgard). The calendar system in the game is interesting, gives a little bit of flexibility to how and when you accomplish tasks.

I'm playing on normal/casual right now. If I had known there was a time-reverse function in battles, I would have played on classic (in classic, if a unit dies in battle they are dead forever). I find the difficulty to be fairly easy, as the main character and Edelgard can basically clear battle maps by themselves. If I can, I'll be doing NG+ on Hard.
 #171555  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm
The last Fire Emblem game I bought was Fates, although I have replayed Blazing Blade (AKA "Fire Emblem" for GBA) and Sacred Stones since Fates.

I'm a massive fan of the series, but it's had a sort of "Metroidvania" style change where a fundamental aspect of the game has changed turning it into a different kind of thing. Sacred Stones was the first one that had any significant grinding mechanic, but Awakening is where it became a mandatory element of the game.

Before Awakening, the game is at its core about strategy and story. There are RPG elements which are built around the units used in the strategy, but if your character dies, it dies. Similarly, the game is more forgiving for dead characters because it usually has someone quite powerful to replace your dead characters. You can move forward without missing a step.

Awakening and later: characters are more challenging to come by, the maps to get the child characters in Awakening are sometimes brutal, and you get 1 new character, but the chance of losing 1-3 characters is fairly high on most of them. Additionally, the game is built for grinding and character development. Instead of going onto the next map, a lot of building/customization has to be done to lower the risk of losing your new characters.

They both appeal to different sorts of desires for a game; I like both types. I loved building up my team of flyers with crazy strong weapons and immunity to most weaknesses in Fire Emblem Awakening. Similarly, I love the thrill of just mobilizing through a story without a break, and with the constant threat of loss if you become too lazy about your defensive patterns/formations, and strategy. Older Fire Emblem games require a lot more math, which IMO is a lot of fun and much more rewarding when executing; but if you don't like math, this will be annoying - newer games have quality of life changes that removes the math from the immediate engagements (but not the map as a whole, so if you want to be good, you still need to do math).

Basically:
* Sometimes I have the itch to go through a game and see how long it takes until I am either A) Wiped Out, or B) finish the game and see who has survived -- I like to make an account of who dies in the game along the way. Second, I like to move quickly through a lot of stories. This is where the earlier games shine.
* Sometimes I want to build up and customize a powerful force to go and crush any army that stands before me and move much more slowly through a story, do a lot of side quests, etc... This is where the later games shine.

I'll also note that while perma-death helps make the experience of the first type of game, it is more of an annoyance in the second type. With the first (older) type of FE, you're invested in characters almost more from a story perspective and less from a gameplay perspective (unless they're a healer) while the second game, with all the grinding and investment you put into characters it is easily a considerable time investment from a gameplay perspective.

The big difference is the first is a uniquely Fire Emblem experience, while the second is every strategy game: Final Fantasy Tactics offers a very similar sort of experience. This is why I haven't bought FE: Three Houses yet, or any other FE game since Fates. Also, the second type of Fire Emblem is much closer to classic RPGs (and I just played through FF7), so I don't have the itch for building up a powerful team right now; I just did it with Materia.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant about Fire Emblem.

I am looking forward to playing Three Houses in a few months or so.

Anyway, my multiplayer game is nearly up to 1200 AD on Crusader Kings 2. Since we kept our nations relatively small, we're considering playing Europa Universalis next.

As a snapshot of our part of the world:
(Note: This is only about a quarter of the map, to the East you'd see a vast Mongol Empire, China, and India. To the South Ghana and Byzantine Empire rule a lot of Africa, as well as a lot of smaller native African nations and native Persian nations rose up and destroyed the Caliphate... possibly the first game I've played where this has happened without my involvement ). (EDIT: Steph just pointed out that she owns the Sinai Peninsula and part of Galilee - suck it, crusaders!)
* Niflheim is played by me, and Midgard is played by Steph's (my wife).
* We may seem smallish, but that's because we built tall, building Empires and then sticking to a single duchy and focusing on trade, plunder, and dynasty building. So we had a lot of independent Kingdoms belonging to our dynasty outside our realm. Eventually, as the plan went, we established Viceroyalties (Now Viceroy Kingdoms and Duchies) and sprung off some vassals: I began with three, one in York (Jorvik), one up North (my Merchant Republic), and one in Estonia. The Merchant Republic CONQUERED Bulgaria (down North of Greece) from the Byzantine Empire and somehow and has been thriving. My Estonian vassal expanded heavily, and now I have several vassals in that region (south of the Baltic), but, unfortunately, my English vassal has not fared too well as we only own a few counties (even the Jomsvikings are doing better, I think, they're the grey ones over in Ireland aside from Midgard).
* Despite me looking tiny, and having fewer counties, I am the most powerful character in the game (see below:
* Midgard (Steph) has insane prestige because her character is a 147 year old immortal, with one leg.
* My realm has the largest army, I also have the best Duchy. With later updates to CK2, you can increase the number of holdings to a county, and I have focused heavily on that, and heavily on pouring tons of resources into developing them. My 4 county duchy puts Constantinople to shame... I raid Constantinople, Venice, and Rome for a large portion of my wealth (seriously, I now send down multiple raiding parties of 18-25K troops each on a fleet of 1000 ships), the Byzantines can only sit and watch as I take what I want. Steph meanwhile occupies herself with raiding the Iberian peninsula and the Moroccan coast, and occasionally down around Carthage and Egypt.
* Viceroyalties are good; I love to seize the titles of non-vassal members away and give them to my children. Since when a Viceroy dies, my character gets their title, every county in the Empire will be a vassal of mine at some point. If they are NOT of my dynasty, I revoke their title and give it to my nearest of kin (usually a landless child) and then throw a viceroyalty on them (so my kids are always Dukes/Duchesses or Kings/Queens).
* When we reformed the religion, we went with "Hierocratic" which means a high priest rules the religion and can call on Great Holy Wars, because playing tall, neither of us wanted control of Holy Wars. While it is great for the expansion of our religion, it hasn't been an important part of our realms, personally. Next time we're going Autonomous which means no declaration of Great Holy Wars: "Every priest will be given a chance to give his proper interpretation of the new holy text, free from any centralized authority." BUT, it allows for certain bonuses to followers (like a free +2 Stewardship, +2 Martial, etc... depending on the branch you follow); additionally, you can get exclusive traits, such as Militant which gives a bonus to personal combat skill, prestige, and a higher chance of Ambition events to fire. So for a tall game, it is far more beneficial to play Autonomous than any of the others.

