The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.

#134523  by bovine
 Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:31 pm
Zeus wrote:
The Usual Seeker wrote:A co-worker of mine who attended GDC just dropped me off a copy of Rhythm Heaven (The unreleased game that they gave to everyone who attended the Nintendo GDC press conference). It's supposed to be similar to WarioWare. I'll be playing that this weekend.
Rhythm Heaven is set to come out this month I believe
with the WORST dubs ever.

original

english

original

english

#134546  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:16 pm
This is why I downloaded the Jap version months ago :-)

#134575  by RentCavalier
 Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:25 pm
My Gamefly just told me they shipped Mirror's Edge to me.

So, that ought to be fun.

#134584  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:01 am
RentCavalier wrote:My Gamefly just told me they shipped Mirror's Edge to me.

Heh...

#134585  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 am
bovine wrote:with the WORST dubs ever.

original

english

original

english
Well, they are punishing you for listening to shitty music.

#134671  by KluYa
 Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:50 pm
Dragon Warrior 1
The 7th Saga
Beatmania 14 GOLD
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

atm

#134674  by Mental
 Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:15 pm
KluYa wrote:Dragon Warrior 1
The 7th Saga
Beatmania 14 GOLD

atm
Dude, I applaud you on your retro cred. You are playing games older, possibly more entertaining, and probably more valid than many of my hopes and dreams.

In a similar "new games? what are those?" mentality, I have now purchased Fight Night 3 over again. Anyone who wants to get down, I'm ready to toss the gloves.

#134675  by Mental
 Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 pm
RentCavalier wrote:My Gamefly just told me they shipped Mirror's Edge to me.

Tell me how it is. I downloaded the demo, briefly found God in the graphics and soundtrack from the trailer, started playing the training routines, then missed four or five jumps in a row and got frustrated and turned it off and haven't turned it back on since. It's still on my "must play" list unless someone really just says it sucks.

#134681  by M'k'n'zy
 Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 pm
KluYa wrote:Dragon Warrior 1
The 7th Saga
Beatmania 14 GOLD

atm
Ahh, another IIDX fan. I am picking up my copy of 15th style Friday. You thinking of picking it up or have it yet?

#134683  by KluYa
 Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:06 pm
15th Style was a Christmas present to myself. I like Gold better to be honest, but DJ Troopers is still awesome. A lot of the new note charts are very well made.

#134684  by M'k'n'zy
 Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Sweet I am looking forward to adding it to my collection. I am still just a mediocre player, I am breaking into 6s at this point, but I love the game.

#134696  by SineSwiper
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:02 am
Replay wrote:It's still on my "must play" list unless someone really just says it sucks.
Does nobody read my posts...?

#134697  by Chris
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:21 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Replay wrote:It's still on my "must play" list unless someone really just says it sucks.
I loved the game. It's stuntman on feet. it's tough and frustrating but found it rewarding at the end of the day

#134698  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:41 am
SineSwiper wrote:
I'll send you a club badge shortly

#134703  by Mental
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:28 am
SineSwiper wrote:
I'm not sure I was authorized to read this forum at the time of said posts, sir. Thus I bow in deference to the authorities as I have no Faith-like ability to elude them by jumping on rooftops and mirrorwalking over windows.

#134752  by SineSwiper
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:49 pm
Replay wrote:I'm not sure I was authorized to read this forum at the time of said posts, sir. Thus I bow in deference to the authorities as I have no Faith-like ability to elude them by jumping on rooftops and mirrorwalking over windows.
Geesh, it was only about 10 posts up. I guess the entrance to the link was a bit vague, so I'll elaborate:

Zero Punctation declares that Mirror's Edge sucks!

#134761  by RentCavalier
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 pm
Because we absolutely take Yahtzee's opinion on everything to be the gospel truth.

#134763  by Chris
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:21 pm
RentCavalier wrote:Because we absolutely take Yahtzee's opinion on everything to be the gospel truth.
you saying that is just fucking hilarious there Yahtzee Junior

#134765  by RentCavalier
 Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 pm
Chris wrote:
RentCavalier wrote:Because we absolutely take Yahtzee's opinion on everything to be the gospel truth.
you saying that is just fucking hilarious there Yahtzee Junior
At least I capitalize my sentences. :thumbup:

#134775  by Mental
 Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:32 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Replay wrote:I'm not sure I was authorized to read this forum at the time of said posts, sir. Thus I bow in deference to the authorities as I have no Faith-like ability to elude them by jumping on rooftops and mirrorwalking over windows.
Geesh, it was only about 10 posts up. I guess the entrance to the link was a bit vague, so I'll elaborate:

Zero Punctation declares that Mirror's Edge sucks!
I have developed a pathological fear of crappy Internet audio so I frequently don't play linked videos, especially when the site has that sort of G4-ish "here are some ads to go with your content" look about it.

