The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.

#135699  by Lox
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 pm
Shrinweck wrote:I'm holding back on Live until I move in with Kupek 'cause I'm not spending whatever on the wireless adapter since the router here is in my roommates room. I'm fairly certain I saw the router in Kupek's living room so it'll be as simple as me finding where my long ethernet cord is. Also I'm more interested in the RPGs for the 360 than the action games.
If you need wireless and you don't want to spend $100 on the Microsoft adapter, setting up a Zyxel P330 as a wireless bridge is very easy and works wonderfully. I just did that for my friend and you can get it for $40ish.

#135752  by Blotus
 Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 pm
Replay wrote:You mean Diablo 3? Is it any good?
Nope, D2! It's something I've always wanted to try and a friend would not shut up about it so I picked it up. And I love it. Loot!

#135753  by Shellie
 Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:50 pm
Yeah I got back into D2 last year for a while heh. The graphics are horrible now though. Loots is always fun!

#135799  by Mental
 Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:00 am
Dishwasher: Dead Samurai. Get it or regret it!

#135800  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:37 am
June/July is when I have to finish Xenogears by.... I wonder if I can do it? =P

#135807  by Mental
 Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:03 am
Mirror's Edge, I think. Probably will go get it tomorrow.

#135808  by SineSwiper
 Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 am
Replay wrote:Mirror's Edge, I think. Probably will go get it tomorrow.
Have you played Fallout 3 yet?

#135809  by Mental
 Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:18 am
No interest.

#135835  by Zeus
 Fri May 01, 2009 2:10 am
Natural Born Seeker wrote:June/July is when I have to finish Xenogears by.... I wonder if I can do it? =P
it's only a 55 hour game, should be no prob

#137307  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:11 am
Bought my first 360 game - Fable 2. It's a lot of fun. Too bad my roommates TV in the living room is crappy, has no remote, and has fucked up aspect ratios set. Without a remote I can't fix this. Without fixing this I routinely can't see the tops and bottoms of the games I play. I'm concentrating on simple stuff and jobs with Fable 2.

Force Unleashed I had to quit because seeing your life in an action game is extremely important.

Good thing I'll be in Kupek's place on Friday. Grainy gaming blows.

Been playing Mass Effect on my PC again. I just beat hardcore difficulty and I'm most of the way through insanity. Too bad it isn't a GFWL game, I'd have most of those achievements *sigh*. Love the gamer points.

Also I sincerely hope that they release more levels for Defense Grid - Awakening. That's some DLC I would definitely pay for.

#137314  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:14 am
Just try to beat my grinder scores, then. There's plenty of content with the extra modes.

#137451  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 pm
Almost done Xenogears. PLayed through FF4 sequel chapter 1.

#137452  by Lox
 Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 pm
God of War 1, then God of War 2.

Also, playing Prince of Persia on the 360.

#137461  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:24 pm
Wow, I think I have already gone through more games this year than last on Console. I find I am playing a lot more than I used to.

#138090  by Mental
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:35 pm
Phantasy Star II on the 360. I'm amazed by how much fun it still is to play through, way better than most currently released games. The writing is also up there on my list of the best-written games of all time.

It's funny, people had such a furious debate about the "auto-battle" methodology in Final Fantasy XII, and I'm sitting here playing Phantasy Star II realizing that they were doing it something like fifteen years beforehand. :P (If you don't hit any buttons during a battle round in PSII, the game will just forego asking for input during the next round and use the same commans as the previous one. Hilariously, when I played through it when I was a kid I did not know this and therefore played the game in a way that was almost unbelievably crippled.)

Also, Mirror's Edge. I've only played through the demo chapter so far and I'm eager to start the real game. It's just that I really really wish that there was more of a practice mode or whatnot, because the controls are demanding and I just end up wincing every time Faith falls off a building and dies (and there are, of course, loads). I absolutely love the realism, the setting, even the controls and gameplay, but it also makes the death sequences all the more disturbing and intimidates me into waiting to play until I can withstand the repeated "splat" sound of Faith falling off a twelve-story building again and again and again and again until I want to turn the console off and hang my head.

