The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #163633  by Don
 Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:19 pm
Playing Summoner Wars on mobile. It's like the WoW Pokemon game, without the WoW or the Pokemon. I'm not sure why Nintendo still haven't gotten around doing this. You have like 2 or 3 abilities and you kill monsters for a chance to get more monsters and then you sac monsters for even more powerful monsters and then repeat.
 #163960  by Shrinweck
 Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:30 pm
Wasteland 2 is amazing. If you're a fan of that sort of game at all you should pick it up now. If turn based squad combat is more of a genre you dabble in, it's still a must buy when it eventually goes on sale. This is the best thing I've gotten from Kickstarter with Defense Grid 2 coming in second (and both released in the same week!). So much gaming goodness.
 #163974  by kali o.
 Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:02 pm
Wasteland 2 is pretty good -- but I admit I have had more fun with Shadow of Mordor. I will get back to WL2 at some point
 #163975  by Shrinweck
 Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:23 pm
Wasteland 2 gets a lot better for the most part when you get to the second part of the story. It's a little less polished but the premise and atmosphere improve immensely.
 #164031  by Anarky
 Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:40 pm
Smash Bros on 3ds!

Friends code: 5172-2324-9796
 #164033  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 pm
Dragon Quest 1 and Dragon Quest 2!

On iOS...

Also 4 and 8 are available! The interface is surprisingly great.

The interface is very good. I haven't played the iOS FF games except Dimensions, but 1-6 are available in a bundle for 70 bucks, these are the most recent remakes of each version including the DS versions of 3 and 4. Dimensions isn't as good, but the game is a few years old now. It's interesting how all of the grinding combined in DQ1 is nowhere near as painful the weird filler battles for the first 5 hours of FF13... That actually go on for the entire 35 hour game.
 #164084  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:54 am
I'm shifting between a few games. Dragon Quest 1 finished, Dragon Quest 2 I am playing through currently.

The rest is going to be a rushed post because I have to be out of here in 3-4 minutes; I'll fix it later :P

On PC I am playing through the new Charlemagne DLC of Crusader Kings 2. I am playing as a North Germanic tribe, the Eastern Geats, with a character created by the name of Beowulf. After King Sigurd Ring of the Swedes committed too many troops to the Finnish Alliance, I invaded and conquered them, and eventually defeated his heir the famed Ragnar Lodbrok who commanded all of his holdings outside of Sweden. I sealed an alliance with Denmark and Saxony, and after Poland and the Franks demolished Saxony, the Danish and the Geats moved in against them.

For those who haven't played this, it's more of a dynasty simulator than a war game. War just happens to be a part of it, a MAJOR part if you are playing a Viking nation. The game begins in 769, and you can play up until 1453 - the date of the fall of the Byzantine Empire. After which, you can import your game into Europa Universalis 4 and continue playing until the middle of the 19th century.

You can marry, take concubines, marry off your sons and daughters to form relationships with anyone from a lowborn house, to Lords, to Dukes, and to Kings and Emperors; although there are many different cultures and many many different types of noble houses around the world. There are also many different storyline segments, some dealing with portions within your own court, issues within your nation, to massive issues effecting much of the world - many of which won't even effect you - such as the clash of Orthodox religion vs Iconoclasm occurring in the Roman successor states, although I am a Viking, so I don't give a crap. Something that may effect me down the road will be the unification of Mongolia, and the Mongols Westward march.

There are also different government types, different succession laws, and all sorts of things like that. The game might be a little overwhelming at first, but luckily there is a bit of an objective system - the best way to learn is to ignore tutorials, jump right in, and then when you get the objectives - research on how to complete them.
 #164086  by kali o.
 Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm
I am pretty sure I tried Crusader Kings 2 but couldn't get into it. Definitely not the DLC though...but I'm not sure. I'll probably give it another shot, based on your description, since that is right up my alley (I still have a modded up Guild II:R installed, which has similar aspects to what you mentioned....man, I wish they would make a sequel to that game finally. The ultimate Dynasty simulator).
 #164100  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 am
It is a bulky game with a huge amount of variety.