#134778  by RentCavalier
 Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:57 am
ZP has great audio and is usually quite hilarious. Check it out.

#134788  by SineSwiper
 Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:27 am
It usually works, even on the games you like.

#134813  by Blotus
 Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:12 pm
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is mine (for a week)! Impressions to follow.

Update:
I'm nearing the end of Escape from Butcher Bay. Do yourself a big favor and DO NOT play the game on Hard difficulty. Many parts of the game are unfairly difficult due to some flaws in the AI. Some of the "bosses" you fight can seem impossible given the weapons you have to defeat them with (bare-handed, shiv, knuckle dusters), but they usually have a very specific window of opportunity in which you have to hit them.

I can't say yet if the game is worth a purchase since I still have not touched Assault on Dark Athena (the new portion of the game), but if you missed out on 2004's excellent Butcher Bay, you ought to at least rent it. As a shooter it's not great, but the hand-to-hand combat is very well done and there is a great amount of character interaction. For instance, to gain the attention of the prison warden's right hand man, you CAN, but don't have to, do a couple of favors for fellow prisoners to get a shiv which will make killing the prison "boss" a lot easier. You can also earn money or cigarette packs (unlocks bonus shit) from prisoners by doing favors.

So it's definitely not a typical shooter. There's a lot of stealth, and often more than one way to accomplish your goals. Not a game to overlook because of its movie license.

#134913  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:32 am
just updating my list here

Infinate Undiscovery - got this when I first got my 360 and liked it, but I picked up so many others at the same time that I just got back to it. really enjoying it so far.

Legacy of Y's books 1 & 2 - complete overhaul of the Master System classics, with updated graphics, gameplay, and music. I always have found Y's to be an intrigueing series and this is the definitive version of the two games that started it. Defidently worth it.

Madworld - still loving this one, I just cant stop enjoying it.

Persona 4 - finally getting back to this, am defidently enjoying it greatly. Really liking both the characters and the story.

Beatmania IIDX 15th Style - just got it and havent been able to check it out yet, cant wait to get started.

WarioWare Snaped - OK I am generaly a WarioWare fan but this is a lot of fun. THE title to show what the DSi is capable of.

WoW - Yup, still addicted

Cannon Fodder - classic PC game recently released on GOG.com. Was a fave of mine when I was younger, enjoying playing it again.

Rise of the Triad - same as above, another great classic off of gog.

And add to that various games on WiiWare and live arcade that I will pick up, play for 15 minutes or so, then go on to something else.

#134917  by Mental
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:50 am
Whoa, holy shit. What is Legacy of Y's for? I agree, those were some of the most intriguing and dreamlike RPGs out there for the time and I only ever got to play them at my friend's house, had to finally go to sleep one night after reaching the cloud village in the first one and never ever got to play it again. it was magical.

#134918  by RentCavalier
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:53 am
Mirror's Edge is actually not complete crap. TAKE THAT POPULAR OPINION!

It's a flawed gem, more a rental than a purchase, with some great graphics and gameplay that is extremely original and innovative--when it works, it works...it just doesn't work that often.

#134936  by Kupek
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:15 am
Replay wrote:Whoa, holy shit. What is Legacy of Y's for? I agree, those were some of the most intriguing and dreamlike RPGs out there for the time and I only ever got to play them at my friend's house, had to finally go to sleep one night after reaching the cloud village in the first one and never ever got to play it again. it was magical.
Nintendo DS. Jeremy Parish's 1up review: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=31 ... ec=REVIEWS

Another writeup in the RPG column: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=898 ... Id=5379721 (edit: corrected URL)

But. Apparently the PSP is getting (better?) remakes as well: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=898 ... Id=5379721
Last edited by Kupek on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#134943  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:30 pm
I am sorry but I cant agree with the review that they gave the collection. I mean yeah, the graphics arent anything spectacular, but at the same time they are hardly terrible.