Speaking of religion. Whatever I did (probably choosing Cosmopolitan as a feature) the Old Germanic faith is still thriving in Southern Scandinavia, while Reformed Germanic seems to be doing much better in the Northern areas (usually it's the other way around!) in Finland, Eastern Europe, and Central Europe. Suomenesko (the Finnish Pagan faith) is thriving in North-Western Asia, while the Slavic Paganism has been replaced, for the most part, and has only small pockets remaining. Overall we're 5th place out of 47 active religions, BUT - most of that 47 only hold about 10 provinces or so, mine (Reformed Germanic) holds 89. The top 4 religions (1. Catholic, 2. Hindu, 3. Iconoclast, 4. Sunni) all have a few hundred provinces each.

In short: basically, our vassals are doing all the expansion while Steph and I just have these MASSIVE armies that we raid with and stave off invasions with. Sometimes Adventurers declare war, but they're quickly defeated. The Catholics have declared a few crusades against us, but we made quick work of them (usually we launch a massive attack to eviscerate Italy the moment the crusade begins then send our troops Northward to help the others destroy the Catholic armies... One war was a little rough, so we split our forces and had one destroying Italy while the other defended Germany). The last crusade declared on us was weakly supported, and they seemed to have called it off before it even started.
 #171566  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:04 am
I've put down CK2 for the next 2 months or so, but we will continue this campaign (assuming Paradox doesn't update the game and mess up the save). I've become a little busy with the upcoming Canadian Federal Election and I am crunching data for two of the campaigns.

I've picked up Final Fantasy 8 Remake, and played a little of that... and spent a while exploring the Garden, the campus network... There are so many little things in this game that I never found in any of my previous playthroughs.

Before Selfie starts her blog up (note this game was made before blogs were a thing) there's a forum with a bunch of anonymous posters flaming each other, but their names give hints as to their actual identities, some are blatant like Z.D. (Zell). Most people skip the Garden stuff, but in this game as events occur the Garden evolves, people say different things, the network updates, and many little details change. Some people die, some new students enroll, and others leave. I've never taken a deep dive into this feature, but I think I will this time around.

The graphics are a lot nicer to look at. Due to the far greater detail in FF8 compared to 7 and 9, it feels like the upgrade took the graphics substantially ahead of the other two games.

Anyway, I picked up Final Fantasy 7 again to finish off before I just into Final Fantasy 8. I think I am still ~10 hours from the end (at the Cloud = comatose past, just picking up all the extras I missed since I got Yuffie much earlier than usual the story-order is a little fucked).

While playing FF7 is one thing, FF8 is definitely more my type of game... FF9 is one of those games I really WISH was the one I liked the most, but I find it's a lot slower and less interesting than most other FF games; also, I am not a big fan of the lack of customizability on the characters. Were I to rank the games in that regard (based on how much fun I have with the game, not necessarily how objectively great they are):
FF8
FF1
FF6
FFX
FF3
FF12 (maybe tied with FF3, I enjoy it but find it takes a most of the game before you've unlocked enough to make customization enjoyable, and the game is SLOW after the first 5 hours or so)
While, FF4, FF9, FF13, and FF2 were really bland in this regard - though each of those games made up for it in different ways (Except FF2, that game is like a bad version of Final Fantasy Legend).

Anyway, I'm off the rails.

Other games I've just picked up are Super Mario World and Super Ghouls and Ghosts (because I like punishment). I was really able to immerse myself into the Mario World experience when playing it yesterday, and enjoyed it more than I can recall since my childhood. I haven't done much, only the first world, unlocking everything. The level design is really fantastic. I am hoping to play Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 again soon; DKC trilogy is another one of my favourites but I have played those far more than any other 16-bit platformer in recent years.