The vanilla runs from 1066 to 1453, and focuses strictly on Christian nations of Europe with other nations being outsiders.

With all of the DLC the beginning of the game is pushed back to 769, and if you include Europa Universalis 4 - it doesn't end until 1821. In addition you can play Islamic nations, all sorts of pagan nations; though the Vikings are the most interesting, Hindu and Buddhist civilizations, etc... It's a much wider game. There are all sorts of new succession laws as well, including Matrilineal, where the eldest daughter is the royal heir.
 #164219  by kali o.
 Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:43 am
Been playing a bit of a game called "This War of Mine".

Interesting...a little like sims, in a war torn area. Poor description, but google it...I like it, but I don't know if I recommend buying it. I mean, it is good and different, worth playing...but a little on the shallow side.
 #164283  by Shellie
 Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:11 pm
Hah I came here to say.. This War of Mine. I lovehate it so much! It does pull you in, but I can see where it could get tedious.

also, Don't Starve. I know, I'm way behind, thank you Steam sale. I'm on a weird survival game kick.

ETA: Our 5 year old is turning into a gamer (we've ruined him). He loves any kind of game where he can build levels. He likes making levels for N+ and Battle Block Theater. We're trying to ease him into platformers, but it's hard to find one that won't frustrate him. We have Disney Infinity, but he has some trouble with the 2 stick system (movement/camera) in a 3D world. We're working on it lol
 #164291  by Replay
 Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm
Skyborn. If you miss the old 16-bit Final Fantasies, it's worth it. Great game.

#164304  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm
Mario Kart 8 and Smash, both are a 1-2 times a week thing.
Fantasy Life multiplayer more often, but shorter bursts.

WAAAAAAAY too much time on Crusader Kings 2, still on the same game that I started in 769 AD as a small Norse County. It is now 1180 and I lead a vast Empire spanning all of Europe with the exception of Spain and Portugal; in addition to Norman France, Norman Scotland, and Norman Ireland - all owned by the Norman branches of my dynasty. I am currently putting down the last of the Christian nations... What's left of them... All that will be left in 20 years will be a few Orthodox states over in Asia; have fun with the Mongols next century!

My goal was not the genocide of the people of Christ, but rather just to refound the Germanic Kingdoms of the 5th and 6th centuries. It is just a coincidence that I could do it with a traditional Germanic Pagan religion... Spain will be incredibly difficult due to the Caliphate of Cordoba.
 #164312  by Replay
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 am
My goal was not the genocide of the people of Christ, but rather just to refound the Germanic Kingdoms of the 5th and 6th centuries.
For some reason this made me laugh. Video games: where you can be what the world would NEVER LET YOU OTHERWISE BE!

Also, always best to avoid the genocide of the people of Christ :D Or any people, really! Makes other civilizations mad at you, wastes centuries in petty bickering.
 #164313  by Shrinweck
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:23 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Mario Kart 8 and Smash, both are a 1-2 times a week thing.

WAAAAAAAY too much time on Crusader Kings 2, still on the same game that I started in 769 AD as a small Norse County. It is now 1180 and I lead a vast Empire spanning all of Europe with the exception of Spain and Portugal; in addition to Norman France, Norman Scotland, and Norman Ireland - all owned by the Norman branches of my dynasty. I am currently putting down the last of the Christian nations... What's left of them... All that will be left in 20 years will be a few Orthodox states over in Asia; have fun with the Mongols next century!