#134944  by Mental
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:31 pm
Kupek wrote:
Replay wrote:Whoa, holy shit. What is Legacy of Y's for? I agree, those were some of the most intriguing and dreamlike RPGs out there for the time and I only ever got to play them at my friend's house, had to finally go to sleep one night after reaching the cloud village in the first one and never ever got to play it again. it was magical.
Nintendo DS. Jeremy Parish's 1up review: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=31 ... ec=REVIEWS

Another writeup in the RPG column: http://www.1up.com/1upblogs/5/1ups_rpg_ ... offset=100

But. Apparently the PSP is getting (better?) remakes as well: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=898 ... Id=5379721
I guess critical opinion is somewhat against the remakes.

But! Since I don't own a DS, it's a moot point anyway! Horjay!

#134946  by Kupek
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:39 pm
You don't need to apologize for disagreeing with a review! But his take on the graphics wasn't his main complaint about the game - he was more concerned with the gameplay.

What's more interesting is that Nihon Falcom is working on new remakes of the game - the DS remakes were made by a third party.

#134948  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:55 pm
As far as the gameplay goes, its quick paced, and I really enjoy the fact that unlike the original games, there is an attack button. In the original you simply walked into the enemys and if you got them from the side or back, you hurt them, if you go from the front they hit you. With this release there is an actual attack button, its a familiar run and slash type action rpg. Other than that interface and menus are all based off of the original Ys menus, and just like hte original you can save anywhere. I guess I just dont see the complaint, it feels very very smooth to me.

#134972  by SineSwiper
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:40 pm
RentCavalier wrote:It's a flawed gem, more a rental than a purchase, with some great graphics and gameplay that is extremely original and innovative--when it works, it works...it just doesn't work that often.
Yahtzee at least praised them for trying to create something different, even if it did fail.

#134980  by Mental
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:28 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:As far as the gameplay goes, its quick paced, and I really enjoy the fact that unlike the original games, there is an attack button. In the original you simply walked into the enemys and if you got them from the side or back, you hurt them, if you go from the front they hit you.
I remember that shit. I remember playing chicken with powerful enemies early on trying to exploit that, trying to run into them from the side ten zillion times without having them suddenly switch direction and kill me in one shot. Same way I played FF12 - nail the werewolves in the first combat area with my best spell when I was still, like, level 4, let them aggro, turn around, run, zone, come back, do it all over again until I'd killed them. (This also had the somewhat nice effect of putting me so far ahead on experience and items and the grid that the rest of the game that I actually played was just stupid easy, though it did make it slightly more boring. I sadly sold the game and my PS2 before I'd finished it and now wish I hadn't, I'll still probably go back and finish that and 8 someday.)

I don't know why I play games like this, I just really get a kick out of the "doing something that shouldn't be able to be done" thing.

#134983  by Don
 Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:31 pm
Isn't there like 25 versions of the remakes of Y's 1 and 2? I ended up just buying the artbook instead of the game.

#135476  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:49 am
Update: Finished Final Fantasy VIII, still see it as a fantastic game and I really hope they do a remake of it (along with FF6 and 7).

Rune Factory Frontier is all i am currently playing. I have all else on hold until I am done.

Next is a continuation and completion of Suikoden 2.

#135487  by Mental
 Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm
My mother got nostalgic and purchased a classic NES recently.

So, Arkanoid.

#135614  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:55 pm
Well, looks like I got caught up with my original plan. I started up Xenogears, originally just to show the intro movie, but then the Ignas story came on, and I had to read that (which is especially nice considering the background music, one of Mitsuda's very best pieces), then the intro scene where Fei is in a Gear fighting off a Kislev Gear.... Then I got tied up running around the town and talking to everyone... The village had a very nice amount of detail in it; it felt very alive and just pleasant to be in... Which makes losing it feel like an actual loss.

Xenogears, probably the first English game to have such an excellent script to it. Before this game, dialogue always felt cheap in comparison.

I know there are some people who hated this game here, so I am not going to argue about whether the game is good or not. Just that I love it.

#135618  by Mental
 Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:02 pm
It was the length that turned me off Xeno. The soundtrack is still one of the best ever, though. If I ever got an extra four months maybe I'd give it a try...

#135648  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:41 am
I bought my managers 360 and I've spent pretty much all my time since playing Force Unleashed. The camera control is driving me up the wall and makes me very angry. I'm going to guess that it'll get easier when I master the controller a tad more. He gave me all his games, as well, but I'm not interested in anything other than Force Unleashed, honestly. Assassin's Creed would have been great a year and a half ago before it came out on the PC, but now I've beaten it like 5-6 times. Maybe if I want to play again I'll do it on the x-box for the achievement points.