On Super Ghouls and Ghosts I went through the first 2 levels, and only needed to abuse the Rewind function about 70 times; it's a lot of fun, but I find it's more fun playing these insane difficulty games in 20 second or so increments rather than 5 minute increments; I don't have the time to master 4 minutes of hell just to get through a 2-3 second portion of the game that is insanely difficult, it's better to have a spot saved just before that and try and fail 8 times in a few minutes instead of spending 3 hours mastering most of the level to get past that one section... especially if there is another similarly difficult location just a bit further... then another, and another, and so-on. How did we have the patients for these games as kids?

Super Mario World is easy and the levels are much shorter than Super Ghouls and Ghosts, no rewind required. It's still fun though, but it's one of the easiest platformers I have played in recent times (The DKC games and Sonic 2 are much more difficult; Sonic 1 and 3 are of similar difficulty to Mario World, Sonic 1 might even be easier, but still fun!)

Anyway, in short:
* Final Fantasy 7, then Final Fantasy 8, then Breath of Fire 1 (though I might do this at the same time as FF7 and FF8 since it's a different sort of an RPG which has much shorter play sessions).
* Super Mario World
* Super Ghouls and Ghosts (with heavy Rewind function abuse)

Crusader Kings 2 on hold for now, though potentially dipping into it on Sundays since both Steph and I are busy 6 days a week, and this game needs both of us availavble for no less than 4 hours at a time.
 #171568  by kali o.
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 pm
Played Greedfall (Ps4). It has flaws, no doubt, but has been pretty enjoyable overall. Probably worthy of at least two playthroughs. Would I recommend it? Hesitantly and maybe wait for a sale.

In between that, I am playing the MHW expansion Iceborne. If you like MHW, you'll like Iceborne. The new monsters are hyper aggressive, so you'll have to likely change your playstyle, and the progression (gear) is quite slow. I haven't made it to the new end game yet, but I am hearing good things.
 #171572  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:48 am
So... this is a bit of a weird toss-up of games. I’m not really focused on one game at the moment.
The ones I spend the most time on are:
1. Final Fantasy 7 - which I am approaching the end on, and mostly just cleaning up the remaining extras.
2. Final Fantasy 8 - I am playing a lot of cards, but haven’t really jumped into the story too deep yet. I’m about 8 hours in or so and haven’t left the Balamb Garden area. This game DOES have way more extras and extra content than any other Final Fantasy game, though.
3. Final Fantasy X - Only a few hours in, this is my favourite FF game that I haven’t played a lot of... the HD version also comes with a lot of additional content, while it was something like $30 for an older game, the price is minuscule for the content and quality of the game.

I am also playing a lot of NES and SNES games on the side. Super Mario World is probably the main one of these. I’ve been unlocking a lot of extra content, but currently I’m in the Forest of Illusion, which is my favourite world of the game (well, except Star Road). I also played through nearly all of Breath of Fire 1 which is one of my favourite mediocre RPGs of all time.

Once in a while I play Mario Kart 8 multiplayer when I bump into friends with Switches.

I have been stocking up on indie games when they have a 85%+ sale on, but I have a backlog, so there’s still a lot to get to. The last one I played was this 911 Emergency game for something around 50 cents to 2 dollars, it was interesting for about 15 minutes or so.

Of major new games: Dragon Quest 11 S, Nino Kuni, Fire Emblem 3 Houses are the three I am looking at, but will probably hold off on them because the FF games I’m playing are more than I need for RPGs at the moment.

I am seriously considering picking up Romancing Saga 2. I haven’t played it yet, but I am a fan of the SaGa series, Final Fantasy Legend 2 was my favourite RPG for years when I was a kid.
 #171573  by Oracle
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 pm
Fire Emblem

3rd playthrough

That is all.
 #171574  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 am
Oracle wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 pm
Fire Emblem

3rd playthrough

That is all.
:o

Maybe I shouldn’t put this one off any longer than this year.
 #171575  by Oracle
 Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:38 pm
Just a lot of replayability as there are essentially 4 possible paths to take, and the major fork occurs about mid-way through the game.

The new difficulty (maddening) actually makes me have to think in battles now, which is nice, but also kind of annoying since this is my 3rd time through the game.

I hear there is another difficulty coming out. Will likely skip that.
 #171576  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:20 am
Oracle wrote:
Just a lot of replayability as there are essentially 4 possible paths to take, and the major fork occurs about mid-way through the game.

The new difficulty (maddening) actually makes me have to think in battles now, which is nice, but also kind of annoying since this is my 3rd time through the game.

Haha, yeah, Fire Emblem is the only series I play that way. “Let’s see how much THIS difficulty will kick my ass.”

Although, I’m probably going to play with permadeath off because I don’t trust the stage-design balancing in FE games anymore. There was a major shift with Fates and Awakening to put in WAY more trigger events which; if playing with permadeath on, the game (Awakening/Fates) became one of a trial and error instead of strategic problem solving with consequences for poor choices (pre-Awakening FE games). Not particularly fun, in my opinion. Turning Permadeath off takes the emphasis off the strategy and puts it on the RPG mechanics.