My goal was not the genocide of the people of Christ, but rather just to refound the Germanic Kingdoms of the 5th and 6th centuries. It is just a coincidence that I could do it with a traditional Germanic Pagan religion... Spain will be incredibly difficult due to the Caliphate of Cordoba.
Crusader Kings 2 Steam forums snapshot - pure genius when taken out of context:

#164316  by Replay
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:53 pm
That is @#$%ing hilarious :)
 #164334  by Replay
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:50 pm
On that note...adding Sims 3

#164397  by Shrinweck
 Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:16 pm
Finished the South Park game today after grabbing it during the latest Steam sale. Very fun game. Not a laugh riot, but VERY funny when the occasion came up. The combat was surprisingly involved/entertaining for a game like this and basically the second it starts getting tedious, the game is over.
 #164398  by kali o.
 Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:46 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Finished the South Park game today after grabbing it during the latest Steam sale. Very fun game. Not a laugh riot, but VERY funny when the occasion came up. The combat was surprisingly involved/entertaining for a game like this and basically the second it starts getting tedious, the game is over.
Pretty late to that party..Obsidian did a great job with the entire game...except the combat (shallow). Did they ever release DLC?
 #164399  by Shrinweck
 Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:43 pm
Nothing so far that isn't costume/equipment related. I didn't have any interest in the game since I'm not crazy about South Park, but for $13 with the positive reviews I couldn't resist. South Park is hard to beat when it's at its best.

Edit: Some day I imagine I'll play through it again as the "Jew" class. I wonder how much shit Cartman talks.
 #164400  by kali o.
 Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Edit: Some day I imagine I'll play through it again as the "Jew" class. I wonder how much shit Cartman talks.
Been a while, so I don't remember the details. I did a jew playthrough though and it didn't change much.
 #164414  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:10 am
I should have gone with my initial gut with Smash and not have wasted the money on it. I still play Mario Kart 8 way more often; but I have only played my home version of Smash twice since buying it. Aside from the novel experience of having Nintendo characters compete from across the library, I find the game experience is no more fun now than it was on N64. The best update was the Wii version which came with a really interesting single player campaign. The Wii U version has the 8 player mode which is a lot of fun, but I never needed my own copy of the game for that.

Also, when playing 8 player games, there's always at least one player who HAS to annoy everyone with the loud plasticky noise of their GameCube controller. Their argument is that the Gamecube controllers are better, but even with all of their self-proclaimed Smash Brothers experience, they very rarely seem to win games. I tend to beat them fairly regularly just using a Wii remote.
 #164456  by Replay
 Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:53 am
I've really cooled out on Nintendo lately.

I had a Wii and I sold it after Twilight Princess bored me near to madness; it's not that it was a BAD game, but I felt like I had already played it when it was called Ocarina of Time. The best thing about it was all the old Nintendo and Sega games I could get for it; but even Sword of Vermilion wasn't enough to keep me in the fold.

That being said Seek, as I also am a League of Legends junkie lately - the problem with 8-10 player games may not be Nintendo's fault - that old saw about 1 in every 10-20 people being a sadistic sociopath may be true. Be glad if squeaky controllers are the only problem you have with these people. When I play League I get subjected to oven jokes about Jewish people, racial slurs of every kind, and some of the worst, most childish temper tantrums I've ever seen.
 #164600  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:03 pm
Got around to playing This War of Mine and find it more enjoyable than I thought I would. After my first attempt to play through kind of failed I started a second that I'm enjoying quite a bit. Up to day 18 and I, if raiders don't completely destroy me, have enough food to feed my four people for the next 15+ days. I'm also a weapon part or two away from a rifle or shotgun or some such. Been able to avoid doing anything to horrible yet. I stole a bunch of food and bandages/medicine from some son living with his parents despite not really needing to, but I got nervous when half the map got greyed out due to fighting when I was only 10ish days into the game. Surprisingly, 3/4s of my household didn't really mind.

Edit: Managed to beat the game with this second attempt. I got a happy ending where everyone survived and still feel pretty depressed about it. For some reason I got it into my head that the game would last 60 days as opposed to 45 so I got pretty nervous when after 40ish days I'd completely ran out of peaceful looting and would have to rob some more normal folk or kill more bandits and take their shit. I had enough self-sustaining rat traps and I'd just gotten my vegetable growing started in day 39ish so I knew I'd probably be fine on food but I definitely ran out of bullets and close to the end there 8 bullets were going for fucking three bottles of moonshine.

