The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.

#139396  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:12 pm
Plants vs. Zombies. Surprisingly good game for $10. The extras are worth playing, too. Still going through the survival modes.

#139398  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:47 pm
Currently playing regularly:
Little King's Story (Wii)
Final Fantasy 4: The Vanished Lunar Whale (Wii)
Suikoden 2 (PSX)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)

#139422  by RentCavalier
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:40 pm
Pokemon Rangers: Shadows of Almia.

It's...

It's actually pretty good. VERY childish, at least at first, but eventually you get caught up in all the stupid poke-drama that happens in poke-land and then you get promoted and oh no the pokemon have been brainwashed you gotta save 'em and then holy crap there's a croagunk he was like so cool and I gotta catch him but he shoots poison bubbles and I have to draw circles really fast and hey it's pikachu what's up pikachu, wanna be my friend pikachu, wanna be my friend, wanna be my friend wanna be my friend wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna

#139433  by Mental
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:17 pm
"Do My Best To Find An Opportunity To Hit On The Cute Local Game Store Manager"

The first level is very difficult. The girl apparently knows how to pack a store. I head over tomorrow morning when the mall opens to try again.

#139434  by bovine
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:27 pm
I just finished grabbing all the achievements in Mass Effect and actually beating DIRT. Waiting to play shadow complex while avoiding such games on the backburner as:

Mad World, Little King's Story, My life as a Dark Lord, Persona 4, Contact, Professor Layton, and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

Games I haven't even started:

No More Heroes, Flower, Sun, and Rain, Devil Summoner, and Devil Summoner 2.

#139460  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:47 pm
RentCavalier wrote:It's actually pretty good. VERY childish, at least at first, but eventually you get caught up in all the stupid poke-drama that happens in poke-land and then you get promoted and oh no the pokemon have been brainwashed you gotta save 'em and then holy crap there's a croagunk he was like so cool and I gotta catch him but he shoots poison bubbles and I have to draw circles really fast and hey it's pikachu what's up pikachu, wanna be my friend pikachu, wanna be my friend, wanna be my friend wanna be my friend wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna
Bright, death.
Bright, bright, bright, death.
Bright death?
Bright death!
BRIGHT DEATH!

#139477  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 am
bovine wrote:I just finished grabbing all the achievements in Mass Effect and actually beating DIRT. Waiting to play shadow complex while avoiding such games on the backburner as:

Mad World, Little King's Story, My life as a Dark Lord, Persona 4, Contact, Professor Layton, and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

How is My Life as a Darklord? I have considered that, but I haven't really played the first WiiWare Chrystal Chronicles.

#139483  by bovine
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am
Tupac Seekur wrote:
bovine wrote:I just finished grabbing all the achievements in Mass Effect and actually beating DIRT. Waiting to play shadow complex while avoiding such games on the backburner as:

How is My Life as a Darklord? I have considered that, but I haven't really played the first WiiWare Chrystal Chronicles.
It is really hard, and I have found myself having to level grind in this strategy puzzle game. It's quirky and cool, but the choice to make grinding a necessity makes me want to play it less. I wish they had demos of these games because this one is tremendously hard to explain.

Video!

Yeah, so it's basically a tower defence game.

#139526  by Blotus
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:55 pm
I played a few hours for Shadow Complex this morning and was enthralled. Based off that short time with it, it's a must for Metroidvania fans.

#141092  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:41 am
I'm playing a lot regularly at the moment across multiple systems:

Dragon Quest 5 - DS remake, middle school RPG
Dragon Quest 8 - PS2
Final Fantasy - VC (NES version)
Rune Factory Frontier - Wii
Wii Fit Plus - Wii
Suikoden 2 - PSX

It may look like a lot to take in at once, but it is working out very well for me. The next game I plan on getting is New Super Mario Brothers which is supposed to be the most challenging Super Mario game to date - so challenging that they put a walkthrough mode in (no gamefaqs needed for lesser players).

#141093  by Mental
 Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:36 am
Mirror's Edge.

I'm in love.

