The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #132684  by Tessian
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:04 am
I AM PLAYING:

TEAM FORTRESS 2 (addicted suddenly wtf)
SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE (Shrin and I rock)
Left 4 Dead (when enough of you losers are around)
and the occasional DAWN OF WAR 2 beta

what about you losers?
Last edited by Tessian on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#132686  by Zeus
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 am
Call of Duty 2 on Veteran
Namco Museum Virtual Arcade

And I dabble here and there in others

#132692  by Louis
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:11 am
<strong>Single Player</strong>
The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year Edition
Gears of War
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (I like drinking a few beers and killing some time with this game.)

<strong>Multi Player</strong>
Halo 3
Left 4 Dead (PC)
Lord of the Rings Online

<strong>Coming Soon</strong>
Star Ocean: The Last Hope [2/23/2009]
Halo Wars [3/3/2009]
Resident Evil 5 [3/13/2009; 360]
Last edited by Louis on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

#132694  by Lox
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:20 am
I am playing:
Fable 2
Little Big Planet
Rock Band 2
Rune Factory 2
Last edited by Lox on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

#132696  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:29 am
Wii Fit
FF8
Castlevania III
Kirby Superstar Co-op DS
Disgaea DS
DQ Swords
SPORE

Getting Fire Emblem DS and Dragon Quest 5 this week.

#132697  by bovine
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 am
NOW PLAYING
Eternal Sonata
Madworld
Dawn of War 2
Persona 4
De Blob
Flower
Street Fighter 4 (360)

BACK BURNING
Yakuza
No More Heroes
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army

COOP/MULTI
RE5 (360)
Killzone 2
HAWX
Halo3
Call of Duty 4 (360)
Left 4 Dead (PC)
TF2 (PC)
Gears 2
Last edited by bovine on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.

#132698  by Shellie
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:11 am
Now Playing:

Munchkin (heh we just got into this card game and LOVE it!)
Left 4 Dead (sporadically)

Not really much else right now.

#132699  by RentCavalier
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:33 pm
Persona 4 and Soul Reaver 2.

#132700  by Flip
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 pm
Still no next-gen system for me...

Replaying Xenogears, Shadow of the Colossus, Link to the Past, and Chrono Trigger.

Trying to eventually finish: Crisis Core

#132701  by Shrinweck
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:27 pm
Sins of a Solar Empire and solitaire.... Don't judge me.

#132702  by M'k'n'zy
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:48 pm
Currently playing

WoW
Persona 4
Beautiful Katamari
The World Ends With You
Metal Slug 7
WWE SvR 09
Star Ocean 2nd Evolution

Soon aquiring

Star Ocean TLH
Madworld
Dragon Quest V
Suikoden Tiekris

#132703  by Blotus
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:32 pm
Lot of us playing Persona 4. Am I completely behind by just finishing the bathhouse?

#132704  by Chris
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:37 pm
Not really. I actually just re-started my playthough because I wanted to write about playing my way through and what makes it awesome. You are right where I decided to reset because my level was lacking.

#132705  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:43 pm
PC:
Rome: Total war
Rome: Total War Barbarian Invasion
Fallout 3

PS3:
Valkirya Chronicles
Socom Confrontation

Have yet to break the seal on:
PS3:
BioShock

#132707  by Eric
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 pm
Currently Playing:

WoW: WotLK
Dawn of War II Beta
Star Ocean: Second Evolution

Will be playing:
SF4(PS3)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope(X-Box 360)
Dawn of War II(PC)

#132713  by Tessian
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Eric wrote:Currently Playing:
Dawn of War II(PC)
What's your Steam ID? Sounds like at least 3 of us will be playing it

#132715  by Chris
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:40 pm
What SMT game should I play? Since I havn't started Devil Summoner yet should I go for that before DS 2 comes out?