I’ll add that the latter FE games are a lot of fun to play for character development. A different focus than the strategy + plot narrative of the older games.
 #171578  by Oracle
 Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:48 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:20 am
Oracle wrote:

Haha, yeah, Fire Emblem is the only series I play that way. “Let’s see how much THIS difficulty will kick my ass.”

Although, I’m probably going to play with permadeath off because I don’t trust the stage-design balancing in FE games anymore. There was a major shift with Fates and Awakening to put in WAY more trigger events which; if playing with permadeath on, the game (Awakening/Fates) became one of a trial and error instead of strategic problem solving with consequences for poor choices (pre-Awakening FE games). Not particularly fun, in my opinion. Turning Permadeath off takes the emphasis off the strategy and puts it on the RPG mechanics.

I’ll add that the latter FE games are a lot of fun to play for character development. A different focus than the strategy + plot narrative of the older games.
I would keep perma-death on. There is a feature after the first several battles that allows you to time-rewind in a battle. You can eventually get that up to about 10 charges of use per battle. I originally played on Normal/Casual, but found I was not losing units at all. Even on Maddening I'm playing Classic - the risk of perma-death is really the only thing that makes it a challenge. If I could just go into every battle and not worry about characters dying, it would still be really easy.
 #171579  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 pm
What I really want to do is avoid trial and error. One play through, every move counts. No redos. It puts the pressure on with every choice.

But my issue with FE Awakening was that most deaths are simply due to unpredictable surprises, like “you went to a map that is meant for higher level players, good luck beating this paralogue without losing 6 units.” I don’t dislike later Fire Emblem games, but the permadeath seems more like a vestigial feature that fundamentally turns the newer games from RPGs into trial and error games.

The older games were strategy focused, you took units into battle, you’d occasionally be faced with a life and death situation. And occasionally it would take some deliberation and then some reassessments of the situation and you go, die or survive. The game is balanced in such a way that death won’t screw you as the game is designed for characters to be expendable.

The newer games changed the formula, put WAY more emphasis on building. It’s to the point where if you lose any character it’s devastating. With permadeath on it’s almost foolish NOT to scum the system. The game effectively becomes a trial and error game. If the rewind feature is what I think, it sounds like a less harsh trial & error, but still trial & error.

So permadeath off, then the game is just an RPG.

In short, I only want to play levels once (unless I am going back for levels), no redoing anything. And certainly no redoing level ups.
 #171583  by kali o.
 Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:31 pm
Playing Kenshi (steam), which is ridiculously fun if it sounds like your kinda game. That's the end of my review -- I need to get back to Kenshi.
 #171608  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:12 am
I'm bouncing back and forth between FF7, 8, X and playing a new game called Ring Fit Adventure.

Ring Fit Adventure is essentially the update to Wii Fit. They lost the balance board, but the leg strap + joy con seems to do everything the Balance board did and more since it can accurately measure what you're doing with your legs. Another improvement is the resistance ring which can measure what your hands and arms are doing.
A hidden feature of the Joycon is that it can actually measure your pulse, it looks like they stuck some of that vitality sensor tech inside of it.

Activities are in Ring Fit involve games (like the balance games in Wii Fit), and exercizes. Routines are more geared toward cardio than they were in Wii Fit, but there's a lot of strength related exercizes too. You're moving almost constantly between exercizes since you're either running on the spot or doing squats as you're running through the world, this is to maintain heart-rate. I suppose I should mention it is an RPG!

The RPG mechanics are simple, you have a bunch of exercises that are tied to various colours, so a yellow exercise is extra effective against yellow enemies, red against red enemies, etc... Additionally, some target a single enemy and others target multiple enemies - usually the single enemy moves are much stronger. After using a move, it has a cooldown period. There are also buffs, healing, debuffs, and other such effects. Difficulty can be adjusted, what it does is changes the reps and intensity of the resistance requirements, and it might require more precise form (I am not sure). Either way, this game has kicked my ass a few times, and I exercise regularly. One thing I particularly like is that the resistance ring is great for core exercizes (which I often ignore) and the game targets muscles I tend to forget about - I actually had sore muscles after the first few days because in all my routines there are clearly some muscles I kept missing. Other mechanics are equipment (in the form of clothing) which boost stats and give bonuses around certain elemental attacks (well, colours). There are also potions and crafting as well. The RPG mechanics are fairly simple overall, but they have a bit of a Mario RPG vibe to them.

I'd say it's a cross between EA Sports Active (though not bland like that game) and Wii Fit, but an improvement on both in terms of exercise and game mechanics. EA Sports Active was superior to Wii Fit in terms of overall cardio, because it was an actual solid exercise camp where you kept your heart rate up with running between exercising and resistance bands for some good muscle training. Where EA Sports Active failed compared to Wii Fit is the lack of diversity in the exercises, a bland approach to a fitness game, and ran on the honour system for some exericses rather than actually measuring effectively what the user was doing. Wii Fit measured better, had more entertaining games, but lacked resistance equipment and also didn't keep your heart rate up.