#141102  by Zeus
 Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Replay wrote:Mirror's Edge.

I'm in love.
You'll find that the jumps off of the boards get irritating 'cause you have to jump RIGHT off the edge later on. Also, you fight WAAAAY too often later, it gets irritating considering you're not supposed to be fighting. Other than that, it's got great style, neat story, and very neat puzzle/action gameplay. It's awesome just sitting there and looking around trying to figure out what to do (later on that gets dampened 'cause you're being chased so often, but I still loved it). Great game for $10 (or even $30) but not so much for $60.

Oh, try the Time Trials later. They're quite good.

I finally picked up Mario & Luigi Partners in Time. Man, what a great, light RPG series these are. Awesome for those who don't want a huge undertaking in a 100+ hour RPG. They run about 20 hours each. I adored Superstar Saga and got this one almost 3 years ago but just never got around it it. Picked it up yesterday and put in 7 hours in a day and a half on it. Once I'm done I'll probably go and get Bowser's Inside Story.

#141105  by Chris
 Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:00 pm
Bowsers inside story is hilarious, endearingly adorable, and completely awesome. I am absolutely in love

#141295  by Shellie
 Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:51 pm
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. It's on the DS, and allows me to be close to the kiddo and play a video game at the same time heh. It's actually the first time in a long while that I've been this into a non MMO video game. Ive only played a little bit of the SMT mmo, and watched Sine play some of Digital Devil Saga, so Im only slightly familiar with the concept of the games. It's pretty fun so far.

#141296  by Zeus
 Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:27 pm
Seraphina wrote:Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. It's on the DS, and allows me to be close to the kiddo and play a video game at the same time heh. It's actually the first time in a long while that I've been this into a non MMO video game. Ive only played a little bit of the SMT mmo, and watched Sine play some of Digital Devil Saga, so Im only slightly familiar with the concept of the games. It's pretty fun so far.
That one, Steal Princess, and My World, My Way are three of the more obscure DS RPGs I've been trying to find.

#141305  by RentCavalier
 Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:48 am
Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Why does everyone in this game look like a fucked up Japanese wax Barbie?

#141310  by Chris
 Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 pm
I'm loving the hell out of demons sould. simply a stunning game

#141312  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:11 pm
Finished Suikoden 2. It was a really good game, I liked it much more than the first. I am not sure why Joey Atreides has so many fans, I found him to be a bit of a dick.

#141434  by Lox
 Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:42 pm
I finally platinum'd Batman so now I am going to buy Uncharted 2 tomorrow. I also got GH:Metallica for my birthday so I've been playing that.

#141753  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:12 pm
Currently Dragon Quest 5, Dragon Quest 8, and Final Fantasy NES/VC.

Dragon Quest 5 I like better for a few reasons.
1. While the DQ8 skill addition is a nice change, I always doubt myself in the skill distribution. Gameplay is otherwise fairly identical.

2. The alchemy pot is nearly useless without an FAQ; I don't enjoy researching the best things to make.

3. Character dialogue is much more robust in DQ5; your wife will have a unique comment to say in every area given a specific time, and also after each person you speak to in the game. It give a nice amount of depth to the title which doesn't exist in any other RPG from the golden era (that's what I like to refer to the DQ4-Skies of Arcadia period as, roughly 1990-2000). Also, the dialog is unique for each of the possible wives in the game allowing for unique replays.

4. Plot - DQ5 has the best of the series. It is darker than the others, but still has the pleasant lighthearted areas. The events that occur in the story make for some rewarding points. Weddings and such are unique.

5. Faster gameplay - DQ8 is a post FF7 title. It is much slower in terms of navigating around towns and battles. More animations involved.

6. Locations - the dungeons of DQ5 are all fairly fun. Nothing overly long, an usually lots of optional dialogue points. They don't feel as oppressive.

DQ8 has some things over DQ5 including voice acting. Both games are excellent to play. I really feel now that we missed out on a very important title of the SNES era in DQ5 and probably DQ6 as well (being the other one we didn't get). DQ5 is the first of two SNES DQ games, my new favourite of the series now that I have some experience with each game except DQ6.