#138093  by RentCavalier
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:29 pm
I'm playing The World Ends with You. It is SURPRISING in its fun. The system is easy to learn, yet provides plenty of room for experimentation and tinkering, the battle system is fun and intuitive, if somewhat wonky, and the dialogue's actually fairly funny.

I...I like it...and I'm ashamed.

#138094  by Kupek
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:50 pm
Don't be. Many people came to the same conclusion as you.

Currently playing New Super Mario Bros. and Dragon Quest IV.

#138097  by Zeus
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Just beat Banjo Kazooie on the XBLA. Defeated the main enemy of the game after fighting it for 15+ hours: the camera. Fun game but man that camera is horrible. I remember why I stopped playing it 12 years ago.

Going through Gears 2 on insane with a cuz and poppin' in L4D multiplayer on a regular basis.

#138102  by Mental
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:24 pm
Have you ever liked a game camera? I seem to remember this isn't the first camera grievance you've filed. Or was that Lox maybe, or both?

I'm actually pretty forgiving of game camera styles, there aren't many I don't like. There are some tricks and techniques I wish I would see more often, but I rarely ever find myself going "ugh camera".

#138105  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:48 pm
Swords and Soldiers on WiiWare, lots of fun =)

#138107  by Mental
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:29 pm
Replay wrote:Also, Mirror's Edge. I've only played through the demo chapter so far and I'm eager to start the real game. It's just that I really really wish that there was more of a practice mode or whatnot, because the controls are demanding and I just end up wincing every time Faith falls off a building and dies (and there are, of course, loads). I absolutely love the realism, the setting, even the controls and gameplay, but it also makes the death sequences all the more disturbing and intimidates me into waiting to play until I can withstand the repeated "splat" sound of Faith falling off a twelve-story building again and again and again and again until I want to turn the console off and hang my head.
Like, just now. I was doing just fine, then I ran Faith off twelve stories twice in a row, and the graphics and sound are SO spot-on that it literally is disturbing me.

In kind of an awesome way, though.

#138117  by Chris
 Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:45 pm
right now It's BlazBlue. And it's fucking beautiful. and awesome too. It's pretty much Just another Guilty Gear. feels like it and kicks just as much ass.

#138121  by Oracle
 Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 am
Just finished up beating the Ethereal Queen in Star Ocean: The Last Hope for the 360.

Decent game, not nearly as deep as Star Ocean: The Second Story. I really wanted there to be alternate characters that you could end up with, but not this time.

Also just finished Dishwasher's arcade mode. Fun game to just smash buttons and enjoy glorious gore.

Now I need a new game. I really wish a new Suikoden would come out or something. I need a really good RPG to sink my teeth into.

#138123  by Zeus
 Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:59 am
Replay wrote:Have you ever liked a game camera? I seem to remember this isn't the first camera grievance you've filed. Or was that Lox maybe, or both?

I'm actually pretty forgiving of game camera styles, there aren't many I don't like. There are some tricks and techniques I wish I would see more often, but I rarely ever find myself going "ugh camera".
Yeah. Mario 64's camera wasn't perfect but for the first ever, it was workable and far superior to Banjo's. Zelda's was fucking amazing

#138138  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:38 am
RentCavalier wrote:I'm playing The World Ends with You. It is SURPRISING in its fun. The system is easy to learn, yet provides plenty of room for experimentation and tinkering, the battle system is fun and intuitive, if somewhat wonky, and the dialogue's actually fairly funny.

I...I like it...and I'm ashamed.
You'll soon learn that trying to control two characters at the same time is just like trying to drive two cars at the same time.

Keeping on topic:

Finished Dead Space. It was alright, even if it was extremely predictable and stole everything from System Shock 2. Tried playing another go on the same save, but I just didn't have the motivation.

Still playing Magic, especially the Live matches. Still a really fun game. The only drawback is the same decks over and over again, and I wish WotC would just suck it up and make a similar Magic Online game that had free cards. Not being able to build your own deck is inexcusable.