Ring Fit Adventure uses superior tech, it does the same running to exercise to running, etc... but changes up some of in between exercises to some core stuff; so, in respect to working out Ring Fit is superior. Additionally, the Resistance ring is far superior to the resistance bands since it allows for far more versatile exercizes, and you don't have to worry about snapping yourself! Additionally, the games are more gamey than Wii Fit, and much more entertaining. So I suppose what I am saying: Ring Fit is Wii Fit + EA Sports Active rolled into one and improved upon. The Adventure mode is substantial

Anyway, enough of my blathering, these video covers the early game basics and what to expect in the first 2 or 3 worlds (there's 20):

One other feature, if it's late at night and you have people you don't want to wake up, there's a quiet-mode which replaces the louder exercizes with quieter ones - for example, instead of running on the spot to move you do squats.

Anyway. In other games:

Final Fantasy 7 - I am at the end, just cleaning up extras now before heading into the crater to f^%# Sephiroth up. I forgot how much less fun the second half of this game is from the first half. This is not due to necessarily bad story stuff, just REALLY bad pacing: some areas are very wide and slow going (like the city of the ancients), and then other areas give you big information dumps (like Squall's dream in Mideel where you discover how he lied about being in SOLDIER and such). I just got past Rufus getting killed when Diamond Weapon attacked... yes, I know he came back alive as a torched up cripple for Advent Children, but in the game he is clearly intended to be dead.

Final Fantasy 8 - I am holding off on doing too much in this game. I basically just went through and did the SeeD exam stuff (everything up to the Timber Mission after the Attack on Dollet). I did this so I can play the card game on my spare time and have a cash income. Also some light AP farming if I'm really bored.

Final Fantasy X - I'm past Operation Mihan and Guadosalam and am now getting a start on the Thunder Plains. That means, past Djose Temple, Operation Mihen, and the Moonflow (Shoopuff ride). This game is really fun, but
 #171609  by Oracle
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 pm
Disco Elysium is now on the back-burner for The Outer Worlds on PC.... stupid Eric :p

I'm just about to head to Tartarus, if that means anything to anyone who may be playing. On level 26ish.

My review: Fallout 4 in space. Play it :p
 #171610  by Eric
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:51 pm
Oracle wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 pm
Disco Elysium is now on the back-burner for The Outer Worlds on PC.... stupid Eric :p

I'm just about to head to Tartarus, if that means anything to anyone who may be playing. On level 26ish.

My review: Fallout 4 in space. Play it :p
It's what I do. :^)
 #171611  by kali o.
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 am
The Outer Worlds was good - easily warrants two playthroughs. However -- it feels about 10 hours shorter than it should be and the ending "mission" is rather poorly set up.
 #171612  by Eric
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 pm
Obsidian didn't have that sweet Microsoft money at the time of development, so maybe that explains the length. They still made a gem of a game though, I look forward to seeing what they can craft if Microsoft(Hopefully) supports them like Sony supports their 1st party studios.
 #171613  by Oracle
 Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:52 am
So, finished :p I like that I got to play the game for $1 via Xbox Game Pass for PC. Time to see what else is on here.
 #171614  by kali o.
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:11 pm
Ok, so I found this game (Pathfinder Kingmaker) on steam. Why have none of you, more frequently on steam, talked about this game?

I dare say the game is actually superior to BG2, in many ways, and Im shocked this game wasnt more hyped. One of the best games Ive played in years.

I searched reviews to see how I missed this and it got hammered when released (IGN gave it like a 6). I dont know if it launched in a broken state or something...

If you like isometric rpgs based on d & d mechanics (3.5?), then get this game immediately. 100 hours easy.
 #171615  by Oracle
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 pm
kali o. wrote:Ok, so I found this game (Pathfinder Kingmaker) on steam. Why have none of you, more frequently on steam, talked about this game?

I dare say the game is actually superior to BG2, in many ways, and Im shocked this game wasnt more hyped. One of the best games Ive played in years.

I searched reviews to see how I missed this and it got hammered when released (IGN gave it like a 6). I dont know if it launched in a broken state or something...

If you like isometric rpgs based on d & d mechanics (3.5?), then get this game immediately. 100 hours easy.
This has been on my wishlist on steam for a while. I went really hard on the iso-RPGs last year, so was hesitant to start up another one. I'll have to maybe take a look after I'm done my second playthrough of The Outer Worlds.
 #171617  by kali o.
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:39 pm
Oracle wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 pm
This has been on my wishlist on steam for a while. I went really hard on the iso-RPGs last year, so was hesitant to start up another one. I'll have to maybe take a look after I'm done my second playthrough of The Outer Worlds.
It's definitely worthwhile and I can't recommend it enough. A word of caution though -- "Normal Difficulty" is normal if you understand 3.5 rules (such as how to build properly [eg. Charisma applies to Sorc DCs] and the internal complexities such as acid/fire kills trolls, how cold iron/adamantine/silver bypass DR, keen expands threat range, etc). If the previous bit sounds greek, easy is a better choice for a first run.
 #171647  by kali o.
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:10 pm
So I finished my first playthough for Pathfinder (100+ hours, Chaotic Good rogue). Still highly recommend. Gonna playthough again, probably as an evil monk, this time I will create my own companions (as I will likely expel or kill the story ones).
 #171651  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:37 pm
Still playing FF7, 8, and X.