Final Fantasy, it is a lot more fun playing this one than the remmade Dawn of Souls. There are a lot of unintuitive flaws in this game. The original had a Nintendo Power guide with all the required charts and such, nowadays an FAQ is required if you're not familiar with the title. Luckily I happen to remember most of the stats and values of everything so I don't have this issue. This game was not as smooth as all later FF games unless you knew what to do at certain points. It also has its most difficult locations (in my opinion) more difficult earlier in the game than later.

#142502  by ManaMan
 Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:37 pm
Mostly Wii VC games:
* Super Mario RPG (SNES)
* Star Tropics (NES)
* Super Mario 2 (Japanese version) (NEW)
* Super Mario Kart (SNES)
* Mega Man 9 (WiiWare)

Yes, I played through SoM again on Wii VC while the wife was pregnant--loved it.

Yes, I only own a Wii. Why yes, I am a luddite.

#142535  by Mental
 Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 pm
The Wii is good!

If their online matchmaking for Super Smash Bros. Brawl hadn't been completely buggy and shattered when I tried it, I'd probably still be playing that now. That was one of the biggest disappointments of this console generation for me - if any game needed an online multiplayer mode that worked, it's that one...

#142538  by SineSwiper
 Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:01 pm
Mental wrote:If their online matchmaking for Super Smash Bros. Brawl hadn't been completely buggy and shattered when I tried it, I'd probably still be playing that now. That was one of the biggest disappointments of this console generation for me - if any game needed an online multiplayer mode that worked, it's that one...
Given how laggy FPSs can be with your standard group of people, I completely fail to understand how anybody can play fighter games online.

#142539  by Zeus
 Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:47 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Mental wrote:If their online matchmaking for Super Smash Bros. Brawl hadn't been completely buggy and shattered when I tried it, I'd probably still be playing that now. That was one of the biggest disappointments of this console generation for me - if any game needed an online multiplayer mode that worked, it's that one...
Given how laggy FPSs can be with your standard group of people, I completely fail to understand how anybody can play fighter games online.
When it worked, Smash Bros played absolutely flawlessly online. Problem is, it took FOREVER to get a match going. Made Gears' matchmaking seems short by comparison

#142548  by Mental
 Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:09 am
Zeus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:
When it worked, Smash Bros played absolutely flawlessly online. Problem is, it took FOREVER to get a match going. Made Gears' matchmaking seems short by comparison
Is that what it was? I think I remember it taking so long on the two occasions I tried that I just assumed either that the delays would absolutely negate any enjoyment I would get from the game, or else, it was just fucking awful and broken...

#142559  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 am
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, FF1, FF7, FFT, Dragon Quest 5 (put 8 on hold), and occasionally Wii-VC Uncharted Waters 2.

Manaman, I played through SoM recently as well with Steph.

#142560  by Blotus
 Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:FF7, FFT,
There's more to do with your PS3 than play PS1 games, y'know!

#142569  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:24 pm
Blotus wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:FF7, FFT,
There's more to do with your PS3 than play PS1 games, y'know!
Gamewise I really am just holding myself off until FF13 and Versus and the PSX library interests me more than the PS3 one until then. I use it for media server stuff and movies. I may see Valkyria Chronicles before FF13 too =)

#142594  by kali o.
 Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:14 pm
I recently bought Assassins Creed II and Prototype. Like, literally this weekend. AC2 I already beat and I'll probably finish Prototype this weekend.

Neither are worth the purchase at full retail price (too short) but Prototype was genuinely fun. I hope it sees a sequel.

#142595  by RentCavalier
 Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:15 pm
I'm playing Fallout 3 again, trying the DLC for the first time.

#142600  by Shrinweck
 Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 pm
I hope they fixed the game stopping bug I experienced in Mothership Zeta for ya, rent.

#143297  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:17 pm
Skies of Arcadia
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Final Fantasy 8

I put 7 on hold right before Nibelheim which I think is a good place to pick up again in a few months. While I find 7 good, I find that 8 is just so much of a richer experience overall; and would rather play that; it is available for download now.