Playing the DLC in Fallout 3. I fear that I may have drained the life out of this game before, though, since I've killed enough enemies that the headshots just get really boring, and most of the story is just based around endless battles and mazes. After killing over 2000 people, the 2001st kill just doesn't seem to matter.

#138150  by Shrinweck
 Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:47 am
I saw Faz playing Indigo Prophecy (I think it was him) on Steam and it got me to finally buy it (although I have beaten it three times.. *cough*)... The scene when the *spoiler for a game that came out in 2005* police catch up to him and he runs is probably still one of the best sequences I have ever played. A lot of the gameplay is definitely not that great, but it makes up for it with those theatrical moments.

I finally bought Dreamfall. The Longest Journey is certainly one of the best games I've played story-wise (definitely nowhere in contention with Planescape Torment), but the 'combat' factor of Dreamfall put me off in the reviews. The combat is shittily done, but I'm excited to see the main protagonist back at it.

I also just played through Dyson (google it.. free indie game for now.. available on Steam at the end of the month) and it's one of the neatest RTS games I've played in a long, long time. Great time killer. AI sucks, but they know this, admit it, and are trying to fix it. In any case, even though it isn't challenging, it's still pretty fun.

If anyone has bought Dawn of Discovery I would appreciate a first hand thread about it. It looks pretty interesting. But not $50 interesting.

#138213  by Mental
 Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:08 pm
Oracle wrote:Also just finished Dishwasher's arcade mode. Fun game to just smash buttons and enjoy glorious gore.
Good man. I tell no lies, that game is awesome. Did you play the story mode?

Oracle wrote:Now I need a new game. I really wish a new Suikoden would come out or something. I need a really good RPG to sink my teeth into.
Me as well, my friend. Me as well.

Did anyone try Lost Odyssey? Was it any good?

#138214  by Mental
 Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Shrinweck wrote:I finally bought Dreamfall. The Longest Journey is certainly one of the best games I've played story-wise (definitely nowhere in contention with Planescape Torment), but the 'combat' factor of Dreamfall put me off in the reviews. The combat is shittily done, but I'm excited to see the main protagonist back at it.
I'll pick it back up again if you're playing through it. I got past a few of the major story sequences before putting it down for a year or so, but I've been meaning to pick it back up.

Graphics are AWFULLY pretty for a Xbox Original title.

#138215  by Chris
 Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:44 pm
Replay wrote:
Oracle wrote:Also just finished Dishwasher's arcade mode. Fun game to just smash buttons and enjoy glorious gore.
Good man. I tell no lies, that game is awesome. Did you play the story mode?

Oracle wrote:Now I need a new game. I really wish a new Suikoden would come out or something. I need a really good RPG to sink my teeth into.
Me as well, my friend. Me as well.

Did anyone try Lost Odyssey? Was it any good?
I liked lost oddesey. it was good up until the party splits in the last disk where it takes a stupid train to dumbshitsville for a few hours before it gets back on track in the final disk

#138217  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:45 pm
There's Suikoden Tierkreis which came out a few months ago.

#138218  by Oracle
 Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:18 am
Good Seek Hunting wrote:
Any word of in it's worth a purchase?

#138219  by Chris
 Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:27 am
Oracle wrote:
Good Seek Hunting wrote:
Any word of in it's worth a purchase?
it's a fucking fantastic DS Game. different from other suikodens but even with a smaller party requirement it looks and plays great

#138844  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 am
Little King Story, Final Fantasy 4: The after Years, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, and Civilization Revolution DS currently.

I must say, I am a very happy gamer right now =)

#138864  by RentCavalier
 Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:43 am
Lost Odyssey is a citadel of shit in the middle of a shitstorm built out of recycled shit and populated by shitheads, a race of shitty people who literally have shit for brains.

In plain English: it is probably one of the worst RPGs ever made.