I’m finding FF7 really hasn’t aged as well as the other two gameplay-wise. Story and character-wise, FF7 still close to top-notch. The main issue with FF7’s gameplay is how much junk is in it, much of the materia and items are worthless. Attack magic is pointless, buff/debuff magic is a waste of time: basically summon and white magic is the only useful materia... And the chocobo lure. One more gripe, the world is fairly sparse outside of Midgar. Most towns are 1 to 2 screens without many people (Junon Harbour, Gold Saucer, and Cosmo Valley are exceptions) and I wish many were larger than they are (Costa Del Sol for one, the Winter place for another). I don’t mean to bash FF7, despite its flaws, the game is still quite a lot of fun to play.

Though, FF7’s gameplay still tops FF9s. FF9 has a really crappy system for acquiring skills by forcing players to equip bad equipment and grind out skills: it’s like a bad version of FF6’S Magic system.

FF8 has A LOT of tinkering with it, but it’s easy to to and rewarding. I am a big fan of the junction system, but it is huge, and linked in systems around it are a beast unlike anything seen in an FF game, it’s more like something you’d expect out of a European or North American RPG prior to 2010 at least - games like Xenoblade also have beastly huge systems these days. One area where this game stands out far above the others is the world. The locations are more interesting than FF7 and X, and it feels like there’s more going on within them. Cities are not only more numerous, but larger in FF8 than the other two.

I’ll note that both FFX and FF8 feel more like societies, while FF7 feels more like locations with random independent people hanging around for the most part. Both FF8 and FFX have ongoing NPC interactions. In FF8 most of this occurs within Balkan Garden. FFX improves on this by having groups of people on parallel journeys with the characters, so you see Shelinda, Clasko, and others popping up at several locations you meet.

FFX has the best battle gameplay of any FF game... IMO. Unfortunately the limit breaks are crap: the mini games the player has to do for each one feel more intrusive than anything. The sphere Grid is an interesting way to advance stats and is an adventure in itself.

FFX’s equipment feels a bit like GF skills meets materia. Like materia, weapons have 1 or more slots you can slide abilities into. Instead of something like Longsword gives +24 to attack, FFX is a basic “Sword” that might have 4 slots, you could put in Str +3%, Str +5%, and Str +10%, and a lightning elemental attack, and then the game will generate a name for your sword like “Odin Blade” or something.

FFX has a lot of tinkering too. Not as much as FF8, but significantly more than other (non-FF8) FF games.

All this stuff is obvious, but it’s interesting seeing how these games all compare up when played simultaneously. And it may sound like I dislike FF7 considerably compared to FF8 and FFX, but that’s only the gameplay part. As a story to move through, FF7 is up there. The early game Sephiroth introduction arc (from mentions in Midgar until, the bloody slaughter at the lab, and the flashback showing Sephiroth’s significantly higher power, and the going insane and slaughtering Nibelheim, and finally the moment the player sees the impaled Zolom) is unmatched in the entire franchise. And it’s not just that introduction, it feeds into other parts of the game right up until it shows that Cloud wasn’t actually a SOLDIER, but Cloud DID kill Sephiroth.

I’ll also note that the Vivi story that gets so much praise in FF9 is actually more or less a weakly retold version of Sephiroth. I’m going to do the asshole thing and say the much-loved FF9 character Vivi is overrated in light of FF7 doing it so much better. FF9’s cast are shallow at best - and being shiny happy people without character flaws is not “good character design,” it’s boring. I’ll take stuck up Squall, emo Cloud, and “you should probably stop laughing” embarrassing moment Tidus any day of the week over “my dark secret never bothers me, it’s just a cool fact” Zidane.

Granted FF9 is not all bad, it has some interesting locations to visit and wander around. It also has pretty graphics. It’s mostly bad in that it’s lacking in depth, emotionally, in its story, and in its gameplay. For many people that’s enough. It’s going to be a more enjoyable game to many people than the other FF games: it does NOT surprise me that so many FF9 fans hate FF8 and FFX. But I think the reverse is true... I don’t hate FF9, but I keep thinking I’ll like it if I just try it one more time. But no... For me, it’s usually when I get to the Eiko village I immediately lose all interest in playing the game a moment further. After that long uneventful moment is the long uneventful Lifa Tree dungeon before being thrown into one of the most anemic regions in an RPG of the PlayStation era.

Now I’m just ranting, so I’ll end my post here.
 #171676  by Oracle
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:49 pm
kali o. wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:10 pm
So I finished my first playthough for Pathfinder (100+ hours, Chaotic Good rogue). Still highly recommend. Gonna playthough again, probably as an evil monk, this time I will create my own companions (as I will likely expel or kill the story ones).
So, I'm super slow at this game. I tend to get too caught up with kingdom micro-management.