#132717  by RentCavalier
 Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:40 pm
Devil Summoner is the easiest and most user-friendly of the current crop of SMT games, and it's also the only one not turn-based.

However, you may get bored of it. I'd start with it and then, if you can, play SMT: Nocturne

#132746  by Mental
 Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:32 am
D&D Tiny Adventures on Facebook. I'm working too hard on my own games to play anything more complicated...

#132801  by Kupek
 Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 am
Dragon Quest 8 still, but rarely.

#132845  by SineSwiper
 Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:26 pm
Fallout 3, until my RROD.

#133750  by bovine
 Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:55 pm
this going to stickied or what?

#133752  by RentCavalier
 Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:28 pm
Anyone here fans of the Sly Cooper series?

I saw an interesting LP of the first one on the SA forums, so I Gamefly'd the sequel.

It's actually pretty cool. There's a slick Ocean's 11 vibe going around, and the gameplay is varied and diverse, without being TOO frustrating (the hardest challenges have only required three retries.)

It's pretty fun, I'd reccomend it from what I've played so far.

#133778  by Blotus
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:23 am
Persona 4 really doesn't seem to want me to enjoy it. I just spent about an hour watching a cutscene, fighting a boss, watching another cutscene, fighting another boss and then dying! Guess I'll pick it up again in a week.

#133779  by bovine
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 am
Blotus wrote:Persona 4 really doesn't seem to want me to enjoy it. I just spent about an hour watching a cutscene, fighting a boss, watching another cutscene, fighting another boss and then dying! Guess I'll pick it up again in a week.
I tried that, but now it's been pushed way back because of all the great games that have been coming out recently (and GTA for the DS comes out this week :/)

#133780  by Blotus
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:51 am
Also took Oblivion for a spin tonight. It only lasted about ten minutes. Wish I had experienced this before Fallout 3. Speaking of F3, The Pitt DLC should be out soon.

#133788  by Lox
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:38 am
I'm finally committing myself to finishing Bioshock. I've pushed myself past the creepiness and now I'm hooked. Just got the camera.

#133795  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 am
Currently: Wii Fit, MadWorld, Castlevania III, FF8 (almost done), and Fire Emblem DS. I have Dragon Quest 5 to go as well; saving it because I know it will likely be my favourite game this year (though Fire Emblem is really good and could conceivably surpass it) until Wii Sports 2 is released.

I am going to try to do a bi-weekly report here; I like the idea of this thread and hope people keep updating =)

#133797  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:01 am
Fired up homeworld 2. God this game is so fucking cool.

#133802  by Kupek
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:00 pm
Still Dragon Quest 8, about 38 hours in. It's well paced and just a polished, charming game.

#133806  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:05 pm
Kupek wrote:Still Dragon Quest 8, about 38 hours in. It's well paced and just a polished, charming game.
Now you have another game to look forward to for the DS (DQ9)

#133814  by Kupek
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm
I've already been eying DQ 4 and 5. Both, I've heard from several places, are a pleasure to play.

#133815  by M'k'n'zy
 Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:31 pm
Mainly I am still playing WoW, but on top of that I am playing Madworld, Star Ocean The Last Hope, Sonic's Ultimate Genisis Collection, and Beautiful Katamari. I am also still working on finishing off The World Ends With You.

I am about to start into Suikoden Tiekris as soon as it comes out and Legends of Wrestlemania when it comes out.

#133834  by Shrinweck
 Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:25 am
Been playing Empire Total War like mad lately. I played the Prussian empire short campaign out to completion on easy and completed all the objectives with 9 years left to spare. So I took over all of France and started in on Russia - but 9 years is not enough time to take Russia with only one army on the Western front.