#138873  by Zeus
 Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 pm
I'm playing through RE5 and Mirror's Edge right now. RE5 ain't no survival horror anymore (think of it as Gears of Evil) but it's fun. Mirror's Edge is a good bargin-bin game. Very stylish and neat but feels rough around the edges, like it needed to be tweaked and polished a bit more from a design and gameplay point of view. I will finish it and look forward to the next one....at a bargain price. It's a secondary series but worth it for cheap.

#138889  by RentCavalier
 Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:12 am
Zeus wrote:I'm playing through RE5 and Mirror's Edge right now. RE5 ain't no survival horror anymore (think of it as Gears of Evil) but it's fun. Mirror's Edge is a good bargin-bin game. Very stylish and neat but feels rough around the edges, like it needed to be tweaked and polished a bit more from a design and gameplay point of view. I will finish it and look forward to the next one....at a bargain price. It's a secondary series but worth it for cheap.
Shit, I was so impressed by Mirror's Edge, I might consider nabbing in new, if they fix key things, mostly combat and level design. For the most part it's ok, but some of the levels were infuriating for me to figure out just where I was supposed to go.

#138890  by Eric
 Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 am
Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, X-Box...Live.....CURSE YOU CAPCOM!

#138904  by Mental
 Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:03 pm
RentCavalier wrote:Lost Odyssey is a citadel of shit in the middle of a shitstorm built out of recycled shit and populated by shitheads, a race of shitty people who literally have shit for brains.

Can you at least find the Shitblade in Shit Temple and use it to acquire the final Shitty Limit Break, Shithamut, that unlocks the secret shitty ending where you see that the game is just a big pile of shit?

I was actually thinking about getting Lost Odyssey. So what you're telling me is, essentially, no.

#138913  by RentCavalier
 Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:15 pm
Replay wrote:
RentCavalier wrote:Lost Odyssey is a citadel of shit in the middle of a shitstorm built out of recycled shit and populated by shitheads, a race of shitty people who literally have shit for brains.

Can you at least find the Shitblade in Shit Temple and use it to acquire the final Shitty Limit Break, Shithamut, that unlocks the secret shitty ending where you see that the game is just a big pile of shit?

I was actually thinking about getting Lost Odyssey. So what you're telling me is, essentially, no.
The game is passable at first, intriguing next, passably intriguing, then mediocre, tedious, nonsensical, boring, and FRUSTRATINGLY BORING in that order.

Disc 3 literally had a scene--a THREE HOUR CUTSCENE, broken up by brief moments of walking from one place to another, or just invitations to save your game, and in that THREE HOUR CUTSCENE the entire plot turns to utter shit. From then on, I could not bring myself to care what happened to any of the characters, because every single one SUCKED.

The best parts of the game are those little short stories that are littered throughout the game...and y'know what? If I wanted to read a book, I'd READ A FUCKING BOOK. The gameplay itself is so derivitive and uninspiring it might as well not even be there at all. It's clear that no effort was made to actually make the game fun to PLAY--only mildly interesting to watch.

Funny that, in an attempt to spice up the game's cinematic direction, Sakaguchi totally steals the split-screen effect from 24 and abuses it to death.

To the game's credit, there is ONE cutscene--just one--that is both emotionally engaging, well-written, well-directed and surprising. It is short, but sweet, and is ruined almost immediately by the prescence of two perky kids and, more distressingly, a GOD DAMNED FETCH QUEST.

Fuck Lost Odessey. Fuck it HARD, and fuck Sakaguchi for failing to make good on his promises. Mistwalker has released disappointment after disappointment--two games out to market, and they are both mediocre. At least Blue Dragon isn't as PRETENTIOUS as LO, but not much in this world is.

#138914  by Chris
 Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 pm
see that's what happened to me. I was utterly amazed by the game. I fucking loved it. found it beautiful and a bit tragic. and then. and then your party gets separated in disc three and the train derails faster than Final Fantasy 7 did after leaving Midgar. It was sad because through the first 2 discs I was looking at it as one of the better stories I had played through in a while but I was saying that it could easily fall off the tracks and hoping it wouldn't.....but bam. it sure as fuck did. then they all get back together and it get's decent for the end but that third disc fucking pissed me off. becuase it really did fuck the whole damn thing up

#138915  by Eric
 Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:24 am
Eric wrote:Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, X-Box...Live.....CURSE YOU CAPCOM!
Fuck you Capcom, terrible port has ruined the memory of one of my fondest games. :(

#138917  by Blotus
 Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:44 am
I only played a few minutes of it so far. What's wrong with the port?