Fun game, will likely do a couple play-throughs. Especially since I made a Chaotic Good Arcane Trickster and then found out you recruit a.... Chaotic Good Arcane Trickster (doesn't make sense to spec her any other way).... Oh well.

I'm totally using character build guides for all characters. I just remember how easy it is to absolutely F-up a DnD character if you don't have a build path in mind. I spend enough time micro-managing the game - at level up time, I just wanna assign the level up stats and move on. Although blindly following this TSS/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple build I found for Valerie may prove to be a mistake, simply because she takes a lot of micro-management and prep buffing to be a good tank.
 #171681  by Oracle
 Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 pm
So I finished Pathfinder. I also put in 100+ hours.... much, much more (although a lot of time churn was from idling).

Great game, not a huge fan of the, for lack of a better term, 'conversation gates' that are required to get certain companion outcomes, or even endings. I believe I missed out on being able to trigger the 'secret ending' by one conversation mess-up, on a skill check I failed. Had I known its implications, I would have re-loaded until I passed the check (I believe I missed the check with an extremely unlucky roll, like below 3), even though my score in that skill was quite high.

I found the difficulty level to be wildly inconsistent. I would steam-roll late-game battles, but then you get to the last place, and it's at a completely different level. Not to say it was too hard, but I actually had to think about battle strategy. Would have been nice if that was more of a necessity on the 'normal' difficulty. For my playthrough, once I got Nok-Nok and both him and Valerie with Outflank, battles generally consisted of those two running in an gibbing most enemies before the casters could land a spell.

I would have liked to do the DLC, but I got too far into it before realizing what the DLC consisted of, and I'm not going to spend the money to go back and do it. This is likely a 1-playthrough game for me. I just bugger around with items and kingdom management too much, I can't help it. Perhaps I'll circle around to the game again, but by that time, a sequel (if there is one) will be out by then, or they next great CRPG will be available. If I do another playthrough, I may try with automated kingdom management, although I hear that makes it pretty tough to get specific story outcomes.

Anyway, good game, took up way too much of my life, and I recommend it if you're a Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights/Divinity Original Sin/Pillars of Eternity fan like myself.
 #171682  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm
I got Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest 11, both on Switch. I'll probably be playing them in the coming months (I have not made much progress on the Final Fantasy games as I haven't played many games in the past month or so).
 #171689  by kali o.
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 pm
Oracle wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 pm
So I finished Pathfinder. I also put in 100+ hours.... much, much more (although a lot of time churn was from idling).

Great game, not a huge fan of the, for lack of a better term, 'conversation gates' that are required to get certain companion outcomes, or even endings.
Sounds like your thoughts are similar to mine. At certain points the game can be unfair (including high rolls for convos) and yeah, difficulty can be inconsistent. It has flaws but it's a great game if that's your genre of choice. It felt authentically D&D to me and I really enjoyed the writing / VA.

For the record, I save scummed the whole game, so I don't believe I missed out on anything on the 1st playthrough. Even Valerie's duel -- I was not specced properly to win that one, but I wasn't allowing a loss...tons of consumables and dice luck got me a win...after a few hours of reloading 8) (note: changed nothing besides maybe a line of dialog).

Just finishing up Ni No Kuni 2. It's...ok. I mean, I had fun enough with it and don't regret the 30 bucks I spent (on sale w/ all dlc edition). It offers about 60 hours for the main game -- maybe 20 for the DLC. Would I recommend it? No, probably not. But its not bad.
 #171748  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:47 am
Playing The Witcher 3.

Just some quick thoughts. I like the game. While the game is compared mainly to Breath of the Wild and Skyrim, I find it is much more like Xenoblade games than either of those two (minus the party and combat system). The way the story unfolds is most like Xenoblade, the character upgrade stuff, the cinematic approach, and the way the world unfolds. Of course, the setting is a significant difference; Xenoblade Chronicles X is a pure science fiction setting. Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 are a Japanese style neo-civilization fantasy setting (old world had ultra-futuristic technology, and the current one is a renaissance level society uncovering it). The Witcher is very medieval.

The music in The Witcher 3 is akin to Japanese style RPGs like Skies of Arcadia and Dragon Quest - which I love. I also love how the game primarily lives on the surface and in buildings on the surface; I often find the underground dungeon setting to be dull. Breath of the Wild was the first Zelda game to live on the surface since about Link to the Past, while the others did have a surface world, it functioned more as a conduit between dungeons; Breath of the Wild, in contrast, lives on the surface of the world with much shorter dungeons that are more like little playgrounds (much like Link to the Past, even more so than that, but unlike earlier 3D Zelda that focused on "find the key, the switch, or the secret passage" type puzzles),

I am currently in Novigrad, a brilliant location. A lot of detail and the city is a lot of fun. I have only done a few quests here, even though I just got the quest to go to the next area. Novigrad is one of the most beautiful places, artistically, I have ever come across in any game.

