The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Dwarf Fortress for Dummies

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #163609  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:04 pm
Does anyone else here play this game? If not, spend a bit of time with this series, and it'll be fairly easy to get into:

#163615  by Anarky
 Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:25 pm
I played it, and was surprised how CPU intensive it could be. You really need to install mods on top of it to make it more newb friendly.
 #163616  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:00 pm
I use the Mayday tileset, and play in worlds with no aquifers, just because they limit progress too much without using irritating methods to mine through that layer. The therapist app as well.

I have attempted the isometric view mods, but I find that they seem to only be good as a display for other people to watch the game on rather than actually try to play using it.

Although getting into the game is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. The only real issue is, as this guy says, that players should follow tool tips and ignore most of the options available at the beginning of the game.

I do think this game could benefit from a tutorial or mini-quest system for new players though.
 #171546  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:18 pm
Thirteen years after its initial launch, and 18 years after it began development. Dwarf Fortress is finally coming to Steam with a paid enhanced version. Due to waning funds from their traditional donation format, they've decided to give the game a graphical and interface overhaul to make it palatable for the mainstream Steam audience. That means dummies can play and enjoy this amazing game too =)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9753 ... _Fortress/

Depending on the price, I can see this being a fairly big hit. Perhaps setting up the brothers for life. Some will see it as selling out, but IMO it's smartening up.