#138943  by Chris
 Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:14 pm
Blotus wrote:I only played a few minutes of it so far. What's wrong with the port?
you can't earn points by idling in practivce mode to open characters?

#138944  by Eric
 Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:30 pm
Blotus wrote:I only played a few minutes of it so far. What's wrong with the port?
It's filled with bugs:

I've had the game lock up my X-Box 3 times.

In the middle of fights sometimes the frames just fucking disappear mid combat and it looks like teleporting out of Dragon Ball Z, there's fast paced, and there's lawl I can't see shit.

There's input drop repeatedly, good luck defending against a MSP team going high/low.

The change to widescreen is also kinda awkward, because you can't tell if you're actually back against the wall, there's this dead zone.

#138959  by Zeus
 Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:59 pm
Isn't the PS3 one the better port?

#138966  by Mental
 Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:50 pm
RentCavalier wrote:
Replay wrote:

The game is passable at first, intriguing next, passably intriguing, then mediocre, tedious, nonsensical, boring, and FRUSTRATINGLY BORING in that order.

Disc 3 literally had a scene--a THREE HOUR CUTSCENE, broken up by brief moments of walking from one place to another, or just invitations to save your game, and in that THREE HOUR CUTSCENE the entire plot turns to utter shit. From then on, I could not bring myself to care what happened to any of the characters, because every single one SUCKED.

The best parts of the game are those little short stories that are littered throughout the game...and y'know what? If I wanted to read a book, I'd READ A FUCKING BOOK. The gameplay itself is so derivitive and uninspiring it might as well not even be there at all. It's clear that no effort was made to actually make the game fun to PLAY--only mildly interesting to watch.

Funny that, in an attempt to spice up the game's cinematic direction, Sakaguchi totally steals the split-screen effect from 24 and abuses it to death.

To the game's credit, there is ONE cutscene--just one--that is both emotionally engaging, well-written, well-directed and surprising. It is short, but sweet, and is ruined almost immediately by the prescence of two perky kids and, more distressingly, a GOD DAMNED FETCH QUEST.

Fuck Lost Odessey. Fuck it HARD, and fuck Sakaguchi for failing to make good on his promises. Mistwalker has released disappointment after disappointment--two games out to market, and they are both mediocre. At least Blue Dragon isn't as PRETENTIOUS as LO, but not much in this world is.
I'm glad to hear you liked it. (kidding)

Well, I suppose maybe I'll pass then...

#139205  by Kupek
 Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and FF4 DS.

#139207  by Chris
 Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:08 pm
Eric wrote:
It's filled with bugs:

I've had the game lock up my X-Box 3 times.

In the middle of fights sometimes the frames just fucking disappear mid combat and it looks like teleporting out of Dragon Ball Z, there's fast paced, and there's lawl I can't see shit.

There's input drop repeatedly, good luck defending against a MSP team going high/low.

The change to widescreen is also kinda awkward, because you can't tell if you're actually back against the wall, there's this dead zone.
somebody is near red ringed then. because it runs like a dream for me. Love it.

#139209  by Shrinweck
 Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:53 pm
Been playing Blazblue and Assassin's Creed on the 360. Beating Assassin's Creed again seems kind of silly but if I do it on the 360 I'll get gamer points.... *shrug*

Been playing Audiosurf on my PC but it's really just an excuse to listen to music and be unproductive.

Edit: Damn already beat Assassin's Creed. Well it's good to know I don't suck at at least one 360 game.

#139390  by Chris
 Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:49 pm
Trials HD. at this point it is by far the best of the summer of arcade titles. well worth the 1200 point price tag and fun and addicting as all hell. holy shit it's way too much fun