So, yeah, managed to get through without doing anything worse than robbing that family in the beginning. I even had enough of a surplus to constantly help my neighbors so my people were content for the last several days of the game. I did accidentally save scum one of my people when he got obliterated by some bandits - I rage quit alt-f4'd and came back to the beginning of the day.

I really 'enjoyed' the anti-war sentiment of this game. I was worried that the game would be like eating vegetables, so-to-speak, but other than the combat I found it to be quite fun. And the combat SHOULD be punishing so I wouldn't really change that, but it's definitely not fun :D Get so caught up in saving money with Steam sales and shit that I was hesitant to buy this full price this week. Worth every cent. Probably get another 1-2 playthroughs out of it.

This game wins the most depressing achievement for flawlessly winning I've ever seen. "In the beginning, we [hoped we would all make it]. So many died. And yet we're still here. This surely means something... right?"
 #164696  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:47 am
I'm into Dragon Quest 3 now on iOS. I forgot how addictive this game could be.

The iOS versions of DQ1 and DQ2 are, in my opinion, the definitive versions of the game. They are very well balanced. DQ1 and 2 won't take you very long, there aren't places where you will get stuck like in previous iterations. Also, your additional characters in DQ2 aren't useless.

DQ3 is just brilliant. It is missing some of the additional features of the GBC version, but overall the balance is better and other areas have been expanded upon, such as the number of items you can get from mini-medals.

All of the games are done in the 16-bit SNES style, and rebalanced so that there's not really much in the way of grinding; so it feels like in a typical mobile play session you can accomplish something significant, which makes the game satisfying to play in shorter spurts.
 #164803  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 pm
Shrinweck wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:Mario Kart 8 and Smash, both are a 1-2 times a week thing.

Crusader Kings 2 Steam forums snapshot - pure genius when taken out of context:

Haha! Oh my god is that funny!

It kind of reminds me of the Utopia forums back in the day with all the posts about people trying to find volunteers to join them in gangbanging a whore.
 #164805  by kali o.
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm
I did get the anti-christ on my playthrough for an heir. My empire is too big and succession line too long for him to reasonably take the throne(which would be cool), but he is causing all sorts of shit from the provinces he controls. When I have more time and less backlog I will start a new kingdom...keep it small and hope I get that trait again.
 #164866  by Replay
 Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:12 am
The reason that screenshot is hilarious is that it probably resembles actual conversations from the highest levels of backroom power in the Crusader days more than anyone wants to think about.

I mean, shit, half the medieval kings and queens are probably up in the clouds right now going, "I feel your pain, I hated the Pope too."
 #164908  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:10 am
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on New 3DS.

For starters, this game is the most polished feeling of any Monster Hunter game. For new players, this is easily the best game to play.

If you're unfamiliar with the Monster Hunter series, it often gets lumped in with RPGs, but this is not an RPG, it's an action game series which has a large focus on item collection and crafting. The progression sequence is as follows:
1. Hunt some monsters, and carve their parts.
2. Upgrade weapons and armour through crafting.
3. Complete quests, unlock new areas with new quests.
4. Hunt more powerful and spectacular looking monsters, carve their parts.
Repeat.

Aside from armour and weapon upgrades, and just overall accumulation of supplies and wealth, character progression occurs by way Hunter Ranks, and online leaderboards in the multiplayer mode; which I have yet to play, since normally I play local multi-player.

Single player and multi-player modes has been incredibly beefed up compared to previous games. Some stuff that has added are:

1. The first improvement players will come across is the increase in story elements. Fairly straight forward.
2. The second thing I noticed was instead of just picking up one item at a time, often multiple items can be picked at once, like 8-huskberries, 3 herbs, etc... This is a huge improvement to always just collecting 1 item every time.
3. Monster Hunter 4 seems to be easier in the earlier phases than earlier games were... One thing about the older games was that first step was incredibly challenging before getting proper armour and weapons. This time around, my first encounter with a Great Jaggi seemed relatively easy rather than disastrous. Essentially, with older MH games, among the most difficult portions were the early large monster hunts.
4. Weapons have additional charge attacks added, which increases and improves upon what is already a great battle system.
5. Jump attacks, now when leaping off of cliffs, getting smacked into the air by a fellow player, or just pole-vaulting into the air, players can land attacks or jump onto monsters backs and attack them. This makes the battles feel smoother than ever.
6. Environments are more vertical, there are more cliffs, hills, and areas to climb, there are upper and lower levels in many different locations. Climbing is very fast and easy, and you're able to leap from the side of a cliff and ambush a monster with relative ease... I am wondering if Assassin's Creed or Xenoblade had any influence on this?
7. Dynamic terrain, fighting large monsters can mean that a lot of things are going to get broken, knocked around, etc...
8. You get NPC party members from the very beginning.
9. On top of having a huge number of monsters, the variety is also much greater than previous games. Monster Hunter 3 had a lot of Wyvern style monsters; this game increases the variety significantly.
10. Largest line-up of monsters in any game in the franchise; by a considerable amount. There are 23 small monsters, which is the highest number, but not much higher than previous games. Where the Monster count really skyrockets are in the large monster category, which is up to 75 - nearly double from Tri's 40.
11. There are a few new modes like Expedition, which I haven't had a chance to try yet.
12. You can excavate rare armour and weapons in the late game, I don't really have many details on this as I am probably about 100 hours or so from this stage.
13. There seems to be an improvement in touch screen customization, I don't quite remember the extent of 3 Ultimate, but this one allows the player to add gadgets for different item types - like 3 Ultimate, the gadgets can be moved around as long as there is space to set them, it is one of the best uses of a touch screen I have ever seen for a game, and it combines very well with the traditional game controls.

One of the awesome things with the New 3DS is that I can actually play this game in 3D. While playing multi-player, I am generally sitting up, and I have a tendency to jerk the 3DS around due to the complex control entries; which on the old model would cause splitting while in 3D mode. On the new 3DS model, the eye tracking eliminates any splitting, 3D works wonderfully. In addition there is also the nub which allows camera control, it's a nice addition, but certainly not necessary as the touch screen directional control is fairly good as is. The benefit is that more realestate is freed up, so other gadgets can be added to the lower screen in the place of the directional pad.

This is the first major game on my 2015 games list, and I ranked it 4th overall on my most anticipated games list. I have yet to play Majora's Mask which also launched this weekend, but this game is easily going to consume more of my time, so I figured I would get a head-start on it.
 #165044  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:32 pm
An interesting note on Monster Hunter 3 vs 4.

Monster Hunter 3 sold 5.5 million units, and was available on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS.
Monster Hunter 4 has sold over 6.2 million units while only being available on 3DS.

From a quality standpoint, it is a much bigger game than 3 was with greater depth on the micro-scale too, with improvements to the battle system on top of other things. Monster design is also much better in this version. The game is also considerably easier to get into than past games, it is like Fire Emblem Awakening in that way.

I highly recommend it to anyone with a 3DS.
 #165129  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:42 am
I cashed in my eShop rebate credits a while ago and ended up with around $70 more dollars, and just picked up the DKC trilogy on sale for $4.50 of that credit.

I keep forgetting how much I love 2D platformers until I play games like the DKC games, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Super Mario Bros 3.

On iOS I also got a nice little $5 game called Kero Blaster, developed by Pixel, the same guy that created Cave Story. It is a nice game, although I think I am at the final boss and I got there in only around an hour to an hour and a half. I still haven't finished it.
 #165172  by ManaMan
 Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:59 am
I'm currently playing Terraria from the Steam store. It's sort of a 16-bit 2d sandbox game, similar to MineCraft. Fun to play and explore the randomly generated worlds. I'd recommend it.