Playing an Ottoman Empire long campaign (100 years to the shorts 50) on hard, now. They start off with the most provinces but they're hardly built up at all. I spent the first 10 years just strengthening my positions only to get my ass handed to me by Georgia, of all minor nations. Took me three years just to take them out but at least now I'm poised to take Persia. From there I'll probably keep advancing through Russia, into Poland, and into Italy from there. Other than Spain as the last campaign objective (good God, really? Spain? I get how that straight is important but damn) this campaign should go really well. Besides the fact that I'm surrounded by Christians and the only other major Islamic nation hates me.

#133835  by bovine
 Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:01 am
Shrinweck wrote:Been playing Empire Total War like mad lately. I played the Prussian empire short campaign out to completion on easy and completed all the objectives with 9 years left to spare. So I took over all of France and started in on Russia - but 9 years is not enough time to take Russia with only one army on the Western front.

Playing an Ottoman Empire long campaign (100 years to the shorts 50) on hard, now. They start off with the most provinces but they're hardly built up at all. I spent the first 10 years just strengthening my positions only to get my ass handed to me by Georgia, of all minor nations. Took me three years just to take them out but at least now I'm poised to take Persia. From there I'll probably keep advancing through Russia, into Poland, and into Italy from there. Other than Spain as the last campaign objective (good God, really? Spain? I get how that straight is important but damn) this campaign should go really well. Besides the fact that I'm surrounded by Christians and the only other major Islamic nation hates me.
Spain and Portugal were the first two big intercontinental empires.

#133841  by Shrinweck
 Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:20 pm
That I know. It's probably more Spain and Morocco being an integral part to controlling who gets into the Mediterranean Sea and thus getting at the empire itself. The campaign victory regions that you have to hold are for historical significance or strategic importance more so than dominance over threats.

#133846  by Zeus
 Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:24 pm
I finally beat Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 on Veteren. Man Infinity Ward cheats with their design when it comes to difficulty. More on this later.

Now? Hmm, not too much, actually. I'm on Guitar Hero 3 on and off, my cuz and I may start up 24: The Game to check out the storyline, about 1/4 of the way through Naruto: The Broken Bond, waiting for the L4D scenarios to come out, and trying to get Hardcore Horde going.

#133899  by RentCavalier
 Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:30 am
Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Shit be creepy.

#133946  by Blotus
 Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:45 pm
RentCavalier wrote:Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Shit be creepy.
I was accustomed to Silent Hill's controls, lousy combat (mainly as a result of controls), and non-interactive everything back in the day. The fact that the team responsible for SHH played it so safe with the source material was kind of disappointing.

#134469  by Blotus
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 am
Quick DS impressions!

Suikoden Tierkries: Absolutely horrible first impression. Terrible voice acting, awful graphics and animation, boring combat. It's trying to play on my Suikostalgia with some of it's tunes, but I'm not falling for it. What's interesting about naming your character is that they do not allow you to use certain words. For instance: fuck, fuk, shit, ass, rapelord, and faggot are unacceptable names, as are most variations of such words. I spent almost as much time naming my character as I did with the game itself, just to see what it would and would not accept. In the end, Boy Rapist was acceptable.

Valkyrie Profile: Plays like most other isometric SRPGs, except once you choose to attack, you're taken to a separate screen and combat plays out like other VP titles where you wail on a character's corresponding face button to do combos. Pretty decent so far. Music and art is very true to the series.

Rhythm Heaven: FUN!

#134472  by Shellie
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 am
LOTRO....Ive become addicted again.

#134473  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:09 pm
Rune Factory Frontier (the Wii version) has caused me to console game ~20 hours a week... Addictive, and very fun; probably going to be rare like the others; and this one is a lot better in my opinion.

#134475  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 pm
I have now finished Suikoden Tiekreis. It starts out slow, and yes the voice acting is terrible, but once the story gets going its actually pretty good.

I am still working on Star Ocean The Last Hope, and have started playing Legends of Wrestlemania. A friend of mine and I have also gotten into A Kingdom for Keflings. Its so simple but it still manages to be fun.

On the Wii side of things I am playing Madworld still, as well as starting ot play Super Swing Golf Season 2 again.