In addition, I finished Dragon Quest 5 DS and Final Fantasy 1. I have to say, Dragon Quest 5 is fairly up there in terms of SNES era RPGs, in the top 5 at least. Damn you Enix for depriving us of the best RPG of the early SNES era! Anyway, I really hope they get a remake done of the Soul Blazer Trilogy, and I would love to see EVO on the VC (or any of the Soup Blazer games for that matter).

#143300  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 am
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy X

I couldn't resist the Final Fantasy Pickup since the only game stop near me had seriously liquidated some of their PS2 titles so I thought now or never. I saw a copy of Xenosaga there once but couldn't find it so I decided I'd go with FFX for now and check back later.

#143307  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:30 am
I loved the Xenosaga trilogy. The first one is a bit of a pain to play through because you don't really know what's going on half the time until the significance of events are revealed later. The first one establishes a lot for the next two though. One other problem with the first is the disjoint between story sequences and gameplay sequences; it's like 4 hours of almost solid wandering and then 1-2 hours of film. The first game also had everything WAY too big as in FF12. The third game of the series makes any suffering from the first well more than worth it. Some people really love the first one though.

#143308  by Anarky
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:45 pm
Bayonetta (xbox 360)
Chrono Trigger (DS)

#143315  by Chris
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 pm
been Playing a lot of Borderlands lately as well as Bayonetta. Also been replaying Valkyria Chronicles for the umpteenth time and mass effect 2

#143329  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:37 am
Playing Borderlands? Good, I'm still playing it as well. What's your Steam and GameSpy names? Got a lv46 Ranger, and a lv18 Soldier.

Also playing Super Paper Mario. Of course, there's a shitload of good games coming out soon. I guess they didn't make the x-mas deadlines.

#143330  by Kupek
 Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 am
SineSwiper wrote:Of course, there's a shitload of good games coming out soon. I guess they didn't make the x-mas deadlines.
Or they realized that everyone releasing all of their games at the same time is a bad strategy.

#143338  by Chris
 Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:12 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Playing Borderlands? Good, I'm still playing it as well. What's your Steam and GameSpy names? Got a lv46 Ranger, and a lv18 Soldier.

Also playing Super Paper Mario. Of course, there's a shitload of good games coming out soon. I guess they didn't make the x-mas deadlines.
I'm playing on 360. and you already have me on steam scion_of_mogo

but yeah.

#143363  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:09 pm
Kupek wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:Of course, there's a shitload of good games coming out soon. I guess they didn't make the x-mas deadlines.
Or they realized that everyone releasing all of their games at the same time is a bad strategy.
So, releasing all of their games on January is better?

#143365  by Kupek
 Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 pm
All games are not released in January, so that is clearly not what I meant.

#143366  by Zeus
 Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Kupek wrote:
So, releasing all of their games on January is better?
First 3 months of the new year is often the final quarter of the fiscal year for many publishers. Unless they feel that they can get an extra boost for Xmas, it's quite beneficial for them to release Jan to Mar where there isn't nearly the competition. It's been like that since the DC days where we saw RE: Code Veronica and Crazy Taxi released in January. The sales still hit their fiscal year and they don't have to worry about stuff like Assassin's Creed 2 or Modern Warfare 2. That's why you're seeing so many big titles (in particular FF13, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Gran Tursimo 5, and God of War 3) this year in particular where there was insane Xmas competition (and that's before you even count New Super Mario Bros Wii in Nov which may end up being the best selling title overall from that time period).

#143455  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:36 am
NSMB sold just shy of 10 million in 6 weeks; fairly good =)

Anyway, Skies of Arcadia.... I just love the flow of this game, it doesn't rush the player through all sorts of features, but you gradually get them as you move through the story increasing your reputation. The game has an amazing flow, beginning as a simple pirate aboard the ship of a more notorious pirate (Drachma or Dyne, depending on the point of the game); and then you do these amazingly heroic things. You then travel across the Ocean to the new continent being exploited by the Valuan Empire from your homelands; new technologies (like the Moonstone Cannon) are discovered.