I tend to play with the minimap off, but the game is not as varied as other open-world games. There also aren't many significant landmarks to go by, so often it's the moon and the sun and peaks at the world map that I navigate by. The game is also not designed to play without the minimap, so when it comes to killing lots of monsters or chase quests, I have to switch it on. The reason I play with it off is that I find myself watching the minimap as I move rather than the game itself, and I miss A TON of stuff.

Anyway, I'll probably update my thoughts a bit later
 #172063  by Oracle
 Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:29 am
So after another Kali game-name-drop in another thread, I checked out and ended playing Wasteland 3. Looked like the type of game I'd likely place once, so I played it with Xbox Gamepass on PC vs. buying it outright.

Was a nice dose of a post-apocalyptic Fallout 2 style game, with some really entertaining story concepts (love Reagan). The game definitely had it's bug challenges, and felt like it lacked polish from a story/event trigger perspective. On the flipside, the game tried to give you several options when resolving/responding to situations and dialog, so having a few outcomes feel a bit glitchy isn't hard to understand, but it still took away from the enjoyment of the game at times.

I also ran into an issue which required me to modify a save file with some editor I found online because my NPC characters kept leaving the party in disgust complaining I killed something defenseless after any battle, regardless of what I was fighting or how the battle started...

The battle system and character progression in the game was the main draw for me. While crafting was fairly limited and simple, it offered enough flavour to allow for some interesting ability/effect combos. I suggest looking into build guides, at least for you NPC characters, because you can't undo a skill/stat assignment once it's done. The really nice thing about this game, however, is that for your player-built characters (which can occupy up to 4/6 party slots), you can just discard and rebuild them as many times as you want for no cost. Only main draw back is if you ended up applying a 1-time consumable (e.g skill book, cyborg enhancement) to a player-created character, you are essentially out that consumable (which, in the case of books, there are only 1 or 2 for each skill) if you stop using that character.

Now, after a recommend from a co-worker (new guy - first person I've directly worked with in 14 years who actually games), I picked up Hades. Was torn, but ended up going for the Switch version vs. the PC (portability for this game >>> graphics).

I would say the glowing reviews I found online about this game are accurate. This is an extremely well executed game. The premise, the fluidity of battle, general writing, characters, subtle humour, progression and upgrade mechanics... it all just works well together. There's even a bit of an affinity system with the NPCs, but it's not overbearing like, for example, Xenoblade Chronicles.

What the game really is, of course, is grindy. But that feeds into it's whole premise - trying to climb through the pits of the Underworld, as you die and reincarnate after each attempt. Until, presumably, you succeed. Each run consists of progressing through randomly-generated rooms, many of which you have to complete in each of the 4 'worlds' of Tartarus, Asphodel, Elysium, and the Temple of Styx. During the ascent, the Gods of Olympus provide various boons to the protagonist - Zagreus, the son of Hades. Turns out, the Olympian Gods are super pumped to have a new relative (which Hades had previously kept hidden from his estranged God-Family), and they want to help you escape. I mentioned the writing was good - this game does a good job of lightly illustrating the hallmark disfunction between the members of the Olympian Family Household. The game forces you into choosing one God vs. another at times, with short-term consequences (good and bad), but in general they are all cooperating to help you to the surface.

After each death, you are sent back home - your father's home - where you keep some things (various items which are used as currency for power ups and other upgrades in the Underworld, and for your character), you lose some things (actual currency - gold, which can be used during each individual escape attempt to purchase items like healing and power ups. You also lose all combat power ups - boons from Gods - earned on each run). You can interact with various Underworld NPCs, which consist of Gods, heroes, souls of the dead, and other Underworld denizens. And of course, being daddy's home, you have your own bedroom - this is where you can spend upgrade currency (darkness) to improve some of your abilities permanently.

With 6 different weapons in the game, and a multitude of power ups that change you main, special, and casting attacks in different ways depending on the God you get a boon from, you are forced into being adaptable. Essentially, your character abilities and mechanics can vary drastically from escape attempt to escape attempt. You could pick the same weapon in a row for several attempts, but with limited ability to control the types of boons you get in each run, your character build, and the strategy you use to be effective with the build, can be extremely different for each attempt. Eventually, you get a feel for what boons can best work together for a specific weapon, but the best you can do is aim for those boons - no guarantee you'll ever come across them. Examples: Athena's boons usually focus on 'deflection', so you can bounce projectiles back to the enemy that fired them at you. Artemis focuses more on enhancing critical damage. Zeus adds electric damage and chain-lightning like mechanics to attacks.

Anyway, I've made it past the Temple of Styx once, but still haven't completed an escape (without spoiling anything regarding how that makes sense). Highly recommend the game, especially for the Switch, as a well-polished pick-up-and-play game. As each run doesn't take too long (world record is something like 11 minutes to complete. I'd say 30-45 min per run is normal), it is perfect for shorter gaming sessions where you still feel you accomplished something. It's also great to sit down with for hours, due to how truly different each run can be - with respect to both your character and the Underworld you have to fight through.