On my PSP I am playin gthrough Star Ocean: The Second Evolution, the remake of Star Ocean The Second Story, which is one of my fave RPG's of all time.

On the DS I am currently playing Legacy of Ys books one and two. I am also still working on finishing off The World Ends With You, and occasional bouts of Arkanoid DS and Space Invaders Extreme with my imported paddle controler.

I will be the owner of a DSi on the 5th when it comes out. I am sad to lose my GBA slot, but my wife has a DS lite and doesnt plan to get a DSi so I can use hers to play Space Invaders and Arkanoid, and I have my micro that I take to work to play other GBA games.

#134476  by Shrinweck
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 pm
I beat Brothers in Arms - Hell's Highway last week and the campaign was incredibly fun... most of the time. Assaulting a hill near-singlehandedly with three machine gun positions and artillery raining down on you is quite difficult and not all that much fun but most of it thumbs up haha.

Been playing Prince of Persia again. I love how fluid the controls are once you get used to them. The combat system is combo-based which took a long time to get used to. The 'puzzles' to get through the levels are also combos in themselves and as you go through the game you have to be able to do said combos quicker and quicker. If only you didn't have to spend time picking up light seeds I'd say it's almost better than Sands of Time. Still, I like it more than Warrior Within and Two Thrones. Note that you should not marathon all three games before playing Prince of Persia because the control scheme is so radically different that you will surely have trouble.

Gotten back into Empire: Total War - I haven't had the motivation to play through an entire long campaign as of yet, but I'm hoping to get through it on the United Provinces (Dutch) campaign. Their campaign is very interesting because most of the conquest required isn't in Europe and instead requires you to take various locations in India and the Americas. I'm not looking forward to the war against the Thirteen Colonies because I need to take New York.

#134477  by Tessian
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:26 pm
Thanks to the 1/2 off sale last week I've been mostly playing Farcry 2... I'm getting the hang of it, I just wish sometimes the AI was better (I've had to restart a mission a few times because stupid ass friendly AI die) and there wasn't quite so much driving... maybe a "Go to the nearest bus stop" button?

Also been trying to get back into LOTRO, although that still requires large swaths of time in one sitting to play since all that's left are instances.

Just started playing Prince of Persia a bit the other day to appease Shrin ;)

#134481  by Mental
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:29 pm
Warcraft 3.

I fail at buying new games, I think. :P

#134482  by RentCavalier
 Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:42 pm
Pokemon Platinum, mostly. I beat Homecoming. Was ok. Not great, not terrible. A decent horror game, but left a bit to be desired.

#134499  by SineSwiper
 Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:12 am
Done just about everything except finish Fallout 3. I'm waiting for a 3-pack of the DLC to go on sale at some point, and then I'll go back to that. Occasionally play Left 4 Dead, but mostly finished with that game. (My sister, however, is obsessed with getting all of the Expert achievements with a group of friends.)

Currently playing LOTRO again. After a couple months of not playing, I've gotten interested in it again. Trying to get my burg to level 60, and possibly get my captain to Moria. (I hear they have a shortage of Captains, anyway. I love my Captain.)

Still have Dead Space left to play as well, and picked up some RTS RPG from Altus, as well as the first Gears of War. Hope I have time to play through those, instead of having them waste away on my shelf.

#134503  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:38 am
A co-worker of mine who attended GDC just dropped me off a copy of Rhythm Heaven (The unreleased game that they gave to everyone who attended the Nintendo GDC press conference). It's supposed to be similar to WarioWare. I'll be playing that this weekend.

#134515  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:48 pm
The Usual Seeker wrote:A co-worker of mine who attended GDC just dropped me off a copy of Rhythm Heaven (The unreleased game that they gave to everyone who attended the Nintendo GDC press conference). It's supposed to be similar to WarioWare. I'll be playing that this weekend.
Rhythm Heaven is set to come out this month I believe