I might end up playing Gears of War 2, but I totally sucked at the original on the PC so I don't think I'm going to end up getting into it.

My left thumb hurts. Ugh. Another reason I prefer the PC haha.

#135649  by RentCavalier
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:07 am
Dead Space for me. I don't really like it. It's not BAD--it's just repetitive and bland and not particularly but it functions fine. The zero-G shit is pretty sweet and the different varieties of guns are really frickin' sweet, but it ranges from being really easy to frustratingly difficult. It's not scary at all--it's tense, on occasion, and it can startle you, but it isn't original, it isn't that interesting, and it fails as a horror title.

It's fine. Some cool puzzles, some cool mechanics, but there's no INGENUITY. No spark, no originality, nothing but a very formulaic game. Entertaining, but superficial.[/u]

#135657  by Blotus
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:53 am
Natural Born Seeker wrote:I am not going to argue
Wait, what?

I bought Diablo 2 yesterday. Addiction is imminent.

#135669  by Mental
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 pm
You mean Diablo 3? Is it any good?

I was looking at Demigod...it looked pretty fun, actually...I'm trying to break out of being a "sequel whore"...

#135670  by Kupek
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 pm
In related news, I'm going to be playing The Force Unleased, Assassin's Creed and Gears of War 2 soon.

#135674  by Lox
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:45 pm
Kupek wrote:In related news, I'm going to be playing The Force Unleased, Assassin's Creed and Gears of War 2 soon.
Buying an Xbox, I take it? Sweet. All 3 of those are very fun.

I am finally playing through Chrono Trigger DS. Man, this game is awesome. I am so glad I'm finally experiencing it.

#135675  by Kupek
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:46 pm
Ha, no, an Xbox 360 is moving in.

Oh, and Shrin, too.

#135681  by SineSwiper
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:41 pm
Kupek wrote:Ha, no, an Xbox 360 is moving in.

Oh, and Shrin, too.
Ahhh, awesome. If it's your first time playing one (and haven't played the PC versions), I would highly recommend BioShock, Mass Effect, Burnout: Revenge, Orange Box, etc.

#135690  by Lox
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Oh, and Shrin, too.
Hey, that works, too. :)

#135692  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:03 pm
SineSwiper wrote:

Oh, and Shrin, too.
Ahhh, awesome. If it's your first time playing one (and haven't played the PC versions), I would highly recommend BioShock, Mass Effect, Burnout: Revenge, Orange Box, etc.
Yeah. Got it dirt cheap, too. I doubt it's even been used for more than 24 hours. It's too bad I've already played all those games on the PC but Burnout and I'm not terribly interested in it.

#135695  by Mental
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:27 pm
The 360 is magic. I love it. I actually suggest going through XBLA and picking up some fun stuff there, I only even ever play "real" games about half the time on it because XBLA games are so cheap and easy and fun to download.

Assault Heroes I and II are awesome timewasters...at one point I was #10 on Normal on the leaderboards and #7 on Hard. :D Geometry Wars Advanced or whatever it's called on the 360 is very popular and fun too (I didn't buy it, but it's good stuff).

What else...Soul Calibur IV is spectacular...Ninja Gaiden II as well.

And you might even want to take a look at XNA, you being a programmer of no small skill. I can't describe how cool it is to see your own creation showing up on a console. If you sign up for Dream-Build-Play you don't actually have to submit anything and they'll give you a six-month Creator's Club subscription for free.

Some of the Community Games are cool too, there's a lot of crap, but if you sift through it's kind of like the modern-age equivalent of the old shareware bins for your 386 or whatever. :D Takes me right back, I love quirky indie stuff.

<hr>

In other news, what am I playing? I am double-fisting House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return! I love it! :D Used to put in two bucks and play with two guns in the arcade and now it's free. I get to pretend I'm Chow Yun Fat.

#135698  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 pm
I'm holding back on Live until I move in with Kupek 'cause I'm not spending whatever on the wireless adapter since the router here is in my roommates room. I'm fairly certain I saw the router in Kupek's living room so it'll be as simple as me finding where my long ethernet cord is. Also I'm more interested in the RPGs for the 360 than the action games.