#165187  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:20 am
Terraria is a great game! Although, every time I play these games I find myself returning to Dwarf Fortress.
 #165194  by kali o.
 Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:10 pm
While I like Terraria (I bought it for the PS4 too), I still like that other space-based one more...Starbound I think it's called. Not sure if it's out of beta, but if they release it for the PSN, I will totally pick it up (I hate playing games like this on my PC...not sure why).
 #165213  by Eric
 Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:47 pm
Starbound is the sequel to Terraria isn't it? That or the heavily influenced by Terraria new IP game. :P
 #165240  by Oracle
 Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 am
Spent a disgusting amount of time in Jan/Feb doing two playthroughs of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Did a 200.6% completion run in Castlevania SotN a couple weeks back (think it took me 5.5 hours - I farmed a lot of items like rings of varda, crissaegrim, etc.).

Playing Transistor right now. Going to buy South Park: tSoT today on steam as it's on sale and I've never played it, but have been meaning too.

And just for the record, I still log into Dark Age of Camelot a few times a week :) My playing that game for the past (almost) 14 years is directly attributable to this forum and El Kabong :p

Edit: And now, I'll likely be picking up Starbound :p

Edit2: And now I have to buy Ori, god damnit.
 #165241  by Oracle
 Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:13 am
kali o. wrote:While I like Terraria (I bought it for the PS4 too), I still like that other space-based one more...Starbound I think it's called. Not sure if it's out of beta, but if they release it for the PSN, I will totally pick it up (I hate playing games like this on my PC...not sure why).
Me too, but since I got the wireless 360 controller dongle for PC, I've been playing almost everything on my PC (with sound/video routed to my HDTV/receiver).
 #165253  by Shellie
 Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:23 pm
We've been playing Terraria! I also picked up Cities: Skylines which I am loving! It's truly what Sim City should have been. The level of detail is amazing.

We play Terraria multiplayer, if anyone is on Steam and sees us playing, join or send a message! It's currently a Hardmode world.
 #165254  by Oracle
 Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 pm
Shellie wrote:I also picked up Cities: Skylines which I am loving! It's truly what Sim City should have been. The level of detail is amazing.
And another $33 gone
 #165258  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 am
I have just purchased it.

Paradox has risen to replace both Firaxis/Microprose AND Maxis as the dominant simulation and strategy developer. It'll be interesting to see where they go next.
 #165260  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:46 pm
I was considering either Skylines or Ori and the Blind Forest and went with Ori after watching a bit of both games on Twitch. It's fun. I usually don't care for platformers but they do various things to mitigate that. A good game so far.

As for strategy, I also keep an eye on what Stardock/Ironclad (Galactic Civilizations, Sins of a Solar Empire) and Aplitude (Endless Legends, Endless Space, Dungeon of the Endless) put out.
 #165350  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:16 am
Story of Seasons, and it's fantastic. Easily the best in the Harvest Moon franchise so far.

To explain the situation, Harvest Moon is a trademark used in North America to publish a series from Japan known as Bokujo Monogatari. The Harvest Moon trademark is owned by Natsume, but the developer of Bokujo Monogatari is Marvelous. Marvelous ended their relationship with Natsume and now works exclusively with XSeed, as a result, Bokujo Monogatari games can now no longer be published under the Harvest Moon trademark, so instead they are now Story of Seasons.

In other words, any old fans of Harvest Moon are actually Bokujo Monogatari fans, and that series has just gone through a name change in the Western market. The confusing part is that Natsume is releasing other games using the Harvest Moon trademark which are completely unrelated to Bokujo Monogatari. The latest was Harvest Moon: Lost World - the one that looked like Minecraft, and sucks - is not related to the Bokujo Monogatari at all, it just happens to have the Harvest Moon label slapped onto it.

Anyway, after playing Story of Seasons for a bit, this is the largest jump the mainline series has ever seen:
1. The game now allows 9 plots to be hoed at a time instead of 1, and those can all be harvested at once. It speeds things up a lot. Everything is much faster now.
2. Multiplayer trading and streetpass functionality that allows characters to drop off in other towns.
3. Content seems to be heavily increased, it always seems there is something going on, past Harvest Moon games were occassionally sparse.
4. Localization is better than past mainline games.
5. there are two difficulty modes, they just adjust how far the benchmark goals so everything is 30% faster, and stamina lasts 50% longer on easy mode.
6. Character customizations, and visual vhanges depending on what accessories your character wears.
7. Swimming and diving functionality.