Upon traveling home, you've become very well known to your enemies in the Empire. So again you are in confrontation with them, war breaks out between the two major powers of your home region; it is over quickly as new technology allows for the Valuans to get past the Nasr defenses. Shortly after, you get your own ship, top of the line with all the newest gadgets. You then travel to an even further part of the world; when you return, you will have your own town; at this point you are officially a major political force in the world as you head towards the last phase of the game.

This build-up is just one of the reasons I love the game, another is that you can stand in seemingly unimportant places and have a great view of a beautifully designed world.

I really hope this game sees a remake, or re-release of sorts, I would most certainly buy it, and play it yet again. This is one of the few games I have played where I can say, 10 years later, that if it were released now it would feel fresh. All he same, this game, to me at least, marked the end of an era; after this, RPGs in attempts to be more progressive started getting away from the genre that I love... Although in the past few years (particularly on the DS) we have been seeing a re-emergence of the older classics and more traditional styles of RPGs.... Of course taking in some of the good things (like voice acting, encyclopedias/bestiaries, etc...) while maintaining the good traditions. This will be an interesting new decade for RPGs, hopefully a new beginning for a new and better line than we have been seeing over this decade past. Final Fantasy 13 could very well be the last of its kind (Xenosaga/FF10, etc...), particularly if Dragon Quest 9 wins over it in sales (DQ9 is a neo-JRPG, which can be defined as similar to the old style, but without random encounters, and with voice acting, encyclopedias, etc...).
 #145286  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:14 pm
Playing a wide variety right now:
Ace Attorney Investigations (DS)
Muramasa The Demon Blade (Wii)
Final Fantasy 13 (PS3)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS3/PSX)
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (Wii/NES)
Castlevania Rebirth (Wii/WiiWare)
Castlevania: Dracula X (Wii/TG16)

I am going fairly 2D nuts right now. Dracula X MUST have the same composer as Suikoden. Simon's Quest and Symphony of the night make me CRAVE Faxanadu.

Words of wisdom: Don't you hate how the best gourmet jellybeans are the same colour as the ones you hate?
 #145385  by Tessian
 Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:21 am
These days I've been hooked on mostly Bad Company 2 (Bovine and I destroy when we play in a squad) and League of Legends (which is freakin crack). Some Dawn of War II expansion when someone else is around and that's about it.
 #145393  by Chris
 Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:05 pm
Playing Just Cause 2 a bit...Ridiculous fun....

also playing Deadly Premonition which is the best worst game ever made. IU know it's a fucking terrible game but got damnit it's the funniest thing I have ever played in my life. Seriously I have never laughed as hard at a game in my life. It's hilarious, fun as hell, and god damnit everyone should at least try it. You will either love every second of dialog or utterly hate everything about it. There is no in between. It's a fucking terrible game that I've enjoyed more than any game I have have. How do I know this? My coffee told me
 #145645  by Blotus
 Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:23 pm
Chris wrote:also playing Deadly Premonition which is the best worst game ever made.
Giant Bomb is doing this for their next Endurance Run!
 #145651  by RentCavalier
 Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:30 pm
Been playing Shadow Complex and Castlevania: SOTN, both acquired via XBLA. Shadow Complex is totally sweet--it's a total Super Metroid clone with a wacky plot ripped out of G.I. Joe and a lot of clever twists on the standard Metroid faire. Gunplay is quick, a la Contra, and there's this sweet 2-D/3-D hybrid mechanic going on. Boss fights are a total joke, but the game is still very fun.

And ya'lls know Castlevania already.
 #145659  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:10 am
I'm playing Castlevania SOTN right now actually, alon with three others in the series (most of my time, oddly enough) going into Simon's Quest. Dracula X (Playing TG16 version) is really good too, nice difficulty level.

Also tack Ogre Battle 64 to the top of my last list.
 #145660  by SineSwiper
 Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 am
Blotus wrote:
Chris wrote:also playing Deadly Premonition which is the best worst game ever made.
Giant Bomb is doing this for their next Endurance Run!
http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-premo ... 5288.phtml