This is probably the best Harvest Moon game that isn't Rune Factory Frontier, although if you didn't like Runies or combat and adventure, then this is the best.
 #165655  by Shrinweck
 Fri May 01, 2015 12:54 am
They got around to adding a customized scenario mode to This War of Mine so I'm playing that again. You can choose game length (up to 80 days), if winter happens at all/severity/length/how soon it happens, custom characters with new professions, what locations show up on the night map (and their situation), and bandit severity.
 #165697  by Julius Seeker
 Mon May 04, 2015 5:17 am
I've been mostly playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3D lately, this time I am completing all of the side quests and realizing this game wasn't balanced for that.

Xenoblade uses a system similar to Earthbound in that if the player is too strong, weaker enemies will not engage. So I am able to get around the world without most regular enemies attacking. Boss battles are fairly easy too; in other words, if you do all of the quests, you will be over-leveled. The game is probably balanced for the player to do about a quarter of them on top of some fighting.

On my first run through where I ignored almost all the side quests, I recall building up to unleash chain attacks on bosses to be absolutely essential points to victory. There were a few points where I did need to stop and complete quests to build up exp and cash. Doing all of the side quests is more rewarding in that it involves a lot of little side stories that flesh out the world. Where this game differs from the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles X is that the side quests in Xenoblade 1 are just that, side-quests - the stories are mostly independent of the main story, even though the main story may create the setting which the side quests exist in. In Xenoblade X, the side quests are mostly all a part of the main story.
 #165931  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 19, 2015 12:32 am
Crypt of the Necrodancer is probably the best roguelike I've played since FTL. It rolls what I love about rhythm games, dungeon delvers, and roguelikes all into one beautifully simple/frustratingly complex game. Basically the only thing you do is tap one of the four directional keys on your keyboard to the beat of the music. When an enemy is in range, hitting the movement key in their direction will attack instead of move. This is basically the entire game. Different enemies move to the beat in different ways and also have wildly different ways of trying to attack you. From here you have to attack, dodge, and predict enemies to the beat in a way that when it comes together is pretty amazing.
 #165937  by kali o.
 Tue May 19, 2015 3:35 am
Witcher 3, Life is Strange, Galactic Civ 3....Way too much to play.
 #165942  by kali o.
 Wed May 20, 2015 11:31 am
Thanks to that silly mobile game Seeker shared, I finished Final Fantasy 3 (6j) last night. I always had a hard time deciding which was my favorite FF game...it was a toss up between iv and vi. But after replaying it, Final Fantasy vi doesn't hold up well today. Kefka is a shitty villian, the story is weak and the gameplay just feels "off".

Gonna replay Final Fantasy iv next at some point.
 #165943  by Don
 Wed May 20, 2015 11:51 am
I always thought FF6 is one of those 'it's the journey not the destination' deals. I think it suffered from having too many characters so that some of them you just didn't really care what happened to them but I think all the major characters are at least resolved somewhat satisfactorily. Oddly enough, the only guy who even has any personal grudge with Kefka, Cyan, seems to be there for just comedy relief, and beyond that it's just like this guy Kefka is throwing lightning bolts at people from this tower so we got to get rid of him and his 3 uber statues.
 #165945  by kali o.
 Thu May 21, 2015 4:35 am
I think it was the gameplay additions (blitz, swordtechs, ATB, Lore, Rage, espers, etc) that made me like the game at the time. Coming back now, those things aren't novel, so I had to deal with just the game itself...and I walked away disappointed.

I am interested to see how I feel about a FFIV replay. I know the story will be cheesy, but I still imagine the Kain/Cecil/Rydia/Rosa/Twin sacrifice/spoony bard/etc drama will have aged better than FFVI.